Travel Cots, High Chairs and other baby equipment

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
DivineMrsM

Travel Cots, High Chairs and other baby equipment

Post by DivineMrsM »

I read with interest the comment in the newsletter about baby equipment.

We have gone out of our way to provide as many travel cots and high chairs etc as needed. This stems from my own experience of being the only family in a group of 25 that needed a cot in a house near Cavaillon and having to bring my own cot on the plane. Not impressed.

In most instances, I would MUCH rather use equipment provided by the house than take my own. Surely anyone who is likely to need these items will not expect them to be brand new for every booking :? .

We also don't charge any extra for any of these items. As of next year (now that my youngest no longer needs them :wink: ) we will be providing a baby listener that works from the house to the pool (we have a socket there) and a microwave steriliser.

We toyed with providing our outgrown buggy, but does anyone think it would be useful? I'm not convinced. If you really need one, you will have brought it with you.

I should point out that we are a large property and encourage family group bookings :) .
Lynne
for Metropolitan Retreat in London https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/6712284
and
Le Cheval Blanc in France https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/6714302
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

I also provide a full size cot and a highchair, but if I have to buy new everytime someone stays I wouldn't bother I would just get rid of them.

At our Villa in Florida we also provide a cot & 2 buggys which I think come in handy. I think its a good idea..

In fact the buggys were left by friends who were staying :D

Stephen
paolo

Post by paolo »

I provide a travel cot and high chair and I have never been asked if the travel cot is new.

I think you should provide as much as you can afford to. Obviously the more bedrooms you have the more infants you are likely to have to cater for.

We've got two toddlers and we travel with one pushchair and one travel cot because that's all we can fit in the car. We haven't stayed anywhere that offers more than one cot - that would have been nice. And to have that extra pushchair would have been really nice too - so yes, if you've got one knocking about, it's definitely worth offering it.

My wife keeps threatening to write an article on making your rental property baby- and toddler-friendly, based on our experiences as renters. One day you may even read it in the newsletter.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
DivineMrsM

Post by DivineMrsM »

That's sealed it then - the buggy is winging its way to France on the next car journey. Thanks for that.

We have three travel cots available, one high chair and one booster seat cum high chair thingy. We take the view that if a large group with 6 babies wanted to rent the house, we would endeavour to provide the necessary additional cots and high chairs. It might mean that we make less money (depending on the time of year particularly) but it will still be money in the bank. The spares can be stored in the barn until next time. Also, with most of our groups being made up of two, three or more families, there is a greater opportunity for word of mouth recommendation. All the more reason to be super helpful :wink:

I would love to hear your wife and others' experiences as renters when it comes to staying in a family friendly property. Always useful to get more pointers. :)
Lynne
and
tansy

Post by tansy »

What about the sterilizing of the cots between babies? Do you not charge for that...new mums seem to have different requirements nowadays...I am seriously thinking of dumping all the cots - I do offer tham but say if they want them sterilized we will charge 100 Euros...in this day and age I do think you need to cover yourself...I have 2 cots & 2 highchairs available if needed - but most mum's seem to bringing their own now even if I offer.
DivineMrsM

Post by DivineMrsM »

Blimey - sterilising them?! They get a good and proper clean, but as a parent I would think more than that unnecessary.

Unless the baby is less than a couple of months old, then sterilising is actually unnecessary. Although I know that a lot of new parents will continue to sterilise everything for at least 6mths.

If they can reach it and put it in their mouths, then you no longer need to sterilise <grin>.

I'm am in the camp that believes that there is way too much sterilising going on for kids these days, and that's why there is such an increase in asthma and allergies. Children just don't get exposed to dirt anymore!

My Gran always used to say </adopt broad Devonshire accent> "You gotta eat a bit o'dirt afore y'die". Interpret that as you may...!

Seriously though, I guess that cots etc are more of a deal for where we are located (Dordogne) as people aren't always travelling to us by car. For a family such as Paolo's with two toddlers, both potentially needing cots, high chairs, buggies etc, then you really don't want to be bothering with all that on the plane, let alone getting a car big enough to accommodate it all once you arrive (in one instance, we nearly had to upgrade our rental car to fit the travel cot in along with the luggage - it ended up on the parcel shelf.... :shock: ).

:)
Lynne
and
paolo

Post by paolo »

What about the sterilizing of the cots between babies?
Are we talking about the plastic foldaway travel cots or real ones with a proper mattress?

How do you sterilise anything of that size anyway?
Paolo
Lay My Hat
tansy

Post by tansy »

I don't know what to do anymore....I just say if you want a cot we have it but it's not been sterilized...one mum with 7 is coming to stay soon - children from 15 - almost 2 years of age..she's not at all flustered, so I go by her quite frankly! Very level headed and the kids are beautifully mannered and healthy!

I think it is difficult to do the right thing now days...so many children aren't vacinated...(this could digress), most folk come to us by car but this year I am adding to our list of things a toilet trainer and a nappy changing station in each house - plus if required up to 2 cots and 2 highchairs.

Dog bowl for the dog.

Possibly 2 bikes as well - as long as we are not liable if they fall off and injure themselves!
Ju

Post by Ju »

We provide the full range of baby equipment, including proper cots. I personally hate travel cots. The materesses are too thin and my children never managed to sleep well in one. At the end of the day a holiday could be ruined by a child not sleeping properly.

It would be impossible to sterilise a cot. We have had very few guests with very young babies (say under 4 months) which would be the time of concern. Most people using the cots have children of between 6 months and 2 Years, some 3 year olds are still in cots and most people don't want to use their holiday time as the time wehn they switch to a bed.

Real cots don't cost that much, and don't really take up much space.
HolidayWebs

Post by HolidayWebs »

We offer a standard travel cot & high chair for those who ask. I have NEVER been asked about sterilising it & wouldn't have a clue how to go about that. We have once been asked for a 'proper' cot which we hired but most people are just glad that we have a travel cot & high chair in the apartment.
Visit http://www.puertopollensa.com ... you'll love it!
The most beautiful resort in Mallorca.