Hot Tub Spa Rules?

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Buarthau

Hot Tub Spa Rules?

Post by Buarthau »

We've just taken delivery of a 2/3 person hot tub spa with therapy jets etc which will be situated in an outbuilding in an adjoining orchard (when it has been renovated!) We hope this will be a big pull when we start renting (from Xmas 2006). However, I am already starting to worry about how guests may use/abuse the tub - it's not the kind of thing you expect to drain and refil each week! The Spa House will have a shower as it is best to clean any debris off before getting in (the odd piece of bracken stuck to your foot for instance) but I'm more worried about anything the guests may leave in the tub. Anyone have any comments, experience or rules they can help me with please? I guess I may also need to provide robes but the size of the weekly linen basket is already frightening...
cromercrabholiday

Post by cromercrabholiday »

Hot tub maintenance is critical as they can grow nasty bugs - are you on site? I would have a chat with a local gym to find out whether they have problems and what they do about it.

John
Buarthau

Post by Buarthau »

Dear John
Yes, we are on site and have usual access to the various water tests required on a regular basis. We will obviously do water checks after each rental but I just wondered if those of you out there with experience of hot tubs would have sorted some 'rules' and instructions. Maybe small pools would have similar considerations. I hate to think of a particularly steamy session which left the spa with an unpleasant mix for the next rental!
Cheers
GAYE
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Why not have a list of rules and regs on the wall next to the spa. That way they can easily be reminded to shower before they get in etc. Surely there must be some automatic cleaning method available?
enid

Post by enid »

We have a spa - we haven't posted any rules except to point out that 15 mins in either the spa or the sauna is the recommended limit. Our spa automatyically cleans after each use and we do regular checks as per the swimming pool. I think I must be the dirtiest user - the guest are usually much cleaner than me!!!!
Buarthau

Post by Buarthau »

Gosh - 15 mins max - I hadn't heard of that one. Thanks Enid. (I'll have to drink my wine faster then..). As we're not renting till Xmas or beyond (i.e when we finish the renovation) we ourselves will be 'testing' it first. Hopefully we can write any rules based on our own experience and then ensure they are placed prominently near the spa as HelenB suggests. The spa kind of auto cleans as it has a large filter and if there is any bacteriological problem when tested you can buy some special treatments. I'm less sure about detritus on feet but I guess my teenage son will answer that one for me!

John - I've drawn a blank re spas in gyms. Seems that Snowdonia isn't big on gym membership - could be all these mountains we have as an alternative/cheap source of exercise. I have to walk 1/4 ml each way even to our nearest neighbour! I'll try to track down anyone in N Wales using spas in rental accommodation for some feedback. Any other spa owners out there??
enid

Post by enid »

The 15 mins is something to do with your blood heating up to match the temp of the sauna or spa - you are really supposed to take a break - but we don't always!!! I think your spa will do an automatic clean after each use and then you check weekly and add chemicals as needed
Buarthau

Post by Buarthau »

Thanks Enid - do you supply robes and/or extra towels for the spa?
GAYE
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

The spa in our gym works on a 10 minute cycle. 10 on then 10 off.
enid

Post by enid »

I don't provide extra towels as we provide pool towels and I expect them to use those. I did order 4 towelling robes for the health suite users from 'Out of Eden'. They are so loveley that we have taken one each and I haven't had time to replace them yet for the guests! They were only £11 each - great value.