Bank accounts?

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
pambon

Post by pambon »

Yes Mediolanum is an Italian online bank. They publicise it a lot on TV but I do not know anyone who
actually uses it so can't give an opinion on it.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

I contacted Evo when I was looking at opening a Spanish bank account but they couldn't assist me. I think it was because I was not resident at that time and they do not offer non-resident accounts.
brendan

Post by brendan »

I´ve just written to my bank manager (La Caixa) to tell him that I´ll be closing my 2 accounts due to their ridiculous charges.

I´ve been looking at the BBVA online account which seems to be charge free. Has anyone any experience of this particular account?
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

We've been with BBVA for over 20 yrs and use their online account. We've never paid any charges.

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
brendan

Post by brendan »

I think (!) I´ve opened an online account with BBVA. Now there´s the trauma of changing all the standing order payments over. Never easy!
CSE

Post by CSE »

When using machines in Spain watch out for charges. If you are not a customer of the bank which runs the machine, then these can prove to be expensive.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
brendan

Post by brendan »

I read an article about this the other day - shocking bank practices - did I say ´shocking´? Sorry, nothing shocks me when it comes to banks in general and Spanish banks in particular.

I checked before opening the account and there are 2 BBVA ATMs in our town so that shouldn´t be an issue (fingers Xd).

Thanks for the warning!
pambon

Post by pambon »

casasantoestevo wrote:When using machines in Spain watch out for charges. If you are not a customer of the bank which runs the machine, then these can prove to be expensive.
Same applies to ATM's here in Italy.....
Gordo

Post by Gordo »

brendan wrote:I think (!) I´ve opened an online account with BBVA. Now there´s the trauma of changing all the standing order payments over. Never easy!
I assume you need to do this face to face so can show ID etc, or is it possible to just do it online? Any charges?

Mouse wrote:We've been with BBVA for over 20 yrs and use their online account. We've never paid any charges
Am I right in thinking you're either resident and/or pay regular income in Mouse? I've yet to come across any free spanish banking for non-residents except some with regular monthly credits going in... but I'm alway hoping! :shock:

Happiness is a journey not a destination,
So work like you don’t need the money,
Love like you’ve never been hurt,
and Dance like no one’s watching…
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Yes we are resident Gordo and we have a salary paid in.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Deutsche Bank Spain only ask to see your Passport to open an account, I think if you don't pay in on a regular basis you get charged 12 Euro every 3 months.
Cheers
PC
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Now that I am resident should I be changing from Cajamar? I will not use Sabadell - :evil: - but other suggestions are welcome. I have not been in to see Cajamar yet to advise of my residence as officially this only commenced on 1 January. I will be having regular monthly income paid into the account.
lorca

Post by lorca »

[quote="Casscat"I will not use Sabadell - :evil: .[/quote]

Why?
If not now, when?
CSE

Post by CSE »

closing down a bank account cost €´s
You have to inform your bank that you are living and registered in Spain to reduce your fees. No matter if you change banks or not.
Don not forget all of your paperwork, with copies no matter what you do.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

lorca wrote:[quote="Casscat"I will not use Sabadell - :evil: .
Why?[/quote]

They pretty much accused me of being a money launderer and made me close my account. They closed it on the spot and paid my balance back to me in cash in an envelope. I was gobsmacked. I am a financial services professional and am fully aware of international anti-money laundering regulations. Their behaviour was appalling.