40th birthday party

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
la vache!

40th birthday party

Post by la vache! »

I've got a little dilemma - I have rented out all three of my houses for the first week in July to a very nice man who is celebrating his 40th birthday. He came out with a few friends last year to see the places and everything was fine. He asked if I could book him into a local resto for the actual evening of the party, which I did. I thought that all the celebrations would be done there, but I've just followed a link from my website to his and found out that everyone (and there are about 40, some staying elsewhere) has been invited back for a party disco to my place. I haven't been told about this, but I have neighbours who have to get up early for work (as do I) and I really don't want all my glasses and things used as no doubt there will be some breakages, so I'd rather plastic cups were used.
What would you do?
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

I think I would tell him that it's just not on, and offer to help him find somewhere to hold the disco. You are offering a holiday home after all, not a party venue!
I think he's really trying to take advantage by planning this without having the courtesy to mention it, let alone ask permission. I wouldn't dream of holding a disco in someone else's property.
debk

Post by debk »

What a drag.

It might seem awkward, but I guess you could tell him that you followed the link to his site and saw the "disco" announcement and, as a courtesy, wanted to let him know asap that this is not allowed at the properties. Here in Portugal, for instance, there is a law that you can't make noises that can be heard by the neighbors after certain hours (7pm, 10pm, etc). Hopefully you have something similiar and can use that.

Have you considered adding something like this to your rental agreement? Wording isn't great but it's worked for me. (We stopped a planned cast party once by off-handedly reminding the guests of the clause... it turn the situation from us being bad guys to them being very apologetic.)
7. The maximum number of guests onsite must not exceed the 'Number of Guests' stated in your "Reservation Confirmation" email. As such, parties, meetings, etc., are expressly forbidden. Violation of this clause will result in immediate termination of occupancy and forfeiture of all payments.
Just thought of this, too: when I get an inquiry about renting more than one of our properties, I have this drafted email-thingy which I add to the note, changing the words/tone as appropriate to the ongoing conversation. "GROUP RENTALS: Though right in the city center, the houses are priviledged to be on an extremely quiet, hidden lane. We're great friends with the neighbors and they enjoy our guests, partly because none has yet forced us to exercise our rather draconian -- but sincere -- party/noise eviction clause. Absolutely no parties, loud music, raised voices in the street nor on the terraces. If you are looking for a place to party, we can't help. However, if you are looking for a quiet, charming base just 8 minutes walk from Lisbon's main plaza (Rossio), I think our little houses will fit the bill. Should you decide to make a reservation, we would like to have the names and ages of everyone in the group. From there, we could send a secure link for credit card payment. If you have any additional questions, please don't hesitate to ask!"

Good luck, Susan. Really hoping all will go well!
debk
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

Susan,
I would consider this a big dilemma, not a little one!!!
OMG - what to do? I too would be extremely nervous about someone holiding a party at my house, even without the problem of disturbing the neighbours (we don't have any). How do you know that people are going to look after the property, especially when they are in a party mood? If you do decide to let this go ahead, could you maybe increase the security deposit?
I like Deb's clause in her rental agreement, but obviously you can't apply this retrospectively.

Let us know how this one pans out...
enid

Post by enid »

Don't some people take the biscuit?! - I think that you have to call him to say you've noticed on his website that he is having a disco - but there must be some mistake as it says that it's to be held at ypour property - ask him if he has hired a hall or does he need you to help him with that.
debk

Post by debk »

...but there must be some mistake as it says that it's to be held at your property - ask him if he has hired a hall or does he need you to help him with that.
i like this.
debk
Nessie

Post by Nessie »

Ok different kettle of fish as we are chambre d hote, but last year I had a group of Americans staying for a local wedding, they had come over with a much larger group that were staying in other local B&B.
I came home one afternoon to find about 20 people in the garden and some in the pool. I just went up to the person who had booked our rooms and told them that I was very sorry but their guests would have to leave as my insurance did not cover me for people who were not staying in my house.
The next day I got an apology, flowers and 3 bottles of wine but was then asked me if it would be possible to have a bbq that evening and if 15 of the guests could come. I did agree in the end but set ground rules that the pool was not to be used the party had to be finished by midnight everything cleaned away and only paper and plastic to be used, of course in our case we were also invited to join in so were on hand during the evening if things did get out of hand and of course we don’t have any neighbours to worry about.
Think maybe if you do go ahead i would increase your security deposit
Nessie
A-two

