Kitchen Equipment

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

It's a 'must-have' in the Alps for the Emmental.
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Helen, do you have a raclette set? Oh I love raceltte sooo much. I might have to come stay if you do :lol:
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Sue, yes we do, but it is in the cupboard at home at the moment. There's as fondue set there as well.
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

What's a "raclette set"?
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

basically it's a tabletop grill for melting raclett cheese. There's a selection here

However the ones you see in Alpine restaurants are more like a holder for a large block of cheese which heats and melts the surface which you then scrape off onto your cold meats and potatoes. I can't find a pic of one of those though.

edit-see one here
Martha

Post by Martha »

We are definitely putting a fondue set in - I would love to add a raclette but I fear the worst with the mess and possible fire risk as not many people know how to use them. Or am I being over paranoid?
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

A lot of French people who say here bring their own raclette set and there have never been any accidents.
chrismooney

Post by chrismooney »

pity you didnt live closer to me as i have just got rid of most of those items particularly crockery, loads of cafetieres etc at 2 local brocante/boot sales had a great time, made a lot of money and got a good suntan!
chef who will try anything!!
Martha

Post by Martha »

I LOVE the idea that a French family would pack their own raclette set!

I'm more worried about people from other countries who wouldn't know how to work it. I'd never seen one until I went to the alps...
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I think if you have the one with the grill on top, and the little pans for the cheese, most people wouldn't have a problem with it, particularly if they're regular skiers/mountaineers. In my experience most beginners will book a package deal. Just make sure you leave the instructions there. I bought mine in the UK, and they're even in Tesco occasionally.
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

I often use a couple at the same time, great for al fresco dining, people love to cook their own stuff. I have one with a slab of granite on top which seems to cook meat ,fish etc fabby, then I have the more traditional one with a non stick top which we tend to use for veggies more. Having more than one means that you don't have to use all the cheese pans which seems to work well with larger numbers ( ironically) as they don't get in a muddle,some seem to like to dunk celery, mushrooms etc straight into the cheese pans! I would not put one in my holiday rental property though cos the idea of a sparkling clean raclette pan has appeal, a manky, sticky one doesn't and I can't ask any more of my lovely friend who cleans/does the changeovers for me !! I think people may not clean them properly afterwards ( a bit like cheese toasty machines !) :cry:

www.thepetitmanoir.com
Martha

Post by Martha »

fraise, I hadn't thought about those big slab ones - they would be good for barbecues! We improvised a raclette with foil on the barbecue last time but it wasn't ideal...

that's a good idea helen, thanks :)

I love the ones with a big rack for live coals, so that's what I was thinking about - I'd forgotten about the electric ones. :D

I found this one on ebay, I thought this was quite a reasonable price for a nice one like this....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ANDREW-JAMES-8-PE ... dZViewItem

You can get them cheaper:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-WARRANTY-RACL ... dZViewItem

but I think the granite one is a lot nicer....
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Oh, the first one looks a lot like ours, cheaper in France though !! Our other one is like the second one, 'cept ours is round- we're over next week, guess what we'll be having ?/ :wink:
www.thepetitmanoir.com
Martha

Post by Martha »

Thanks fraise!

*adds to shopping list for next trip :)