How many links

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
Marvin

How many links

Post by Marvin »

Hi;
I was wondering if the number of links on your site can be too high. We have been exchanging links with as many sites as possible for some time now but I have been told that too many links could give you "link farm" status and hurt your ranking. :( We have the opportunity to exchange links with over 30 European sites and I don't know if I should do it or not.
I have been concentrating on VRBO and VR ad sites with a few (very few) other types of sites thrown in. All links are catagorized by region and type on our site.
Thanks for any help, :)
Marvin
www.rivertrailcountryvacations.com
Highams Park Harry

Post by Highams Park Harry »

loads of stuff about his on forums all over

important to only pick relevant links I think, don't just throw anything on, if you only put links that genuinely will be of interest then you can't go far wrong I think, the anchor text in the incoming link to you is important

there's a very good seo forum at highranking.com

google it and it'll pop up
Dordogne Holiday Cottage, sleeps eight
http://www.ruedelagare.co.uk
Marvin

Post by Marvin »

Thank you for your response.
We have only 7 special interest links and they are in their own catagory. We have 71 links to other sites, all tourism related. MSN says we have 275 back link but according to Google we only have 6.
I will try the site at highranking.com and see if I can find what I need .
Thanks again,
Marvin
:)
oskar

Post by oskar »

You can´t have too many reciprocal links, but try and build one way links from directories and articles etc. as well. They will be more beneficial.
dmjarvis

Make sure they are quality links

Post by dmjarvis »

As has already been said, you should make sure that all of your inbound links are from pages that are relevant to your own offering. This will improve your click-thru rate, as visitors will more likely find your site of interest, but it will also reinforce the relevance of your site to the search engines.

If you are choosing inbound links to boost your own page rank then be careful to make sure that the linking pages also have a decent page rank. The higher their pagerank, the higher will be the value attributed to your link. Broadly speaking, The page rank of the linking webpage will be divided up amongst those sites with links on that page, so getting a link from a page with a rank of 8/10 and being the only site linked-to from that page will improve your rank considerably, whereas being one of a hundred links on a poorly ranked page will gain you virtually nothing.

Hope this helps. Martin