Legalising the provision of alcohol

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
greenbarn

Legalising the provision of alcohol

Post by greenbarn »

Just in case anyone in the UK isn't yet a member of EASCO and therefore hasn't received their latest newsletter, they're advising of a Government consultation into legalising the small-scale supplying of alcohol; one of the areas for consideration is self-catering.

As it stands at the moment you need a licence to supply alcohol to guests; even if it's part of a welcome pack, a bottle of wine is not a free gift - it's only supplied to paying guests. The existing law is widely ignored, but if it's replaced and the new law specifically affects self catering it's possible that it may be enforced (how? Who knows?)

The consultation document and survey - which enables you to give your support to the inclusion of self catering - is here.

To quote from EASCO's newsletter:
EASCO has been participating in the long-running series of Home office consultations on how to introduce a simple light-touch method of allowing small-scale sales of alcohol by B&Bs and other small accommodation providers. We have been involved in working groups at the Home Office and will be sending a formal response to the current consultation. However it is essential that as many members as possible also complete a simple online questionnaire that the Home Office have made available as part of this consultation process. One of the questions asks whether self-catering holiday homes should be included, or not.

Whilst the government will make up its own mind, numbers do count, and we need to ensure that the number of responses favouring inclusion of self- catering in the CAN system is overwhelming, and that there is a majority of respondents who favour a reasonable level of supply i.e. more than one small glass of wine per guest.

The first question is whether the system should be limited to accommodation providers with just a few bed-spaces. Suggested limits are 5, 10, 15, or 20 spaces. If this were limited to 5 spaces anyone with a six bed holiday home would need a full premises licence like a pub.

The next issue is how much alcohol should be allowed to be supplied. EASCO would like to see at least one bottle of wine between two people being allowed but conservative respondents may seek to limit it to an impracticably low level.

The third question asks if self-catering should be included. You know the answer to that.
barbersdrove

Post by barbersdrove »

Survey done. Need to be quick it closes on Dec 9th.

I am tea total but have gone for the largest amount each time as I know most people love their alcohol :D

Interestingly, we used to supply a bottle of wine but stopped 3 yrs ago because of the licensing issue. It's not made any difference to bookings, no regulars have commented on the lack of it. Makes me think I was just wasting my money back then.
A cream cake a day keeps the wrinkles at bay:)
Orsonthecat

Post by Orsonthecat »

I've replied...fwiw!
So much to learn....so little time!