How does your Website display on mobile phones?

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
cleanforum

How does your Website display on mobile phones?

Post by cleanforum »

Happy New Year All!

I have my web hosted with PMP which for a desktop I am very pleased with in general. However the Mobile version seems a little unattractive in my opinion. How does your web look in mobile version?

Seems that the mobile will before long be one of the main ways that people see our houses.

Any recommendations for improvments here?
Essar

Post by Essar »

I use a product called Xara Designer Pro X10; this builds up multiple variants of the same website. I have one for Desktop, iPad types and mobiles (you can have as many as you like). It builds the first one automatically, after that you define which parts of the website is common to all and any changes made in these components will reflect across all variants. You can also define components and layout definitions that are only applicable to a particular variant.
I have done an initial set of variants but do need to spend a little more time on the smaller variant versions.

I did use FreeToBooks mobile version before the Xara upgrade included the multi-variant options - I abandoned it fairly quickly as I didn't like the results.

Google analytics show that 41% of visitors to my site use a mobile device to access it.
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

I now use responsive CSS techniques, which although not perfect, works well on mobile devices and can be tweaked to suit.

One problem is that even mobile devices vary so much in resolution, so how many do you cater for? I currently cater for about 5 resolutions in the CSS.

It's surprising how many people surf the web on old low res iphones.
Last edited by kevsboredagain on Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CSE

Post by CSE »

In to coding?
try this.
http://getbootstrap.com/
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
tavi

Post by tavi »

I've just looked at your Mexicana site on my Nokia Lumia - looks ok to me - all sites are a little re-arranged on mobiles I guess.

My own site seems to look fine (also PMP) - the home page looks great and the menu is clear. I've just noticed that my captions are not beneath the photos I might mention that to PMP, it may be something I've done.

On my rates page the text comes before the photos but maybe that's ok for a mobile site - mobile users are probably even more impatient than anyone - they don't want to be endlessly scrolling.

Two things I've done on PMP is
not to have the header slideshow on every page and not to show the menu at the bottom of each page...I don't think this is relevant to your question - just mentioning it in passing.
cleanforum

Post by cleanforum »

Thanks for the replies. I went the PMP route after having multiple sites for years (when the sites were the main income flow). I like the desktop format but I suppose as an ex-programmer I miss the control for formatting and page elements.

I feel that the look and feel of the mobile site is a bit clunky especially the home page does not seem to be particulary attractive. The Title and text could be better. I guess I should be saying this to PMP so I´ll send them a note.

Thanks again fo the feedback.
cleanforum

Post by cleanforum »

Just thought I would follow up and post the reply I received about mobile versions on PMP for those interested, this is the response->

The mobile friendly display version of your website is simply a basic form of the site so that mobile users can more easily navigate around than if they were viewing the desktop version on a mobile device.

However, we are aware of the need for more fully responsive templates - meaning that the look & feel of the website is also kept when viewed on mobile devices, which is why we're in the final stages of testing a couple of responsive design templates.

Once these are released, you can switch over from your current template to one of those.

If you don't want to change design templates, then soon after, we will be releasing an update that enables all our templates to be fully responsive.

But at this stage I'm afraid I can't give you a timescale, however I know the development team are wanting it completed as soon as possible.

I hope that helps and you'll be patient for a while longer to wait for our responsive templates.

Customer Support.
Cassis

Post by Cassis »

I appreciate the technical beauty of CSS solutions, and when rewriting from scratch I might go that route, but TBH I can't be bothered to redo the whole site at present so I've just got a separate lightweight subdomain for mobiles, with a Javascript redirection for any device trying to access the desktop version if it's under 800px resolution. Not perfect but good enough and it only took a couple of days.

Maybe next winter I'll redo completely, but I only do a full overhaul every 5 years and that's the next due date. I'm still weighing the pros and cons.

Having a separate mobile site may appear clunky, but it does mean you can keep it ultra-slim and cut out heavy pages with images, detailed tourist information etc. that many people on a mobile device would never bother with. I may still stick with it.
Real name Phil
Moved to France in 2004
Likes ducks, nature, gardening, furniture restoration, DIY, rugby, blah, blah.
CSE

Post by CSE »

Cassis wrote:............

Maybe next winter I'll redo completely, but I only do a full overhaul every 5 years and that's the next due date. I'm still weighing the pros and cons.

Having a separate mobile site may appear clunky, but it does mean you can keep it ultra-slim and cut out heavy pages with images, detailed tourist information etc. that many people on a mobile device would never bother with. I may still stick with it.
Maybe you should read this.
viewtopic.php?t=23266
Cassis

Post by Cassis »

casasantoestevo wrote:
Cassis wrote:............

Maybe you should read this.
viewtopic.php?t=23266
Why? Maybe you should try this. :lol: :lol:

https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools ... bres.co.uk

Real name Phil
Moved to France in 2004
CSE

Post by CSE »

So don't understand your comment as quoted in our previous post. If it works all is fine so no need to think about a redesign to suit.
Cassis

Post by Cassis »

This bit might explain:
I appreciate the technical beauty of CSS solutions, and when rewriting from scratch I might go that route, but TBH I can't be bothered to redo the whole site at present so I've just got a separate lightweight subdomain for mobiles, with a Javascript redirection for any device trying to access the desktop version if it's under 800px resolution. Not perfect but good enough and it only took a couple of days.
More than one way to skin the old cat, that's all. 8)
Real name Phil
Moved to France in 2004