Going International

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Hanorah

Going International

Post by Hanorah »

Since I have been renting my guests have been exclusively from the UK. However in the last week I have had two American parties book and have Italian guests there at the moment. I am a vertiable international guest virgin and want to know what should I expect? The uk lot have been charm personified so far so I am hoping for more of the same but in your experience are there any differences?
Always Learning
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Hanora, I can only compare Uk and French guests. The French guests were brilliant, although one lot were a bit frosty afterwards, and are the only guests to not give me any feedback at all. They were also the only ones that caused me payment problems by changing their minds about 3 times. One reason I decided to ask only for Paypal. The UK guests were all great too, apart from the family of 5 (3 teenagers). I did say that I thought they would be a bit squashed, but he said it would be fine as they were used to it. They also left the place in a bit of a mess, but did have an early flight. So about 50/50 I would say, although the remaining French guests, and a party of middle-aged British men, left the place so clean, that Mel only had to polish the mirrors.
A-two

Post by A-two »

Hanorah,
There's absolutely no difference in my experience, don't worry about it. You may hear some new phrases and vocabulary in conversation, and they may not understand all the words you are using, but if you need a translation, just ask here.
Marion

Post by Marion »

No difference. There are charming people and not so charming from everywhere, but on the whole I have had no problems and have had Russian, Norwegian, Finnish, Dutch, German, American etc.
The only think I find is that Americans usually ask a lot more questions than the English, mainly because they need reassurance about renting from a private individual.
No need to go far to shop 'til you drop - just go next door to Chanel. http://rueparadis.monsite.wanadoo.fr/
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

In the first year of rental our guests were only from the UK, but the last 2 years we have had guests from Finland, Denmark, Sweden, Holland, North America and Brunei! They have all been charming guests, very friendly and no different from UK guests.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

If I were to generalize about the difference between guests from the UK, US, and Italy, I'd say:

UK: I really can't think of any bad guests we've had from the UK. Even when our business parter (now former business partner) removed half the furniture from the house, and the beds that were remaining broke, the guests from the UK were lovely about it. I get the sense that many UK vacationers don't complain even if they have a bad time, as though it's rude for them to do it.

US: I would wager that the average American guests expects more amenities than a European guest. Things like a dishwasher, DVD player, and air conditioning are standard practice for most Americans, at least those that can afford to get away for a week at a vacation rental. It's not that they won't tolerate not having them, but the reaction to not having them may be different. Marion is right that the idea of renting from an individual is scarier for Americans. It's also reassuring for them to know that towels, sheets, etc., are provided if the rental is on another continent.

Italy: I've never rented to Italian guests, but when we stayed at a vacation rental in Italy, things like toilet paper and dishwashing liquid were not provided, while sheets and towels were (but we had to make the bed, and the towels were teeny). So perhaps expectations may be different here, too?

Just my initial thoughts, and they are of course gross generalizations!
Brooke