Becoming Dog-friendly!

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
squirrel

Post by squirrel »

Mea culpe :oops:

Seems I have been involved in the forum sin of thread hi jacking.

To all those that were offended please accept apologies and put it down to being an inexperienced poster.

Now where are those kniting needles??
Squirrel
Always expect the unexpected
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

There was once this dog, and it had a slipper bath while it was knitting.....
:lol: :lol:

Hi Soodyer, this isnt a shaggy dog story is it :wink: :roll:
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

I have just come back from a week in France, and have finally caught up with this thread. So I can now post here, bang on topic like Miss Goody Four-Hooves, and with my hand on my heart say that while away, we had our first booking inquiry from a family with a dog!!!! It's a Jack Russell crossed with a Manchester Terrier. What's that, and will it rip up the rugs, fixtures and fittings? Semi-seriously, and putting all considerations of allergies on one side for a mo (might have to take a view on that, as they do want four weeks .... 8)) should we admit some dogs and not others, and what's the position on cross-breeds? When does a terrier become a tearaway?

We state 'no pets' on our blurb, but this one sounds a cutie - might be even better behaved than some humans! :wink:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Ciapolin

Post by Ciapolin »

In my experience, there are no bad dogs, just bad owners!
Carole-Anne
Cascina Ciapolin
www.piedmont-holidays.com
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

And that's a bit more difficult to assess from a booking inquiry! 'Very well-behaved' is how she described her little friend, a familiar phrase!
Last edited by Giddy Goat on Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

GG, I've been looking around for some accommodation for March , we're going down to out apartment, and have decided to have a few days in another ski resort on the way. We're looking in Italy, and lots of them say 'small dogs welcome'. When does a small dog become a medium or large one??
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Yup - good point Helen! And is it judged with the aid of a tape measure, and does the tail count - what about Boxers and Corgis?! :lol: Measure your canine friend, and we'll put it to the vote here as to whether he (she?) ranks as small.
Lesblancs

Post by Lesblancs »

Now ladies,

I am going to try to answer this one seriously.

Aside from the hairs, allergies etc which are different issues, I would suggest that most owners who take their dogs on holiday would also have reasonably controlled dogs.

Mine for instance will happily sleep in the car on the overnight St Malo crossing, without chewing or soiling anything. Infact they don't do that at any time.

Normally dogs who are destructive do so because they are anxious, or left alone a lot.

As far as breeds go it doesn't matter a jot. In fact cross breeds are often more balanced.

For instance, we have a Springer Spaniel, who is very intelligent, very active, & therefore needs a lot of exercise & play. A lot of Springers end up in rescue centres, often because people cannot cope with them. I can understand that.

As far as dog sizes go, the breeds are categorized by size on most 'doggy sites'. Up to 10 kilo from memory is small, 10-20 medium, 20+ large.

We worried about our dogs when we had guests, especially as they were not used to children. No problem at all thankfully.
We have also changed our no pets rule to pets considered out of high season.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Thanks Robert. Of course, it's measured by weight - shows how long we've been dogless. :cry: Think I was recalling when we bought our wire-haired dachshund a winter coat. It was waxed, like a Barbour! Very 'county' she looked in it too - well, when it was new.. All she needed to complete the ensemble was a string of pearls and a nice tweed skirt.

Have just now had a call from our doggie owner, who sounds lovely in fact, and I hope she will book.
enid

Post by enid »

We allow dogs - we haven't had many but those we have had have been superb - gites left as clean as can be and no smells or hair problems. Owners brought beds etc themselves.
I would suggest that most owners who take their dogs on holiday would also have reasonably controlled dogs.
I agree.