replacing broken items in rented property

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
paul smith

replacing broken items in rented property

Post by paul smith »

Hi all, what would one do regarding minor accidents when property is being rented such as a broken diner plate, a tear in the fitted sheet etc..

Take out of secuiry deposit or ask then to replace for like?

Paul :D
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I've had an odd glass or two broken, and haven't charged for them. We've broken a few in the dishwaher ourselves, so it's obviously a hazard. I might charge for a dinner plate, if I had to buy a whole new set to replace it though, but I bought a spare set and kept it for replacements. On the whole I don't think I'd bother for an odd thing or two, but if my bedspreads were stained from spills or the sink or lelectrical items damaged that would be different. I have always replaced anything we broke in other properties.
debk

Post by debk »

If something is broken by simple accident, I don't charge. This has included a showerhead snapped off by a very tall German guest attempting to adjust the (rather weak) nozzel-holder upwards, plates, glasses, etc. Basically, if I can see that I or my family might accidently do likewise, I don't charge: it is "normal wear and tear."

If, however, something is broken by negligence -- our only example in hundreds of guests being a chair totally smashed by rough-housing brothers -- then I charged for the repair.

If someone charged me for broken plates or dishes, I would personally feel nickle-and-dimed. Things break... I think we, the owners, should plan for that accordingly.

Just my two cent. :)
debk
LaLuz

Post by LaLuz »

I take the view that accidents do happen so I don't charge for the odd glass, cup etc.

I purposely bought crockery and glassware that would be easy to replace and plenty of it so that a breakage wouldn't be immediately noticeable.

Some guests do replace things, I now have more tumblers than I started with and some ask me to take it out of the deposit, but I never have.
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

I agree with all the above replies and this is what I put in my inventory:
...we understand that items such as the odd piece of crockery or glass will get broken as part of daily living and we do not intend to charge for this type of mishap unless it is extensive. All we ask is that you are open and honest with the caretaker and let him know of any breakages so that they can be replaced for the next visitors.
Please note however, that should there be any major breakages or damages to the property or objects within it then this will unfortunately have to be deducted from the security deposit, as per the terms of the rental agreement.
I think it is far better to accept any minor breakages and put it down to "wear and tear" than to be nit-picky and charge for the odd broken glass, which is not good PR. If you broke a glass in a restaurant, how would you feel if they added the cost to your bill? I certainly would never return and would have a good moan to all my friends!
cromercrabholiday

Post by cromercrabholiday »

I think it is far better to accept any minor breakages and put it down to "wear and tear" than to be nit-picky and charge for the odd broken glass, which is not good PR. If you broke a glass in a restaurant, how would you feel if they added the cost to your bill? I certainly would never return and would have a good moan to all my friends!
Absolutely agree - like I am now starting to moan extensively as I was short-changed at Pret's in London and they haven't dealt with my complaint properly - two e-mails and no response. This will not be good publicity for them!

On the other hand we had a bad experience at Euro-Disney ten years ago that they handled well (basically, gave the whole party another holiday) and I've been singing their praises ever since.

John
enid

Post by enid »

I purposely bought crockery and glassware that would be easy to replace and plenty of it so that a breakage wouldn't be immediately noticeable.
Same here - it's why we've gone for white plates etc which I liven up with coloured napkins and place mats - that seems to work well. I have an enormous store of wine glasses - I love it when guests come owning up to breaking one glass or something - reminds me of when I was headteacher and kids got sent to my room - I always say thanks for letting me know so that I can replace the item and reassure them that it's seen as wear and tear. Some have rpelaced things anyway and told me afterwards.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Same as above - accidents happen and I wouldn't dream of being so penny pinching as to deduct the odd glass from the security deposit. Most people buy new ones to replace anything broken themselves - often much nicer things than the originals! Cafetières are my big problem, the pot is very fragile and people seem to break them easily in the sink. 9 times out of 10 I can't find a replacement pot for the particular brand so have to buy a new machine.
Marion

