Daroder dot com

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
FelicityA

Daroder dot com

Post by FelicityA »

These nasty spammy people have turned up in my analytics. I goggled and found this http://www.sudorank.com/guide-how-to-bl ... r-website/

As I don't have the know how or access to the inner workings of my own website on Promote my Place, I emailed PMP on Sunday night. They came straight back to say it had been referred to the tech guys. Now they have fixed it ( blocking access). All hail PMP, the best customer service anywhere!
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Good for them!

I went through the process of blocking darodar on our website today, so they've obviously been busy. Another one that's just popped up in my analytics is make-money-online.7makemoneyonline so might be worth asking PMP to block them, as well as semalt who've been around for some time.

Whether they do any harm I really don't know, but they do muck up your stats.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

I'm getting some of these too. For people not on PMP, it's possible to block them in the htaccess file. When I've finished moving house, I'll post how to do it or anyone who's interested.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Ooh I just went looking and they show up on my Google stats too.

Now I have no idea how to find my ht.access file on my wordpress site. GB any clues in the interim whilst kevs busy moving house? :wink:
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Nemo wrote:Ooh I just went looking and they show up on my Google stats too.

Now I have no idea how to find my ht.access file on my wordpress site. GB any clues in the interim whilst kevs busy moving house? :wink:
You can put an htaccess file anywhere but normally it's in the root folder, if it applies to the whole website. You may not even have one at all and would have to create one.

I did some research a few days ago and found this page, which seemed the most comprehensive.

http://en.linuxreviews.org/HOWTO_stop_a ... _.htaccess
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Gulp that looks seriously complicated! I have gone digging and found the folder but I'm guessing I could seriously screw my website by messing with it and getting it wrong?

The link that Felicity found just shows a simple copy and paste for this particular spammer. Could I go wrong following this?
Add this code to your .htaccess file.

SetEnvIfNoCase Referer darodar.com spambot=yes
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
Deny from env=spambot

What This Code Does
It basically sets a variable called “spambot” – then it assigns all visits from darodar.com as that variable.

Then it tells the server to block that variable from entry to your website.
If that looks ok, is there a particular place in the file to add it?
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

The htaccess file could obviously stop your site from working completely but as long as you have access to that file, then any mistake can be reversed. I don't think it matters where that section goes.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Here's what mine looks like:
SetEnvIfNoCase Referer semalt.com spammer=yes
SetEnvIfNoCase Referer poker spammer=yes
SetEnvIfNoCase Referer kambasoft.com spammer=yes
SetEnvIfNoCase Referer buttons-for-website.com spammer=yes
SetEnvIfNoCase Referer 7makemoneyonline.com spammer=yes
SetEnvIfNoCase Referer darodar.com spammer=yes

Order allow,deny
Allow from all
Deny from env=spammer
It's very similar to the sample you've posted, but blocks a number of sites (if you have more than one, each one starts with the SetEnv......) and uses spammer rather than spambot - I have no idea if there's any difference. Note it's consistent - uses spammer in the last statement.

This is right at the end of my htaccess file, after the statement
# END WordPress (cos I'm using Wordpress.....)

Does that help or confuse.....?

ps most of the file is auto-generated by a clever plugin - I've added the last two today.
pps I don't know if it has to be right at the very end, but that's where the spam stuff appears on mine.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Thanks both. I'll give it a whirl later. :)
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

The last couple of days the top hits on my website have come from new referral spammers, econom.co and iloveltaly.com which, along with iloveltaly.ru, is apparently associated with econom.co (and it seems there may be a lot more associated sites in the pipeline.)

I don't know the difference between what the statements in the htaccess file do, but to get rid of econom.co I had use both spammer=yes and spambot=yes.
The relevant part of my htaccess file now looks like this:
SetEnvIfNoCase Referer econom.co spambot=yes
SetEnvIfNoCase Referer iloveitaly.com spambot=yes
SetEnvIfNoCase Referer ilovevitaly.ru spambot=yes
SetEnvIfNoCase Referer shopping.ilovevitaly.ru spambot=yes

Order allow,deny
Allow from all
Deny from env=spambot

SetEnvIfNoCase Referer ilovevitaly.ru spammer=yes
SetEnvIfNoCase Referer ilovevitaly.com spammer=yes
SetEnvIfNoCase Referer shopping.ilovevitaly.ru spammer=yes
SetEnvIfNoCase Referer econom.co spammer=yes

Order allow,deny
Allow from all
Deny from env=spammer
Any pointers from the experts are very welcome - this is getting beyond a joke and looks like it's going to get worse.
Last edited by greenbarn on Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
holidayinsuffolk

Post by holidayinsuffolk »

If you use Google Analytics and want to exclude 'known Bots and Spiders' this article shows you how (basically go to Admin > View Settings and tick the box at the bottom!)

http://techcrunch.com/2014/07/30/google ... d-spiders/
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

holidayinsuffolk wrote:If you use Google Analytics and want to exclude 'known Bots and Spiders' this article shows you how (basically go to Admin > View Settings and tick the box at the bottom!)

http://techcrunch.com/2014/07/30/google ... d-spiders/
It looks like that only stops the referrer spam being reported in your stats rather than blocking it from visiting your website?

Useful for cleaning the stats though.