Cancellation - refund or not?

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
helen

Cancellation - refund or not?

Post by helen »

I took a booking about a month ago for summer 2005, received a deposit of approximately one third of the total rental. Now they have decided that they booked our property by mistake and should have booked another one in the same area with a similar name (although all my correspondence clearly stated the name of our property) What stance should I take on this? There is a good chance I will rebook the week, but should I refuse to refund the deposit, pay a portion of it back or refund in full?
I would appreciate viewpoints on this from other owners.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Helen,

In those circumstances I retain the deposit if I do not get a replacement booking. If I do get a replacement booking then I return the deposit, less additional expenses.

It is all very clearly stated on my booking form, which is a signed document.

Alan
sleekitbeastie

Post by sleekitbeastie »

I agree with Alan. Our booking form says that the deposit is no refundable and this is signed by the booker. However if we relet I refund the deposit. I don't think it would be fair to do otherwise although it would be fully consistent with our signed agreement.
paolo

Post by paolo »

Helen,

If you're not going to lose out I would simply pay back the deposit in full. You have to assume they made an honest mistake and didn't simply find somewhere they liked better.

What is your cancellation policy? In my correspondence I include mine:
"If you have to cancel, I will return any money sent to me (minus bank charges) if I can find another renter for your dates."

So I would tell them I will return their deposit, minus costs, when I receive someone else's deposit for that period.

One of the reasons people may shy away from renting accommodation from owners, rather than staying at a hotel, is because they have to pay so far ahead. I think we need to do what we can to reassure renters that should they have to cancel, they won't necessarily lose out.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
tansy

Post by tansy »

If it's for summer next year I'd refund and say hope you will book us as a real booking next time :lol:

You'll get another booking - the busy time is coming up for all the enquiries.

I am virtually full for next summer but haven't taken a penny yet in deposits - I'll send invoices out in January - 31st December end of our tax year - so then they are under the agreement - if I haven't recieved the deposit within 14 days I will let the reservation go.

I only refund if if it is a long run in...I've only once had a cancellation and felt terrible keeping the full amount - had a feeling they were messing me about - but turned out hubby was up for promotion got offered the job but back in the States - had to take it up in the next 5 days - they went so cancelled (off season) I couldn't resell.