Sun Cream

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Sarah

Sun Cream

Post by Sarah »

I wondered if anyone else is experiencing problems with coloured childrens' suncream. We have developed a lovely green stain on the waterline of our pool which I'm told by our pool man is down to coloured suncream. I've scrubbed and scrubbed but to no avail.

We have a very pale blue liner and it really shows up. I wondered whether it would be reasonable to ask people well in advance, say when the balance is due, if they wouldn't mind using something else. I have used it on my children and don't find the colouring particularly helpful, so I'm sure it wouldn't be that much of a problem. I'd be prepared to throw in a free bottle of uncoloured childrens' sun cream with the welcome pack if necessary as it really is a problem.

I'd be grateful for your views.

Sarah.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Sarah, I really do sympathise! I haven't come across the green one yet, but someone put some thick yellow stuff on a baby last year that ruined the water line of our lovely (brand new) blue liner. I tried everything to remove it but nothing works, not even neat bleach. I have added a section to the house notes now that requests that people do NOT go in the pool immediately after applying sun protection, but how much good it will do I don't know. I had some other people use something else that seemed to coagulate whene it reached the water and blocked the filter bags immediately. I think it is something you just have to live with now, unfortunately, but I wouldn't feel at all bad in asking them to use a colourless product instead - even if some of them respect this it may limit future damage.
Ju

Post by Ju »

Sun cream is a problem I grant you. I've not had a problem with the coloured ones, but I have had problems before with the very thick factor 30 creams. Especially when parents smother their children in it about 5 second before they go in the pool.

However I am really not sure if I, as a parent, would be happy to have the type of cream I used dictated to me.

I personally use P20 on my children, and if a property owner tried to tell me it wasn't allowed I would just ignore them.

Ju
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

I think if you explain the problem, in advance, then most people would be sympathetic and understanding. Anyone who owns a pool would certainly understand, and people who don't have a pool of their own, generally just wouldn't have given it a thought.
I remember my Mother in law, complaining about sun cream, when my kids were young. At the time I was horrified to think that she expected them to go in a pool without protection. Had she explained that that allowing the cream time to soak in would help keep the pool clean, I would have understood.
If people know of the problem in advance, then they have plenty of time to buy something acceptable, and if you leave a bottle of something suitable, for those who forget,I can't see anyone having a problem.I should think that most people are only too plesed to have a pool and would be happy to go along with your (very reasonable) suggestion.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

It's becoming very difficult to buy a children's sun prep. without colur in it. My neice is allergic to the colours, and her Mum is having difficulty finding something suitable.
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Thanks everyone.

I think I will send a little note out well in advance and then have a spare bottle up my sleeve. It does seem reasonable, after all I'm just asking, not insisting and even if it only stops a few, it'll help.

I'll also mention it in my house notes as you have Susan, including the bit about letting it soak in before jumping into the pool.

Incidentally, we have all adults at the moment and the liner was distinctly yellow this morning when we cleaned the pool, so perhaps they've started to put colouring in adult sun cream now. :(

Whilst I'm on the subject, does anyone have any tips for getting rid of the stain, I've tried everything I can think off.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I started a thread about a year ago and got some very helpful suggestions, however, none worked for my stain unfortunately! I'm afraid I can't find the thread at the moment.
ejc-free

Post by ejc-free »

Alot of suncreams also have some "fake tan" included to help you get a boost when starting your holiday - these may well contribute to colouring the liners / filters etc.....
Carpe diem
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Oh dear, we've only had our pool a year - is this what our liner can look forward to? :(
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Jane,
it may never happen to you! In the 5 years of our old liner we never had any lasting stains. It's just bad luck that within 6 weeks of replacing the old liner with a new one (cost 2500€) someone used the wrong sort of cream on their baby (I know exactly which family it was, just as I know the horrible child who punctured the original liner so the water leaked out.) Unfortunately it's just one of those things.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Susan wrote:I started a thread about a year ago and got some very helpful suggestions, however, none worked for my stain unfortunately! I'm afraid I can't find the thread at the moment.
I contributed to that thread and I can’t remember where it was either. At the time I was not having any permanent problems but now I am. My border if fairly old and is starting to lose its colour and its smooth surface; due to sunshine and chlorine no doubt. The “tide mark stain� is a real stain and nothing will remove it completely.

Alan
paolo

Post by paolo »

Is this the thread?:
viewtopic.php?t=689
Paolo
Lay My Hat
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Thanks Paolo, that's the one, the discussion on Enid's swim went a little off topic!
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Yes, thanks P - I've bookmarked the appropriate page for future ref! :D
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Ooh, err, I've come over all nostalgic!! That conversation seems like a life time ago!!! Lakeland stopped selling tyhose sachet stainless steel cleaners:-( They still do the shower stuff though. Our pool on the rental house is fine, no scummy tide lines yet but would you believe our own pool is still covered with it's winter cover. This is it's 7th summer and it's always been opened by mid May. There is no-one to love it at the mo as we can't get over till mid July, shame hey? :wink: