replacing broken items in rented property

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Highams Park Harry

Post by Highams Park Harry »

your call natch but that's what glass does, it breaks sometimes

a lino floor rather than tiles is a good idea

otherwise, it happens, surely, you can't wrap everything up in cotton wool

only me but I like to drink out of glass, hang the danger and risk
Dordogne Holiday Cottage, sleeps eight
http://www.ruedelagare.co.uk
enid

Post by enid »

When my daughter was 11 she got cut by some glass - we were walking down the iasle ibn a supermarket and a bottle exploded and some glass caught her leg nd she had to have 3 stitches. Afterwards my friend said I should sue - but as Harry says glass breaks, accidents happen - nobody's fault in my book. Yesterday I had a tray of clean glasses and cups ready to put away and the cat landed on them trying to get to the window (I know I know but he has issues )- all broken - I should sue that cat!!!! I have chidren in my gites -I provide plastic and glass - there could be an accident - but that's life.
A-two

Post by A-two »

Susan wrote:Cafetières are my big problem, the pot is very fragile and people seem to break them easily in the sink.
Susan,
If you ask them not to remove the glass jug from the metal holder, rather to treat it as one piece and to place it whole into the dishwasher as you would any other jug, it won't break. I have been doing that for 20 years on my 3 cafetieres of varying sizes and they are still sparkling, with only two broken inserts in all that time, which I found online at Bodum. Even though mine are the original metal cafetieres, not Bodum, their inserts fit.

Hope this helps.

P.S. I don't charge for glass breakages or the odd damaged towel - it's the cost of doing business
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

I provide a whole load of plastic "glasses" and cups as well as the really nice ones- I ask the guests to use those outside so we don't get broken glass round the pool or in the garden generally. I keep them separate from the rest,and they seem to get put back in their proper place too surprisingly !! Little children are better with plastic anyway :roll:
A-two

Post by A-two »

Fraise,
I agree and Ikea has some great plastic this year, really cheap. Packs of bowls, beakers, knives, forks, spoons for children, almost grown up size, sturdy and beautiful brights mixed color sets.

Our guests were buying a lot of disposable paper plates and plastic tumblers, then passing onto others. Obviously there was a need, and not wanting to have to provide disposables for them every week, instead I have added an extra dinner service in melamine, as well seafood platters, water jugs, beakers and wine glasses.

People like to eat outside and take stuff to the beach (or I guess pool if you have one) and since I added more of the high quality plastic, as opposed to disposables, I seem to have had fewer glass breakages and they don't seem to be buying the disposables any more.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Joanna,
I think we are talking about different cafetières! I used he French name, but it is in fact a filter coffee maker. The pots are just glass, there is no metal frame as the pots rest on the hot plate. I know the Bodum ones you mean, but the French have to have filter coffee!
Nightowl

Post by Nightowl »

Highams Park Harry wrote:your call natch but that's what glass does, it breaks sometimes

a lino floor rather than tiles is a good idea

only me but I like to drink out of glass, hang the danger and risk
Yeah, I know, it was just one of those things, could happen anywhere. You are right, you can't wrap everything up in cotton wool.
Nightowl
Forever going one step forwards and two
backwards......
A-two

Post by A-two »

Susan wrote:Joanna,
I think we are talking about different cafetières!
Hmmm...maybe. I am talking about this:-

What are you talking about?
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Joanna,
Here's mine! The French won't even contemplate making coffee without a filter paper and electricity!Image
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Susan

Do you think it may be a regional thing in France?

We've had a recent French guest who was totally fanatic about coffee, and wasn't interested in any of our Italian gadgetry.

His was the Joanna-thing plus imported French coffee plus 1930's style packs of chicory (?) to mix their brew in precise quantities, which varied throughout an 18 hour-day ending with an 100% full-on eyeball-dancing final 1/4 litre before retiring and to help them through the caffeine-free night.

Milk was never seen nor mentioned.

Goat
Last edited by Mountain Goat on Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Joanna,

We have every shape and size of coffee maker, right up to the most complex Espresso machine known to man (nice coffee if you want to make a thimble full - slowly).

Your example is the one we always use. Bought and used in their millions. The rest gather dust.

Alan
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Agree - the cafetière seems to be the item most used at our property too, although we do have an electric filter coffee maker like Susan's, and husband is convinced the coffee tastes better than when made in the cafetière - preferably with an equal amount of hot milk. It's also less hassle to clean. :)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Our last lot of French guests rejected all our coffee making paraphenalia and brought their own teapot.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

:lol: :lol: :lol: That'll teach us to stereotype!

Hmm, though I wonder what sort of tea they made - good old Darjeeling, or something healthier? Guess we'll never know...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

My French guests often bring their own cafetière just in case as they know I'm British. The Bodum version just wasn't acceptable!