Post by Marion »

Same as above also.
I find guest usually replace if they can - but it is not something I would expect them to do - who wants to search for suitable replacements on holiday!
We once rented an apartment in Port Grimaud. One of the wine glasses broke in the dish washer. When I told the agent she made such a song and dance about us not having replaced it - there was more drama than in a Shakespear play.
I thought I was doing the right thing by telling her - I had no idea where to go there to purchase glassware. Needless to say an amount was taken out of the deposit. It was 4 years ago and I am still annoyed about it!
No need to go far to shop 'til you drop - just go next door to Chanel. http://rueparadis.monsite.wanadoo.fr/
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Hi. I completely agree with the majority here. We don't charge for minor breakages. Like Deb, we had guests that broke the shower head, others who broke the loo seat. I replaced them both, no charge. I always cash security deposits but have only deducted something once. I took out £30 for a brand new ,quality, garden table that someone dragged across the garden with the umbrella and iron umbrella stand still in the middle- needless to say, it broke!! She told me about it, so I took out partial cost - I probably should have charged the full cost as I had to replace it and of course the chairs matched the table, so it was quite a saga as they were all sold out . :( . Ho hum, just another thing to deal with :wink:

www.thepetitmanoir.com
Foxandsot

Post by Foxandsot »

I agree with everyone else too. We are not renting our property out yet but from the viewpoint of a holiday maker, I think I would be a bit upset to be charged for breaking a glass or plate, accidents happen. I think if you charge for minor breakages the chances of that customer recommending you or returning themselves is quite slim.

Michelle
LaLuz

Post by LaLuz »

One of the problems with guests replacing broken items is that you could end up with mismatched glasses or crockery which I want to avoid.
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

You are right about the mismatches. I usually just get rid of them and replace with matching ones. Like others I bought at least twice as many as I needed of everything so that I could replace them . I bought extra glasses ( not easy to store though) but even so the red wine spares are running low. If I change them I have to change them all as everything matches- white wine, red wine, champagne flutes, goblets, highballs. Ho hum, my personal cupboards are going to be full of oddities :wink:

www.thepetitmanoir.com
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

We don't charge either. We have white IKEA crockery and tumblers with a spare set stashed away in the attic. The rest of our glasses are freebies which come with Maille mustard here in France, they are really quite nice and have green stems which match our kitchen. If anyone breaks one, we just have to eat a bit more mustard :D.

Last year some guests spilt red wine on one of our lounger cushions. They insisted on paying for a new one (only 10euros) although we wouldn't have deducted it from the deposit. This year we have had to send two mobile phones back to the UK (I am hoping that this is because people are so relaxed that they have completely forgotten about their phones). We have deducted postage from the deposit at the request of the guests as it is relatively expensive, 25 euros for slow post and 52 euros for express delivery.

Sarah
Nightowl

Post by Nightowl »

We don't charge for minor breakages but have found that people replace stuff anyway. I can't say I'm that bothered about mismatched glassware etc in any case....

And so far, no one has damaged anything to the extent that I've needed to keep any deposit either...

But whilst we are on the subject of glassware/breakages, we had an incident when we were at our place that made me think a bit.

My daughter was helping with tidying up and put a spice jar back in a cupboard. As the cupboard was fairly full with tins and cooking sauces etc, it pushed another spice jar out, which fell onto the worktop onto a glass tumbler. Which shattered and pieces flew off it and hit her on the hand and in the leg. Blood everywhere and crying daughter barefoot in the middle of a load of broken glass.

We did sort her out and no stitches required, although her hand stung every time she went swimming.

I know it was a freak accident but I have replaced most glassware now with frosted plastic tumblers and large frosted plastic coloured wine goblets (just in case) and also tried to make sure the spices/ jar cupboard is no longer too full.... I just hate the thought of the same thing happening to any of my guest's children and them having to rush off to hospital for stitches.
Nightowl
Forever going one step forwards and two
backwards......