Lay My Hat home page Lay My Hat Forum
The forum for holiday rental owners

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Rabbits
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lay My Hat Forum Index -> Managing your garden and pool
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PW in Polemi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Essar wrote:
PW in Polemi wrote:
Happily, we don't have rabbits to contend with now we've moved to Cyprus.
Good luck!

A bit drastic moving to Cyprus over a few bunnies Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing Only it wasn't just a few bunnies - it was dozens of the dear little critters Twisted Evil - they ate all my parsley (planted just outside the kitchen door) and decimated the lower plants in my (home made) strawberry barrel. I could only grow veg in a rabbit-proof enclosure - but that didn't stop the field rats from eating all my root veg, nor the magpies from nibbling my sweetcorn Twisted Evil and ignoring the adjacent field of cattle corn. Grrr!

The ferreters didn't help - there were too many holes in too many earth banks. The cat didn't help much, although she did bring one live bunny in through the cat flap at dinner time one evening! Shocked Lead pellets lost their efficacy due to distance - so our neighbours lost their free food Very Happy

The only thing that helped drastically reduce the rabbit population was an outbreak of mixamytosis - it was horrible to see badly infected bunnies staggering about. They didn't deserve that slow lingering death. Crying or Very sad

Jemima, if you know where the entrance holes are, you could try placing some lion poo just there. It should put the rabbits off, and make them think there's a large predator about, so they need to move house Laughing
revdev

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the ferreters don't work, find yourself a local young lad with one of the new age pcp type airguns. Some of them are effective out to over 100 yards (providing he can shoot straight of course).
Sam V

Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Essar wrote:
PW in Polemi wrote:
Happily, we don't have rabbits to contend with now we've moved to Cyprus.
Good luck!

A bit drastic moving to Cyprus over a few bunnies Laughing

GB says semtex - try instead a nice bowl of anti-freeze hidden in beds, much cheaper, although, just as illegal!

A number of local dogs here recently have died of antifreeze poisoning after some idiot left poisoned bait on a local common. Plus, the poison can be transferred from the victim to any unsuspecting eater of the dead animal, that has also happened to someone's dog.

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
elena

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had horrendous problems with hundreds of rabbits digging up everything from the veggie patch to OH's prize greens on the pitch & putt.

We tried everything and OH resorted to driving at full speed around the golf course at midnight to chase them off! Sometimes he took some of the guests (older kids usually!) with him and they found it hilarious watching them scarper in all directions - a real live rabbit in the headlights sort of chase!!
Eventually we ripped up old sheets into long thin strips & dipped them in diesel - they hate the smell apparantly -laid them around the greens and vegetable patch and it seemed to do the trick ...it didn't stop them altogether but there was a distinct drop in the damage created.

Elena
Dordogne holiday cottages
Tales from our Dordogne gites
keep in touch with Les Crouquets on Facebook
follow us on pinterest
NEW!! Dordogne Holiday Villa with private pool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lay My Hat Forum Index -> Managing your garden and pool All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: