HomeAway 2-Factor Authentication prevents Calendar Sync

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
nstead

HomeAway 2-Factor Authentication prevents Calendar Sync

Post by nstead »

Homeaway.co.uk have just brought in 2-factor authentication for their owners.

What this means is that when you log into the website, they now send a text message containing a code to your nominated mobile phone. You then have to enter this code into the website to complete the booking process.

That all sounds fine and dandy, but unfortunately it means that many (if not all) of the Property Management systems (such as PIMS, MyVRZone, Lodgix.com, Vacationrentalsoftware.org, Bookingsync.com, Trekadoo.com, and more) that offer Automatic Calendar Synchronisation with HomeAway.co.uk will no longer work, because they are unable to receive the code required.

The HA forum has many users reporting Text Messages that don't arrive (oh, and another "security" feature - you can't request a new code for 30 minutes, so if you don't get the first text, it'll be 30 minutes before you can log in)

HomeAway have told me that they don't, and won't, offer any API for software developers which would allow calendar synchronisation, and admitted that they "refuse to talk" to third party software developers.

The 2-factor authentication process is not optional, and HA will not offer any alternatives such as IP address authentication, Certifcate-based authentication, etc.

In short, if you use a 3rd Party Property Management System, you will no longer be able to synchronise your HomeAway.co.uk calendar.

Doubtless the other HA brands (OD, FlipKey, etc.) will follow suit soon.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

flipkey is not HA
nstead

Post by nstead »

No, you're right - my mistake.
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

Not fine and dandy for me at all. The SMS to my landline never came through. I am currently trying to get in on my ipad and although I was earlier in the day on my computer and managed to get a signal on my mobile (a minor miracle in these parts!), absolutely nothing works on my mobile now so I can't get a call or a text and the landline thing doesn't work either. Pretty fed up with this new arrangement, to be honest and why do I have to log in twice today from the same location?
Essar

Post by Essar »

You only have to follow this authentication route once every 12-months or if you change device to log in.
It makes no difference to third-party software.
Of course, if you can't get a mobile signal to receive the sms verification text then that could be a big hitch!
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"