Feeling more secure with personal details

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Lucky you!!!
marrum31

Post by marrum31 »

i have learnt to ask for an address and telephone number, and the age of the children if the prospect hasnt already supplied them. i have had a few people back out of the booking after this.

I only ever give out my telephone number after the 20% deposit has been paid so that they can contact me if they want to (more for peace of mind on both sides)

as for the security deposit, if they can afford a luxury house they can afford the deposit that will be returned to them within a couple of weeks. i have never had anyone grumble at the deposit and only once have i ever been diddled out of it as it is returned minus the cleaning charge (naturally with many apologies and promises to forward it on later lol) my agent never made that mistake again lol
Becky
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Hello all,

I wonder if I am a little (a lot!) naive? :roll:

I sometimes phone guests for a 'chat' ahead of arrival, as this always seems to be appreciated, but otherwise contact is mostly by email, which I find a reasonably good indicator of the people you are dealing with.

To confirm a booking, I ask for names, ages of children, number in party, full address and land/mobile tel. numbers.

I specify on my website listing that a refundable damage deposit cheque for xxx is required on arrival, but am aware that this could easily be cancelled in the event of a problem.

In practice, I rarely (never) take a damage deposit, but explain to guests on arrival that I prefer to work on an 'on trust' basis, whereby they are expected to signal damage to me on departure.

Invariably, there are frequent broken cups and glasses, which I regard as normal wear and tear and would never charge for.

I have also had two broken deck chairs, which I have not charged for either, being a softie and loathe to 'spoil' what has been a successful holiday for the sake of, say, 40-50 euros (maybe a bit more....)

Am I taking too many risks, here? I prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt, but I only have limited experience of the renting 'game'. :?:
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Am I taking too many risks, here? I prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt, but I only have limited experience

Jenny-it's what you are happy with but I always take a security deposit ( a cheque upfront,which I cash). I have broken cups etc as well and of course would not charge for these.Last year I had a charming guest,I "Googled" her and found that she was a very high powered lady. She took other rellies with her ( only 1, 2 more for a few days).She in herself was a sweetie, but not so the rellies who were only there for a few days- they ( two 20 year old Oxford undergrads.) were surprised that I didn't supply charcoal for the BBQ and when it got windy never even considered removing any garden cushions, umbrellas etc to safety.Later ,they decided to drag the garden table, with it's large umbrella and hefty metal stand across the garden..the result was a totally broken table that was all of 2 months old.The table and chairs and brolly all matched. Luckily I had her deposit cheque so I held back just half the price of the cost of the table, nothing for the useless chairs of course( which I had to replace to match the new table !) I KNOW that had I not had the cheque I would not have got the money out of them. You never can tell with people.This lady herself was charming in her e-mails and phone conversations but of course I hadn't met her rellies! The security deposit was essesntial for me :roll:
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Oops- typo- I meant "essential " of course :oops:

www.thepetitmanoir.com
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Poor you, Fraise. I really sympathise. I have only had minor niggles so far, but they have still been enough to make me see red. How is it that some people (only a minority, I hasten to add) are so disrespectful ??

Maybe I will just pocket that sterling cheque .... but I wouldn't feel comfortable actually cashing it (and it would make loads of extra work) so is it really worth it? By the time I post it to my UK account (I live in France), it could easily be cancelled.

Hmm. Maybe I ought to ask for cash.
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Jenny, I ask for the security deposit with the final balance, 8 weeks before. I believe there is a difference with the law in the 2 countries regarding security deposits though? Is it supposed to be EU wide, I think so ? USA is different again? I know the French themselves are used to paying in cash when they arrive.
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Thanks, Fraise. I'll bear that in mind.

Most of my guests tend to be English, as they come via the HL website: I'll have to gently bring them round to French ways (like cleaning the house - just a bit! - before they go, but that's another moan / thread..!)
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

By the way, Fraise, your house looks absolutely stunning. I'm not surprised you take a security deposit - I would, too!
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

The subject of security (damage) deposits has come up in another thread, but I can't find it at the mo; learn your lesson from Frise rather than from bitter experience Jenny. That was really unlucky Frise, and the guests deserved to be charged for more than simply half the cost of a new table - but it gets embarrassing doesn't it, especially as the woman who booked was so charming, and not the person at fault. I bank each security deposit. The extra time taken to do so, and to return it after the guests have stayed, is well worth the protection it affords you. I state in my standard letters that the cheque will be banked, and, to save any possible ill feeling, that it doesn't earn me interest while it's there! In your case, you can accept a cheque in advance, or cash on arrival - but if they've forgotten and don't have sufficient on the day, be firm and ask for a cheque - and bank it asap!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Hi Gascony, Hi Fraise,

Thanks for your helpful comments. Coming from two seasoned posters, I reckon that's pretty good advice.

GG- I intend to get tough !! Before I'm unlucky :wink:
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Seasoned posters - I like it :lol: Always was a bit partial to pepper altho now I tend to go for those mills that have about 5 different spices in them,how about you Goat? Does pepper make the beard itch? :wink:
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

No, but it makes me sneeze something chronic. I can't do silent sneezes either. :oops:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Seasoned eh...goat with strawberry topping.....mmm :D

I always cash my security deposit. :D

I usually add it on the balance 8 weeks before
most people dont seem to mind ,some say can they send it a bit nearer which is fine
but they dont get the keys & Info until I receive it.
Used to ask for £50 this year its £100 only kept ot once which I mentioned on a previous posting.

Trouble is the worst damage Ive had is from a 'friend ' who stayed at a discount who turned into the 3 wise monkeys saw nothing did nothing...... when I asked her about it,,,,

Havent learnt though got another friend out there at the moment in one of the houses[daughters next door]...youve guessed it havent charged them it either!...hey.ho... :roll:
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Hello Ros, another 'seasoned' poster, I see :D

Hope you won't regret not taking the deposit for your friend, I have fingers crossed for you here !