Selling on e-bay

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Marion

Selling on e-bay

Post by Marion »

I have followed the advice on the other topic 'Should I be panicking yet?' about posting on e-bay. Many thanks to Welsh Goat about the advice.

However I have just received an e-mail from e-bay removing my listing
We appreciate that you chose eBay to list the following auction-style listing(s):

6639478734 - Smart Apartment for Holiday Rental in Centre of Nice

However, your listing was in breach of eBay's Circumvention of eBay Fees policy and has been removed from eBay. We have credited all associated fees to your account and notified eBay users associated with the transaction that it has been cancelled.

" We would like to take this opportunity to let you know what part of your listing is not permitted.

Your listing(s) contains the following information:

THIS IS NOT AN AUCTION
PLEASE DO NOT BID...etc"
Has anyone else received similar?

PS I did receive an enquiry for a month next May after only 1 day.
No need to go far to shop 'til you drop - just go next door to Chanel. http://rueparadis.monsite.wanadoo.fr/
Ciapolin

Post by Ciapolin »

Yes, I received the same thing yesterday. They objected to me including contact details (phone no. and website) plus the 'do not bid' bits.

I have taken those out and resubmitted it. I'll let you know how it goes.

As Helen pointed out, there are lots of advertisers doing the same thing, but maybe Ebay are putting a stop to it now.
Carole-Anne
Cascina Ciapolin
www.piedmont-holidays.com
ashtondav

Post by ashtondav »

Don't ebay work on a percentage of the auction value?

If so i am only a little surprised that they have only now clamped down on free advertising!

It is, after all, an auction site - not a free classified ad site.

If of course they charge some other fees I am mystified by their actions.
Sometimes i sits and thinks - and sometimes i just sits...
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

It depends on whether they catch you or not!!

I had some rail tickets listed that I couldn't use so I listed them. GNER got in touch with me and threatened to prosecute if I didn't take them off as you aren't supposed to sell them on. Yeah, like I use the hubble telescope to read the very small print on the back of train tickets....

I suppose ebay will see the Do Not Bid as fee avoidance. What really, really annoys me is fee avoidance by selling something cheaply and charging a fortune for postage.

I've also heard of folk who make crafts etc who have put them on ebay then had a contact from the Inland Revenue.

The time I listed I did specific weeks and they were snapped up quickly.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

My listing has just ended it's second run, and I haven't been contacted, not sure why. There seems to be loads of other similar ads on the site too. There were fees associated with my ad, ror posting extra photos, layout etc, and a reserve price fee, just in case some idiot did place a bid. I have a one week booking out of the ad though at full price so I think it was worth it. I'll try it again after I get back from holiday. Welsh Angels ad is there all the time I think.
Ciapolin

Post by Ciapolin »

The fee avoidance only occured to me after they contacted me. That hadn't been my objective and I just amended my ad to reflect what they wanted.

There is a fixed fee service, but unfortunately new sellers can't use it (don't really understand why).
Carole-Anne
Cascina Ciapolin
www.piedmont-holidays.com
A-two

Post by A-two »

Ebay does not monitor ads, it relies on other eBayers. Anyone can report a violation, but typically it would be a competitor who has been stopped from doing the same thing and now doesn't want you to have an unfair advantage.