Why put Google ads on your personal website?

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
Mountain Goat

Why put Google ads on your personal website?

Post by Mountain Goat »

Could anyone let me know the point of adding Google Ads on one's holiday rental website? Why detract from one's own site with content over which you have no control?

Or is it some click-through money generator, and if so, can it be worth it for the few pence it would produce?

Or some Brownie-point earner with Google with the links?

Goat
mpprh

Post by mpprh »

Hi

Not sure it has much impact with google search.

By definition, you will get competing ads. You can filter individual advertisors, but they change rapidly.

Search this forum for previous comments about google adsense. Few people click, and earnings per click are low - and reducing.

From an earnings point of view, it only makes sense if you have, say, 1+m pages read per year.

Peter
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Peter, thanks for that, I'll do my background reading.

Besides income, is there any simple answer why it's done? I'm a bit slow on the uptake here.

Goat
mpprh

Post by mpprh »

Hi

I think it is just money.

If you lost just one booking due to someone clicking on a competitor, it would need 000's of clicked ads to get that money back. 1m views of the ads produces about GBP 1500.

Peter
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com
marcus

Post by marcus »

I had the bright idea of puting google ads on recently - after we were more or less full for the year, so I wasn't worried about people clicking on an ad and going elsewhere. By that stage, of course, no one was looking for a holiday...so I made almost nothing from it.
ourinns

Post by ourinns »

I only put the ads on pages like our regional guide where we get a lot of people looking but not necessarily looking for what we offer in our own property therefore little should be lost through people clicking on an advert.

I have seen people increasingly put ads on their own property page but that seems slightly nutty to me. Even a B&B place can easily lose £50 for a 10p click; for those running self-catering, the 10p pales into insignificance against £500 odd lost for a week.

On the other hand, would you really lose any bookings? I've been having a look at the ads coming up on some of the ourgites.org pages for individual properties and there seems to be an awful lot of people out there who haven't a clue how to use adwords (which creates the google ads) going by the almost complete irrelevance of the ads.

Arnold
TravelPixel

Post by TravelPixel »

You dont have to go for adsense ads, there are other PPC companies out there. We use MIVA and espotting which lets us create our own bespoke ads, rather than having to stick to what google provides and its little 'ads by google' message!

If you can handle a little programming then you can achieve some good results with them.

I think in general people are becoming blind to adsense ads as they follow the same generic format when it comes to the textual promotions.

Dave :D