Scam - Wendy Terry - how to con £3000

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
HolidayWebs

Scam - Wendy Terry - how to con £3000

Post by HolidayWebs »

I've just had this one reported by one of the advertisers on our site:

"My name is wendy,Three (3) of my employees will be coming over for an Exhibition and training that will last for a period of two weeks and I want an attractive enviroment for them. I wish to book an apartment(Accomodation) for the 1st of
september To be precise, it will be booked from 1st October to 14th of October that is for a period of 14 days. Please let me know if it will be available and the total cost for thatperiod .
Let me read from you today.
Kind Regard
wendy

After several discussion re payment by cheque, she responds:

"Hello,
The payment has been sent to you,but there is some mixed up with the amount written on the cheque instead of my accountant to issue the cheque of an amount of £650 a UK cheque of £3650 was sent to you. I didn't know what actually came over him, it could be a stress of work though.So please,all you need to do is that as soon as you receive the cheque and get it cleared you are to deduct your cost and send the excess fund back. Let me read from you today so that I can know my
stand.Am very sorry about this just bear with me.
I look forward to reading from you.
Regards
Visit http://www.puertopollensa.com ... you'll love it!
The most beautiful resort in Mallorca.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Oh! Come on. It's a "no brainer" and always was.

"I'll send you a million pounds, you deduct your penny and send the balance back."

Is there anyone who doesn't know the trick? Did anyone ever fall for it in the first place? Whoever has fallen for this trick must have fallen out of a very tall tree.

Alan
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

I have often been tempted, and so assume that others may have similar ideas, to go through with this scam, and bank the money, but not return the excess.

As I understand the scam, the money will appear to clear, but then later bounce. So what have I got to lose ? Nobody can accuse me of theft as there is nothing to be "stolen".

Where's the flaw ? There has to be one !
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I had one from Mary Adams this weekend in French.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Richard,

Why be tempted by an obvvious scam? It will waste your time and gain you nothing. Unless you have time to waste, why bother? There's nothing there so there's nothing to gain, why bother?

Alan
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I agree Alan, the best thing to do with them is hit the delete key!!!!
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Oh, I dunno, I'm just being fanciful here, but if everyone who received these scams did as I suggest, we'd really make their life hell, and that just may give us some perverse satisfaction, or at best (he said hopefully) encourage them to give up.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I doubt they'd give up.
cc

Post by cc »

Richard, maybe I am missing something but what on earth will you gain. The cheques always bounce and perhaps you will get a bank charge for letters sent telling you that the cheque bounced so "refer to drawer". I cannot see the point of that.
Highams Park Harry

Post by Highams Park Harry »

I suppose it's worth playing along to the point of getting them to send a cheque, frame it thereafter

There most be some cost and effort for them to produce a decent bad cheque

suspect you'd be graded as a dullard that's an easy mark though and start to be buried in all sorts of approaches
Dordogne Holiday Cottage, sleeps eight
http://www.ruedelagare.co.uk