Becoming Dog-friendly!

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

Did you see that guy on Dragons' Den recently? He was laughed off the set with his odour-absorbing dog mat, but I thought he was on to something.

Hi Mountain, yes, I thought it was great too. I love that programme but sometimes they can be ridiculously patronising. I looked at the website once and one quote stays with me, persecuting me. It was the obnoxious Bannatyne, he said something like 'it's so easy to make a million, it's boring'. With house prices in London the way they are I have tried racking my brains of ways to help the kids but I must be very silly because I can't think of an easy way to make a million :oops:

Ros, I was panicking about how to explain the dogs go**ds :)
labotamy possibly ? (have not looked it up).....I know, maybe you were tinkerbell in your childhood and you really did bathe in a slipper.....or your Dad had very large feet :P
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Mountain and Partridge :D

Did you see the one last night about a poop scooper thought that was quite good as well.......

No sorry
Partridge Not right Im afraid but my Dad did have big feet[he was a Policeman]........

Our Baileys drinking mouse seems to have gone awol again and maybe they spell Labotomy different in Aussie land.....[I didnt look it up either,maybe that would be an idea.....]...nah too simple..... :wink: :roll: :lol:
Rexer

Post by Rexer »

OK,
(Medical history lesson - I'm also a doctor read no further if this bores you)

In the 'old days' - first described in 1890 - they used to treat some psychiatric disorders by cutting the connections in the brain between the frontal lobes (the site of personality, drive etc) and the rest of the brain. It was used to treat schizophrenia and depression.

It's a form of very primitive neurosurgery.

Anyway, because it's cutting the frontal LOBE

It's a lobotomy.

Hope this helps Ros, and may you never need one.

R
squirrel

Post by squirrel »

Back to the slipper bath. We too had the tin bath in front of the fire. Mum in first, then older sister, then me, then Dad.

As a treat once a month it was off to the public baths in Woolwich whether we needed it or not!!!

I was of course quite young but remember the treat of the full size bath and HOT water. I seem to remember a sign above the door at the baths about a slipper bath, so my guess it was the public baths.

Ros - are you offering a prize?

Love Squirrel
Squirrel
Always expect the unexpected
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Rexer & Squirrel :D

You are both winners......................of my admiration......... :P

A Squirrel who knows about Slipper Baths[must be cleverer than the average partridge]
And a Dr who knows about Lobotomies[or is it Lobotomys] and Maps....everyones a winner specuially me knowing such individuals. :wink: :roll: :lol:

The Slipper Baths were in Gt Yarmouth .Of course it was 50 years ago and we didnt have a bathroom or hot water at home... I used to go with my Dad as a special treat. :D

there were several bathrooms with big Geysers[water heaters not blokes]
Id be in the big bath with him, not sure how but every now & then Dad would shout out 'more water in no whatever' and we'd have a top up.Steam everywhere..... :oops: Great :D

I really felt important, and loved being with my Dad
as I did all his life & he always made me feel important........
Not sure where my brothers were or if they went dirty or my Mum.
It probably wouldnt be allowed now..... :roll:

I must have been about 3-4yrs old I know because we moved to Gorleston when I was 4 .
The building that the Slipper Baths were in is still there, its just near the quay at Stonecutters way if anyones familiar with Gt Yarmouth....

Happy memories, :wink: thanks for letting me Ramble.... friends :lol:
squirrel

Post by squirrel »

I feel a bit of a fraud, knowing about the slipper bath is not down to being clever but being OLD. Looked in the mirror and saw a grey squirrel so have spent the evening with a box of L'Oreal medium golden brown ( not brave enough to be a red squirrel) - because I'm worth it!

Anyway now rejuvenated and not going to fall out of the tree just yet, and ready to deal with this week's guests. October 21st half-term coming up :shock:
Squirrel
Always expect the unexpected
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Squirrel :D

Are you saying Im old
I do the nice & easy myself [covers the grey]
We have people in as well on the 19th May[half term but the good News is its me....]
My niece & Family are next door this is the 3rd year weve done this & usually have a good time,,,,Im sure we will
Havent been out since July & looking fwd to it

Glad you knew about the slipper baths My age is the same as my dob at the moment???!!![wont happen again Ros]
Last edited by Big Sis.. on Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

We used to dream of slipper baths! (in best 4 Yorkshiremen style) :lol:

Mam used to sit us on the draining board with our feet in the sink and give us a wash down with water boiled in the kettle. Bath on a Sunday night, that involved putting the fire on to heat the water winter and summer!

Then we got an immerson heater and dad started acting like dad's do when they feel their money is being run down the drain. He used to tell us we'd go bald washing our hair everyday but it was really cos of the cost of heating the water.

re hair colour. I'm those "live" bright red/copper ones. and how did this get from dog friendly to baths/haircolour? :lol:
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

I'm feeling a bit deprived here ! Never had the pleasure of a slipper bath ,amazing how varied people's experiences are :lol:
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

I’ve never knowingly had a slipper bath.

What’s more to the point, my slippers have never had a slipper bath and I wouldn’t let them anyway – they might dry out hard and crunchy and that would be a disaster.

I like my slippers to be soft and fluffy.

Fluffy
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Mam used to get bathed in a 'tin bath' in front of the fire.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Soodyer, :D
and how did this get from dog friendly to baths/haircolour?
My fault I think .... :oops:
I just tend to go off ....sometimes[sometimes???] and this was one of them

It started doggish :D and then dogs doodahs were mentioned by a name I hadnt heard[still havent]. :shock: ........

I said Id only ever had a girl dog.

but I had boy brothers[so I should have heard the term...heard ALL the others :roll: ] and a Dad who I used to Slipper Bath with..........

Then Rexer :wink: gave us a quick medical and extracted 'a' and gave me an o transplant[didnt feel a thing] :wink:

Mountain bravely tried to get us back on track with a dogs door mat........and I mentioned a pooper scooper......still doggish.....

But then the Women swapped hair Dye secrets....... :wink: :D

Mine is Nice n Easy just wish my life was....... :wink: :lol:
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

how did this get from dog friendly to baths/haircolour?
Indeed! I came back to the thread expecting a lively debate on guide dogs and dog-friendly properties, which was true at first...

...and now I have nothing to contribute, having no clue what a slipper bath is, and not yet having to deal with hair dye.

:)
Brooke
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Brooke,

I have the same problem. Nowadays each thread seems quickly to dissolve into idle chit-chat. It's not my style and I find it difficult to follow.

PS: I'm not criticising; I'm commenting. After all, the Forum is what members want it to be.

Fluffy
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Back to dogs I think.............

I have just got a new bed for ours which will go to France and stay in the storeroom.