Bank accounts?

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
Paul Carmel

Bank accounts?

Post by Paul Carmel »

Hi,

For those of you who have Spanish bank accounts, which ones do you rate or hate?
Cheers
PC
Marks

Post by Marks »

Been with Bankinter for 15 years, never had a single problem with them.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

We are with BBVA and again in 19 yrs no problem (and gave us a huge mortgage on a wing and a prayer).

But...in Spain personal recommendations from local people do help. No mattr how good their image is, it all about what happens at a local level.
Call in, talk to them, see how you feel about the staff and Manager.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
donnylu

Post by donnylu »

Hi Mouse, Are you saying that banks offer different rates, fees etc depending on your location?

I am with La Caixa and hate myself for it. I should make the change. They know how to charge for every little thing.
Marks

Post by Marks »

Mouse wrote: But...in Spain personal recommendations from local people do help. No mattr how good their image is, it all about what happens at a local level.
Call in, talk to them, see how you feel about the staff and Manager.

Mouse
x
+1

Our 'personal banker' is excellent, very approachable and helpful on the few occasions we have needed her. She even answers emails which is rare for Spain :wink:

I have a small investment with the Deutsche Bank - bunch of thieves as they didn't mention any of the costs/charges involved so they happily take 25€ per quarter 'management' fee for doping nothing and constantly bombard me with offers for this and that.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
Vera

Post by Vera »

We have a Sabadell expansion account, it's been excellent.

We have to pay in 750€ a month but for that you get free banking, no charge for cards and 3% cash back on all direct debits.

Most of the staff in our branch speak English as well.
brendan

Post by brendan »

Avoid Santander....useless shower!

Avoid Banca March...useless shower!

I use La Caixa...also a useless shower but have ' trained' them so that I now get a satisfactory service.

I also use Deutsche bank and while I agree re their ridiculous charges I find them excellent in all regards. Just be careful which type of account you open with them.
lorca

Post by lorca »

We also use Sabadell - no problems
If not now, when?
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Thanks for all this folks, I had a run in with La Caixa in the past, so they were off the list from the off.
Cheers
PC
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

I'm with Cajamar and they're "ok". The online banking is good, which is the most important thing for me. I can also email them and actually get a reply.

I also have a mortgage with Deutsch Bank in Spain. Not too impressed. The online banking only works with Internet Explorer and they keep sending stupid bits of paper for every transaction, even when I asked them not to.
Helen Weir

Post by Helen Weir »

I now use the Sabadell expansion account for my rentals. I don't put in a regular amount each month (which they say is a criteria for free banking), just the transactions for rentals, so it's variable, but have been assured that we will not be charged for the service - and so far in 9 months, we haven't. Staff super helpful, online banking easy, lots of branches in my area and the multilingual phone/internet service is very good.
Mustbemad

Banks

Post by Mustbemad »

I have an account with Deutsche Bank, I have to pay in €600 a month and use my debit card twice a month, (if in UK I buy a cheap kindle book or other item from Amazon or eBay) plus have a couple of direct debits going out. No bank charges for these conditions and I've found them at my local branch to be very helpful over the two years I've banked with them. Previously with Banca March - a proper incompetent shower.
Sun Lover

Post by Sun Lover »

We have been with Cajamar (Rural Caja) for past 3 years, previous experiences with BBVA and Banco Popular led us to change each time.

With the first two banks everything was great all the time we knew the manager, when he went there were problems.

I find the Cajamar online banking easy to use as well.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

I too am with Cajamar. I do find their charges painful as I'm used to UK free banking, but then I am not resident in Spain and have no regular sum of money being paid in so that might explain it. If I become resident I can get a different type of account because of a salary being paid in monthly and I guess my fees will drop. I do find the fact that they have an English language online banking facility a godsend because not all Spanish banks do (not that there is any reason why they should - I don't think any UK banks offer their online banking in Spanish!)
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Has anyone had any experience of an Evo account? It seems mostly online which is quite attractive. It comes under the Galician NCG Banco group. Or Banco Mediolanum who seem to be Italian owned (filled with dread) but have a working front of house with BBVA?
Cheers
PC