How much to take from the Security Deposit?

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Sara

How much to take from the Security Deposit?

Post by Sara »

This is my first year renting our villa and this is the first week that I am in a dilemma about what to charge for the damage caused to property. We have had a few glasses broken before that I just overlook but this time there are various items either broken or damaged. I am also disappointed that our guests did not tell us about the damage before their departure.

So the damage is:

1. broken ceramic figure
2. broken ceramic plate in bedroom
3. missing part from bedside table
4. cup/glass stains all over the wooden coffee table
5. blue biro on cushion covers and on the dining table
6. three patches on the dining table where the white veneer has been removed completely exposing the wood (MDF) below. For me this is the most serious damage as a brand new table is now ruined.

What do I do? Would you charge for the table to be replaced? Do I accept the damage as part and parcel of letting the property and just deduct a nominal charge?

Any opinions would be gratefully received!!

Sara
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

Each of these things on their own I would overlook, but added together, coupled with the fact that the guests were not honest on their departure would make me take a tough line.
First and foremost, take photos of the damage so that you have evidence should there be a dispute in the future. Can you guarantee that it was these particular guests and not the ones before? If so, then I would charge for repairs (where it's possible) and replacements (where it's not).
Good Luck...
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

I agree completely -- definitely take photos and document everything!

It sounds like a lot of damage to me -- I hope the deposit will cover it all?
Brooke
A-two

Post by A-two »

I would split it into possible accidental damage and negligence as follows, then add up the negligence first and see what's left, if anything:

possible accidental damage:
1. broken ceramic figure
2. broken ceramic plate in bedroom
3. missing part from bedside table (this assumes a loose handle or similar problem with the table in the first place)

negligence:-
4. cup/glass stains all over the wooden coffee table (this assumes that you provide drinks coasters)
5. blue biro on cushion covers and on the dining table
6. three patches on the dining table where the white veneer has been removed completely exposing the wood (MDF) below.

When charging for items lost or damaged through negligence, we may add up to 20% to cover our overhead cost (gas/petrol etc.) to go and get the replacement item or take for repair, depending on the time and inconvenience involved. Items like the broken ceramics, although upsetting, become somewhat irrelevant if other items already exceed the total security deposit you're holding.

We don't normally charge for accidental damage, but in a situation like this one, we would do so, not only because we are entitled to it, but also because there's no good reason for us to take a loss for the benefit of people who are not going to be invited back ever again anyway.
Ju

Post by Ju »

I agree with what else has been said,but I would also like to add:

- Don't replace the broken china figure, it will just get broken again. If you want ornaments try and buy ones that are not breakable.

- Instead of replacing the table could you find a nice table cloth, preferably one which can be wiped clean.

Ju
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I agree with Ju on the tablecloth thing - you can get the wipe clean tablecloths in all supermarkets in France and they do seem to last a long time. If someone does put something hot on it then the tablecloth is a lot easier to replace than a table!
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

I was going to reply but everyone else has posted such sensible replies that there is no need. Good luck Sara- this is negligence, you should not suffer because of it,if you provide plentiful drinks coasters then there is no excuse for the rings. I also agree about the tablecloth, I always keep mine covered, if they uncover it and damage it, they would be expected to pay !

www.thepetitmanoir.com
Sara

Post by Sara »

Thank you verybody. I feel a lot better now and my husband is driving down there tomorrow to photograph the damage. Unfortunately we have the next lot of guests in so we don't want to disturb them for long. It's been a tough couple of weeks in the rental business. The new people say that two double beds keep collapsing - that's IKEA for you - and the umbrella by the pool is broken - 150 euros waste of money!!

It's a good job we charge so much to stay there as the damage so far this season is mounting up. Four weeks ago someone managed to wrench off the whole front door of the washing machine - how can you do that???!!

Thanks again

Sara
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Sara wrote:to wrench off the whole front door of the washing machine - how can you do that???!!
This happened THREE times to us (well actually just the handle was wrenched off) until we realized that some folks are just too impatient and cannot wait the 2 minutes after the cycle has finished before the machine releases the door catch. Had to put up signs to tell them to "W A I T". As said elsewhere, some folks leave their brains behind when going on holiday - surely this is not an unusual feature on such machines ?
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Sara, we have an IKEA bed in our apartment, it certainly wasn't an expensive frame, and the mattress is extremely comfortable, but it has never collapsed,although a couple of guest have obviously stood on the bed, as a couple of the slats had broken and we had to replace them .
Ju

Post by Ju »

I have a number of Ikea beds and hve never had any problems with them (touch wood) so I think you have been unlucky. I've never heard of the washing machine problem (touch wood again) what make of machine do you have?

I sympathise about the parasol, we change at least one a year, and I buy good quality wooden ones.

Ju
gh

Post by gh »

We our children were little they would open the door and stand on it to reach the bikky tin.

We have a top loader and somehow they have managed to break the outer lid and for the life of us we cannot get it back on. Guest's dont ya just love them.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Speaking of IKEA, I have a wooden parasol I bought at the end of one Summer, probably about 7 years ago. I paid £5 for it, and it is still going strong.