Surprise amount of guests

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
annafern

Surprise amount of guests

Post by annafern »

Just had a message with a whole load of questions from guests staying at one of our cottages over Christmas about the kitchen.

Quite normal questions about kitchen equipment but informs she is cooking for 7 and this cottage sleeps only 4!

I am sure they are not all staying, but what concerns me is 7 people eating and drinking in a cottage a small cottage.

Not sure what to say but I am not happy about the situation :cry:
www.bluelagoon.co.uk www.uniqueholidaycottages.co.uk
I own two websites - Blue Lagoon which I use to market my own holiday cottages. I also own Unique Holiday Cottages - a directory of luxury holiday lets in England and Wales.
SandyBeaches

Post by SandyBeaches »

Not sure what you can do about this. I think I would ignore it unless you think they might all be sleeping there. Maybe ask her to confirm that only four people can stay and use the old insurance/fire risk reason.

I would simply say that the kitchen has enough equipment for four people as that's the maximum capacity of the cottage and leave her to figure out the rest.

We have similar situations with our cottages because one of them is big and people tend to entertain there. But most of the time I'm probably unaware of it and it hasn't caused any problems yet.
barbersdrove

Post by barbersdrove »

We get that all the time here and to be honest for a lot of our repeat guests it's a reason they book as they can have their family over for meals. We are on site and I have loaned big roasting trays and food mixer etc. If you are not happy though, I would do as suggested and say it's only equipped for 4.
A cream cake a day keeps the wrinkles at bay:)
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

I'd agree that you should point out the cottage sleeps four and the kitchen is (well)-equipped to cater for four people. If she has any doubts about needing extra/more/special stuff she should consider bringing it with her - if you aren't on site, and/or happy, to lend things.

I would also emphasise that seven people cannot be accommodated overnight. The insurance/fire risk reason is a good stand-by but I usually also mention septic tank capacity and hot water. That pre-empts any 'complaint' about not enough hot water ...............
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

I agree with what others have said that unfortunately there is not much you can do at this stage other than to point out sleeping capacity and lack of facilities for 7.

Too many guests does cause potential for more damage and drain on services. It won't help for this booking but my T&C's don't just state the maximum sleeping capacity, they also state the maximum amount of people allowed in the cottage at any time. This has to make sense from a fire risk perspective.

I added this clause having once had a long term booking from local people who regularly held some sort of meeting in the cottage every week with the same large group of women turning up laden with bags.
GRL

Post by GRL »

We have these clauses in our T&Cs:

Ensuring only the number of people for whom the booking is made, stay in the gite.
Informing us if you have any friends/visitors coming to the gite. You are responsible for your friends/visitors at all times when at the gite or in the grounds.
Ensuring that any friends/visitors at the gite comply fully with these terms and conditions.

We had a family who were already at full capacity wanting their sister to come along and camp locally and we were concerned she'd be in the gite for all meals etc and using the shower hence the last clause:

Your friends/visitors are not permitted to use the gite facilities/grounds in any form whatsoever.