Becoming Dog-friendly!

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Alan Knighting wrote:
I have the same problem. Nowadays each thread seems quickly to dissolve into idle chit-chat. It's not my style and I find it difficult to follow.

PS: I'm not criticising; I'm commenting. After all, the Forum is what members want it to be.

Fluffy
Well written Alan. Personally, I share the same opinion - I'm finding more and more with the forum that the original thread is sidetracked very quickly- to me the forum isn't a chat room, I didn't join it for that purpose and although in the past I've had a lot of useful info from the members, it is getting lost in the off topic chat. Personally I haven't got time to wade through the increasing amount of (IMHO irrelevant chit chat) that is now appearing - there is a place for it, in the Café, not the other index topics.
enid

Post by enid »

I think there is a place for it - but I agree with Susan perhaps better to open a new thread in the Cafe. Sometimes I log on and I feel a little excluded as I haven't been in on the initial comments and the thread has become a bit of an 'in joke' area. I agree there is nothing wrong with this - I enjoy it - but it would be helpful to me to stay a little more on topic.

Does that make me sound like a grumpy old woman? - I hope not :D
debk

Post by debk »

Not grumpy, just busy, Enid!

I, too, have been trying to keep up with certain topics of interest only to find, well, they are no longer of interest.

I do think we should stay on topic whenever possible, and use the Café to keep the friendly feeling going.

Now I've gone off-topic... but I can salvage this because I'm off to give the puppy a bath. :wink:
debk
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

I agree with this. Sometimes I read through several posts and am as clueless after reading them as I was before I began- sadly they are neither helpful nor informative just irrelevant.The chat room is the place for our rambles,which unfortunately do get cliquey at times :cry:
Lesblancs

Post by Lesblancs »

I wish I had the courage to have been the first person in with this comment.

I made a veiled suggestion about 'the knitting circle', thought better of it, (as I am just a stupid man) & slipped quietly away into the background.

That's a shame, cos I have received much helpful and useful advice from LMH. But as suggested in some of the above comments, it is all starting to become a bit tiresome.

Robert
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Though this was about dogs.................. :wink: :D
Buckie

Post by Buckie »

Chit Chat, I am glad that there are like minded people to myself. I have enjoyed LMH and I was waiting for Paolo to step in any time and, with his usual quiet control, put a stop to the idle chat. Now that a few of us have mentioned it, I hope that the chit chat can go to the relevent "Cafe" or wherever. I will keep enjoying the majority of postings. Buckie.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi All

Sorry If Ive offended anyone on the Forum...It wasnt meant.... :oops: :cry:

Im probably the worst culprit in going off the subject.

I understand that a lot of people are viewing & using the Forum for advice and havent time or inclination to read a lot of banter.

Ive found the forum very useful and wouldnt want to jeapordise its usefulness in any way.
Last edited by Big Sis.. on Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

Lesblancs wrote:I wish I had the courage to have been the first person in with this comment.

I made a veiled suggestion about 'the knitting circle', thought better of it, (as I am just a stupid man) & slipped quietly away into the background.

Robert
Ah, now I understand the 'knitting circle', mind you that comment was in the cafe thread, right place, yes ?. Guilty as charged along with others for straying off subject sometimes and will try to behave in future :wink:
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
enid

Post by enid »

That's what makes this a grown up forum - folks can have their say and the we try to listen to each other's point of view and respect it. See you in the knitting circle :D
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Good comment Enid ( oops- should I have posted that in the Chatroom ??? :wink: ). Lots of sites have had problems with postings, it's almost bound to happen BUT how they are dealt with is the issue, often slanging matches ensue- not our style at all :lol: Long may it continue....now, where is that knitting circle post... :wink:

www.thepetitmanoir.com
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Fraise,

I came from a "slanging match" Forum which didn't have a Café or a Chatroom, not even a knitting circle. Come to think of it, it didn't even have nice people.

That's why I'm happy here.

Fluffy
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

HelenB wrote:Though this was about dogs.................. ;) :)
Hah! That made me laugh.

I don't mind chit-chat or in-jokes (and I probably see everything as an in-joke because I naturally don't get a lot of the UK references people make), even within a thread on another topic. Cross-referencing threads and making jokes to each other within "real" rental topics makes this place feel friendly and community-like even outside The Cafe. I just prefer it when the thread doesn't get totally derailed because of it.

I suppose nobody will ever want to discuss dog-friendly rentals ever again! :) Perhaps we should even split this topic and put it in the cafe?
Brooke
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Brooke :D well done, :wink:
I don't mind chit-chat or in-jokes (and I probably see everything as an in-joke because I naturally don't get a lot of the UK references people make), even within a thread on another topic. Cross-referencing threads and making jokes to each other within "real" rental topics makes this place feel friendly and community-like even outside The Cafe. I just prefer it when the thread doesn't get totally derailed because of it.
I think this was the best comments so far
and as one of the worst offenders taken totally on board........ :oops:

But PLEASE, please start talking about Dogs again.....
[I might even start having to pretend Ive got one :wink:] :D
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

But PLEASE, please start talking about Dogs again.....
[I might even start having to pretend Ive got one
There was once this dog, and it had a slipper bath while it was knitting..... :lol:

But to dogs really. The guests in this week rang a couple of weeks ago to warn that their 2 dogs were long haired and did shed a bit. She asked if I had a decent vacuum which would deal with the hairs or should she bring her own. I let her know I have the "Animal" Dyson and have left a few of those sticky lint/hair remover things as a back up. That level of responsibility is great, offering to bring a vacuum. She can come back! (Although I'll wait and see what the place is like tomorrow)

I have said it so many times and will say again, I'd totally struggle for bookings if I didn't accept dogs. Maybe it is a geographical thing. Folk thing of our lovely deserted beaches and countryside in Northumberland as ideal for their doggies - and it is!

I'm an off topic offender too so I promise to reform. :oops: