Discounts for repeat customers

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
964kevin

Post by 964kevin »

We do, but our discretion, depending on feedback, whether there's been any damage etc...

Kevin
http://www.encantada-vacation.com

Our little piece of Florida, never get tired of being there. Love it and the people to bits.
GRL

Post by GRL »

marsh frog wrote:We don't offer discounts and still get a lot of repeat bookings. What we do do though is leave a bit more in the welcome basket which goes down well :)
That's what we do and I generally waive the security deposit
Cas & Irene

Post by Cas & Irene »

We don`t give a % discount. Sometimes we offer them the rate from last year or, when possible a late check-out for free.

But most of the times we offer some homemade tapas and a glass of Cava or when it´s a Self Catering booking, a bottle of Cava.

-
Sail with the wind from today and count your blessings!
http://www.Bed-and-Breakfast-Barcelona.com
St. Katharine B&B-Hotel Boat in Barcelona!
Follow us on Twitter : @Yacht_Barcelona

Like us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/BedandBreakfastBoatBarcelona
Marks

Post by Marks »

I don't offer repeat guests a discount. If they ask for a discount I offer a free welcome pack. Costs me no more than 15 Euros and they think they are getting something useful.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.

Post by Guest »

:?:
Last edited by Guest on Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

No discount from us, but I would do it at the same price if we had put them up.
Like Nemo I figured early on that we couldn't take a hit at the prices we charge. 5% seemed mean but 10% was a big chunk.
We give all returning guests a bottle of champagne...but they don't know that until they arrive.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

In the past we didn't do discounts for returning guests because we were getting plenty of bookings from new guests each year. However, we're now looking at how to move away from being so dependent on the big listing sites. Encouraging repeat bookings seems to be a logical part of that so we've started offering 10% to guests who leave positive feedback on our own feedback form.

Since we started we've had a noticeable rise in repeats and we've increased our rate card slightly so we shouldn't be out of pocket overall. Repeats are still in the minority though so I don't think they'll have a dramatic effect on our turnover.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
impasse

Post by impasse »

7 Aspire wrote:10% off current nightly rental rates, (nothing off our per-stay service charge), and no security deposit taken.
Keep the price the same for everone year after year. Always get repeat bookings. keep it simple!! :lol:
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

10% or the previous years price. The repeats tend to recommend you to other people so to me they increase business overall.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

I find, like others above, that I can actually pocket that "difference" as repeat guests are less likely to haggle, are typically less problem to book with and you know that they know what they are getting, so less likelihood of hassles on site.

Also as the trend towards commission based advertising grows, so the value of repeats becomes tangible.

So if you have to "buy" them, there is a price, but its not very large in monetary terms.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
teba18

Post by teba18 »

Don't have a strict rule but offer most repeats about 10% off, mainly because they're usually really nice people we'd like to have back.
I'm more surprised that it seems so many people are able to put their prices up every year (there are numerous mentions here of 'last year's prices') In the Algarve market where we are, to stay competitive I honestly can't remember when we last increased ours despite rapidly increasing bills and whenever I check, it seems no-one else is increasing theirs either. We must definitely be in the wrong place!
Yorkshire Lass

Post by Yorkshire Lass »

I'm considering offering a discount to repeat guests of between 5% and 10% or alternatively at this year's prices but was wondering if other owners who already do this stipulate that the repeat booking must be made within a certain time of the end of the initial booking or before the end of the year in which the first booking takes place. I was thinking about perhaps offering the discount on future bookings made within 1 or 2 months of the end of the first stay. Also - as all my school Summer holidays and Christmas/New Year weeks fill well in advance anyway would it seem mean to exclude these?
We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars

www.kingshousescarborough.com
www.facebook.com/scarboroughholidaycottage
www.sandsendpavilion.co.uk
Essar

Post by Essar »

I am averaging 9 repeats per annum; I agree that they also generate additional bookings through referrals - last year 2. As mentioned there are no commissions to pay and you know what you're getting.

I try to encourage them so I offer a number of sweetners:

1. £10 per night discount; regardless of length of stay, time of year or how far in the future (can't be taken with other offers).
2. Only a £100 deposit to re-book; usually 25% (same as security deposit on first booking).
3. Book within 28-days of departure and get next years dates at this years rates.
4. No security deposit (yes, I know it's discrimination but I've never come across an "ism" to cover it).
5. £10 per night discount on future bookings for "introduce a friend" affilliation. Old guest can share this with the new guest if they are so inclined. Number of nights earned is based on new guests length of stay.
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
elena

Post by elena »

It's an awkward one!

We don't offer discounts to our repeat customers but several years ago I did start giving free towels/pool towels/cleaning which we normally charge for.

We now have a a high percentage of repeat guests and it does make a dent in the income but so many have come back for a few consecutive years that I can't not do it now...we are on site too and that makes it easier to give extra things in kind once they are here.

Elena
Dordogne holiday cottages
Tales from our Dordogne gites
keep in touch with Les Crouquets on Facebook
follow us on pinterest
NEW!! Dordogne Holiday Villa with private pool
man who stand on side of mountain with mouth open waiting for roast duck to fly in have long wait....
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

teba18 wrote: I'm more surprised that it seems so many people are able to put their prices up every year (there are numerous mentions here of 'last year's prices') In the Algarve market where we are, to stay competitive I honestly can't remember when we last increased ours despite rapidly increasing bills and whenever I check, it seems no-one else is increasing theirs either. We must definitely be in the wrong place!
Only my peak rates went up and only about 10% over 6 years. Some of my off season prices have actually gone down. I think it was more of an adjustment to the market and I set them incorrectly in the first place.