Re: 40th birthday party

Post by A-two »

Susan wrote:I've got a little dilemma - I have rented out all three of my houses for the first week in July to a very nice man .....
He doesn't sound like a nice man to me. Nice men do not do things like this. Hard as it would be to bite the bullet, I would rather lose the booking on all 3 properties for a week than allow someone onto my property who had demonstrated that they had every intention of turning it into a cheap nightclub without even telling me. After all, this is not a teenager trying it on, this person is 40, they ought to know better don't you think? It shows absolutely no respect for you, your property or your neighbors.

Consequently, I would take a very tough stance with this person and stand my ground very firmly to stop him dead in his tracks.

First I would ask him when he had intended to tell me that he was throwing a party at my property. The answer of course is that he wasn't going to tell you, evidenced by a long silence. I would then ask him who he had arranged to be the DJ, and what kind of equipment they were planning to bring.

Whatever his answer, I would advise him that his plans constitute a group function for which a commercial venue is required and since our property does not have a town permit to operate as a commercial venue, we have a serious problem with all of this.

I would advise him that you are only allowing those people who are booked into the property as paying guests to set foot on the property at any time of day or night, no additional guests. As well, we exercise a "quiet time policy" between the hours of 10.30pm and 8am. (I really don't care if there is a law or not - as owners, we have the right to set a noise policy in consideration of the neighbors and the rest of the community).

Finally, and borrowing loosely from Debk, you could tell him that he is entitled to have the party of his dreams, and since you don't want to be the one to ruin it for him, perhaps he and his friends ought to go elsewhere and you'll try and re-rent the place to someone else.

However, if you do decide to let him set foot on the property, then I agree with Nessie that you need a security deposit on this one, and I would make it $1,000 at least. Otherwise what assurances do you have that he's not going to defy you and go ahead anyway?
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Thanks for all the advice everyone - I have to say the more I think about it the worse it is. I don't want to offend anyone or come across as racist, but the fact that they are Irish isn't helping (in my experience they know how to party hard!). Having potentially tipsy people around the pool also fills me with horror.
I've sent my reply and taken a bit from everyone I think!

"I hope you don’t mind, but I followed a link from my webstats and found your birthday site, which is very impressive!
However, I wasn’t sure if there was some mistake as I read that you were planning to invite everyone back here for a party/disco after the meal I booked for you in the restaurant. I’m afraid that a party/disco with music really constitutes a commercial event and I have no insurance other than that for the people actually staying in my properties. I also have neighbours close by who I really can’t afford to upset with any noise.
I know that the restaurant provide a big room until about 2am where you can dance and play music - if this is of any interest.
I’m really sorry about this, maybe I should have realised when you made the original booking that this is what you intended to do without having it spelt out so apologies if I have been a bit dense in this!"

I'll let you know the response.
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

Good letter Susan - I wait with bated breath to hear his response!
Ju

Post by Ju »

I think this is a well worded response to a difficult situation. Fingers crossed there are no problems.

Ju
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Fingers crossed for you Susan, the ideal outcome would be a party at the restaurant, no lost booking, and a spotless house at the end of it all.
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

A great reply well done! Awaiting the next installment!
cromercrabholiday

Post by cromercrabholiday »

Susan wrote:Having potentially tipsy people around the pool also fills .
POTENTIALLY! You've got to be serious - these people are celebrating a 40th birthday, some of them will be seriously out of it/ three sheets to the wind/ pickled as newts - in combination with a swimming pool, this would not be good.

Good luck in you guest management

John
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

cromercrabholiday wrote:Good luck in you guest management. John
...and do be sure to tell us the outcome Susan, as we'll all be worrying
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be