Time given for return of Bkg Contract & p'ment of deposi

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
GRL

Post by GRL »

I block dates on my direct booking site for 4 days but if anyone else comes in asking for the same dates I chase up the original enquirer for a quick answer.
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

I give 24 hours from the time they confirm to go ahead with a booking. Most people would/should have checked out flights and they can be added to the booking form later. I got fed up with confirmations to go ahead and then no deposit or a change of mind without telling me and losing out on another booking. Remember the days of booking your holiday at the desk in the travel agent? Deposit paid there and then from what I recall. Online payments are quick and easy, so no excuse. I charge an admin fee for cheques but give them 5 days to materialise.
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
chipiechoo

Post by chipiechoo »

Thank you each and everyone of you who have taken the trouble to answer my question. Wonderful having this forum to obtain such valued advice.
Have now reduced our days down to 3, seemed a good benchmark though obviously some cases need to be judged on merit, shall see how it works out.
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

We give a generous 7 days to allow for the fact that many people still send us cheques. Except when it's a shorter notice booking (less than 2 weeks away) and then it would be 48hrs & no cheques allowed. We don't take very last minute bookings for various reasons so time isn't usually an issue.

We tell them it's provisionally booked for the 7 days. What that means in practice is that it still shows as available online & if we get any enquiries for the same dates I explain to them that I'll know in a few days whether it will be available or not.

Experience has shown that the vast majority of guests go through with the booking so this works for us and is reassuring for the guests too.

Also, by specifying a time span I don't have to chase them up if I haven't heard from them after 7 days. I sometimes chase up earlier if I've got a gut feeling that they might not follow through and another enquiry comes in.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Cheques are being withdrawn as a method of payment and I cannot personally remember the last time I wrote one. I think that if you specify payment by bank transfer or other electronic means people will just run with it. Holding a booking for seven days is unnecessary in this modern world.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Casscat wrote:Cheques are being withdrawn as a method of payment and I cannot personally remember the last time I wrote one.
Not quite yet. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8414341.stm. I write them for my kids and nieces at Birthdays and Christmas. I receive them from my family as gifts and when I make a car warranty claim. I also receive them regularly from guests as many are still wedded to this method. It really depends on your guest type.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Not long to go though. Those who are 'wedded' are going to have to get divorced :lol: