Late Minute Booking

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
nichthewood

Late Minute Booking

Post by nichthewood »

We Have just had a cancellation for 10 days in August. Bang on the 6 weeks when they would have paid. Although we have a deposit we still need to re-let at least a week of the 10 days. Can anyone give us any advice on the best way to go about it.
Cheers
nich the wood
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Where do you normally advertise? If it is with a site like Holiday-rentals.com, where availability is a factor, as long as you show the week as available, you will probably let it immediately (I am still getting loads of enquiries for August from listing sites which don't show availability).
Alternatively, have you thought about taking out an ad in the Saturday Telegraph? I did this a few years ago for a cancelled week in the school holidays and had let it by 9am and had lots more enquiries after. Cost about £75 and very nice guests too.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Bad luck, do you have your place on any listing sites. Do they offer 'late deals'?
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Just a comment on Helen's suggestion - personally I've always found the late deals/special offers a complete waste of time on rental listing sites - maybe others have had some luck with this, but me, never!
nichthewood

Post by nichthewood »

Hi
We Have our own web site, and also use French connections (with not a single booking in 8 mouths) we never come close when you do a search. We have asked them why, but they say that search engines are out of there control. We also have signed up with Holiday-rentals.com, the birds of britain web site (and always come up quite high, when you do a search for the Brenne) and a cycling site. We have changed the availability on all our adds on Saturday when we first heard about the cancellation. It is also on e-bay.
thanks
gh

Post by gh »

Hi nich,

Your place looks very inviting and not so far from us. We advertise no availability and this week have received a number of enquiries so they market is their. Late bookings have worked for us in the past. Try holidaylettings, where we get many bookings from.

Good luck, keep us posted please.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Sue, I've had a booking from Holiday Lettings through the late deal page. I've also had one from my ebay ad, and a one that 'fell through' from travel library.. Her hubby didn't want to go there.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

HelenB - I'm glad the late deal worked for you and it isn't a waste of time! I'be never tried the holidayletting site - in fact I've just signed up with them and am going to ditch a couple of non performers (one of who is FC - it doesn't work for me either Nich!) so I hope I get as many bookings as you and Johnel. There are a few posters on LMH who have places near you with pools - maybe they could refer on any booking enquiries they have for August? I think I am too far away to be of any help in this, but I do it on a reciprocal basis for a couple of other gite owners in Brittany with similar properties.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

My sister suggested them, and I chose the quarterly payment option so i can judge over the three months how it's going. If it comes up trumps for the winter i'll be really pleased. I suspended Homelidays, but have started it again, as I got quite a few winter bookings from there last year, and the first enquiry was in July. I had to put them off until October when I had a more definite idea of the completion date.
gh

Post by gh »

I have passed on enquiries already on here and elsewhere, and would like to think that other would do similar. It makes perfect sense to help each other, in the end it all evens out.

Perhaps Paolo would start a new section for this as we; like many of you have already said, have enquiries for periods already showing as booked.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Good idea!!!
cromercrabholiday

Post by cromercrabholiday »

We've had two cancellations this year, which is a first - is this a sign of economic change? Maybe with the first increase in interest rates, people are finding themselves overextended or are fearing the next. We've definitely decided to go for the eight weeks before arrival from now on.

Depending on your starting price, we've found it easy to sell through e-Bay in high season, although the prices tend to be quite low - I don't know whether it is the same if you have to find a ferry or plane to get there, which could be difficult and/or expensive.

John
Ciapolin

Post by Ciapolin »

I still have plenty of availability in August. The bookings I've got have come from my website rather than listing sites which is disappointing (I use Owners Direct & ItalyMag at the moment). I've been thinking about trying Slowtrav and Homelidays, but I'm not too sure whether it will just be throwing good money after bad.

I had assumed I had missed most of the bookings this year, having only really got started in May, but maybe there is still business to be had.
Carole-Anne
Cascina Ciapolin
www.piedmont-holidays.com
Vally

Post by Vally »

Sorry, I maybe off topic slightly , but there is a lot of mention of advertising on ebay can someone point me in that direction , I know nothing about this..is it cost effective?
nichthewood

Post by nichthewood »

Hi Vally
As far as i am aware, it is quite within the e-bay rules to sell your unsold weeks.
As long as you do not try and sell to leads from e-bay privately.
If you have never used e-bay before, you need first to register and then follow there steps. Its quite easy, but you will find that most, if not all users, rely on your "feedback" to see whether you are trustworthy. Thats how it works. The better you "feedback" the more people are prepared to use you. You might have to buy or sell some small items first to build up you feedback score.
hope this helps a bit.

If the insertion cost of about £3, and only if you sell fee about £17. I think it is very cost effective.

nich