Becoming Dog-friendly!

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
robby0_16

Becoming Dog-friendly!

Post by robby0_16 »

I am considering allowing people to bring there pets to my villa.

I am hoping this will increase bookings.

Does anyone out there have any advice or experience of doing this?

Does it increase bookings?

Is it worth the hassle?
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

We have allowed small dogs before and it went very well, but for us that is the exception rather than the rule.

I think there are already some posts on the forum about this, e.g. viewtopic.php?t=89 -- from what I recall, there is a wide variety of opinions on the topic!
Brooke
cromercrabholiday

Post by cromercrabholiday »

We regularly have requests for small well-behaved dogs to stay but have a strict no pets rule. I always wonder where the large badly-behaved dogs go on holiday!

John
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

I'd be up the swannee if I didn't allow dogs! Some guests consider their holiday in my cottage as their dogs holiday. My last guests (who have already booked for next year) have hinted I should provide poop scoops and bags as they found some dog poop in the garden that we missed. Anyone else do this? I kind assumed it was the dog owners responsibility.

Anyway, to sum up - a big yes to dogs from me. MUCH less trouble than bookings with kids!!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Where are you located?
If you are in the country in the UK like Sue, I'm sure it would increase your bookings are you are attracting walkers and outdoor types.
We accept pets and have had a few bookings from UK guests who have brought their dog/cat out, but I we get a lot of French guests who bring their dog/cat/mouse along with them, so in that respect it has helped out bookings.
All our floors are tiled downstairs so there is no cleaning problem.
However, you may risk losing potential bookings if you advertise you accept pets from families who suffer from cat/dog allergies or people who automatically think that a place will be dirty if animals are allowed.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I allow dogs, simply because taking our own on holiday gives her (and us), so much pleasure. No-one except us has taken our dog there yet though. I have had an enquiry from a guy who wants to take his 2 huskies though.
Vally

Post by Vally »

I do not allow dogs after a bad experience in the hotel many years back . I always think if you are booked week in and week out and there was a problem caused by a dog how would you remedy it in turnaround time.. I have been asked but I always refuse and I haven't lost bookings over it , when we had dogs( defo not anti just "dog free" at present) we did not take them away after one of ours behaved in a way she would never have done at home.
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

I've only once had problems getting dog hairs off the furniture, carpet etc, think it was those west highland white dogs. Now we have wooden floors and tiles so the flooring isn't a problem. I find most dog owners are so happy to have somewhere that accepts their pets that they leave the place perfect. I think all of my return guests have dogs.
Hanorah

Post by Hanorah »

Would be surprised if it was a Westie as they don't normally shed. You may remember we adopted one wee Mitzie about a year ago. I suppose the one who stayed might have had a skin problem but although they have lots of hair they are very popular because they are low allergen and don't molt. I agree on one thing, my kids make far more mess than little Mitzie.
Always Learning
Uber-Rob

Post by Uber-Rob »

HelenB wrote:I have had an enquiry from a guy who wants to take his 2 huskies though.
I used to have huskies. Fantastic dogs.

However they do shed hair like nobody's business in the summer. It gets everywhere and comes out in big tufts... You'll need a good Dyson/Dyson clone to get the hair out of any carpets they've been near after they've left.

Just a friendly warning :)
Holiday Lettings Tech Bod
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Uber-Rob, it will be Winter, and we don't have any carpets,all tiles and larch. We mainly let to skiers. As our dog is very hairy too, I'm not convinced about the Dyson being the best, my parents took theirs back and got a MIele cat and dog.
Marlowe

Is being dog friendly worth it

Post by Marlowe »

Hi
we are very dog friendly at our holiday rental on the Great Ocean Road in Australia. It was a deliberate decision to be different from most of our competitors and it has really worked for us with many bookings, at least 40% with dogs!

We provide dog bowls, a kennel and dog sheets for the sofas. Luckily we have wooden floors that are very easy to clean. In four years the only problem we had was one dog chewed a rug and the owners were very apologetic and immediately insisted they pay for a new one.

We get fabulous responses and many thanks in our guest book and we know our guests are sooo happy being able to bring their dogs. We have our own two little Australian terriers and love travelling with them so we know how people feel. :)

Check out some of our guest (and dog!) comments at www.treetopswyeriver.com.au

Regards, Marlowe
"The Great Ocean Road in Australia is one of the world's most spectacular coastlines" From the NY Times bestseller "1001 places to visit before you die".
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Hi all,

Now, I'm wondering whether it is prudent to admit to this in public, but I would never book anywhere that allowed pets...

...because I am worried about the allergy issue (I have asthma)

...and yes, because I would worry about the dirt

I guess it's just what you're comfortable with on both sides, owner's and renter's
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Each to their own, I wouldn't book anywhere that didn't as we now take our dog on holiday with us, thanks to pet passports. It does mean we have had to change a favourite stopover though. However, it has NEVER meant that anywhere we stayed was dirty or smelly.
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Hi Helen,

Just me being paranoid, obviously :wink: - I like horses, though!

Your chalet looks gorgeous, obviously not a dog hair in sight - do you allow pets there? (I only had a quick look so maybe you say so somewhere).