Newbie webiste review

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
Robin S

Newbie webiste review

Post by Robin S »

Hi All

Still finding my feet here so go easy :)

I'd be curious for your take on www.onespring.co.uk

It's been quite heavily optimised from a User Journey point of view to drive availability checking and booking enquiries.

I'm conscious it's a bit light on info. I've written an area guide I share with guests when bookings are confirmed that I plan on adding shortly along with a blog to update both old and possible guests on developments in the area and ongoing investments we're making in the property.

What are your thoughts?

R
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

8,500 sq ft? :shock: Is that correct?

I've not looked in depth, but your font size on the home page is not consistent and the links aren't live. Also why is the link to the watersports club 'hidden'? Do you need a secret handshake to get in? :mrgreen:

I think the photos should all be of the same size, and I'm not keen on the turquoise towels on the beds because they do smack a little of a Thai massage emporium. The sofa might benefit from some contrast cushions and the living/dining room photo maybe needs some lifestyling (table laid, wine glasses/bottles etc.) In fact it's slightly confusing as there seems to be another indoor dining table with rattan chairs. Both tables seat four when your ad is for six guests so I'd make sure that there are six chairs around the table.
CSE

Post by CSE »

Plus points.
Responsive
File size for the front page is good.

Minus points.
Page title tags like "home page" could do with some work.
Links without title attributes.
No Doctype declaration.
The date picker is not working very well; choosing the 5 Feb as date of entry the following calender only loads from May and will not show older dates. In case it was because it is a different season choose another date 1 Aug to find the second calender jumped back to Jan 2015.
A lot of HTML errors.
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http: ... ing.co.uk/
Are things like Java script and CCS files not linked to? Are they written within the file?
the website does not redirect when you do not use the www.
Google SERP Snippet could be better written.

The content:
Whilst your photos look ok there is very little in the way of words to describe the property.
Personally do not like the links on the last page to events and deals etc being produced by other websites like Yelp. It seems oh so impersonal. And it is driving traffic to more so called listing sites.
Does it make us want to reserve? Sorry it is a no.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

casasantoestevo wrote:
Minus points.
Links without title attributes.
No Doctype declaration.
The date picker is not working very well; choosing the 5 Feb as date of entry the following calender only loads from May and will not show older dates. In case it was because it is a different season choose another date 1 Aug to find the second calender jumped back to Jan 2015.
A lot of HTML errors.
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http: ... ing.co.uk/
Are things like Java script and CCS files not linked to? Are they written within the file?
I think the code was automatically produced by myvr.com so I'd imagine the author has very little control over any of these points.

It's the first myvr.com site I've seen on here though so interesting to see something other than PMP for an automatically generated rental site.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

I like the site, but I find it a bit disconcerting to have american style dates (mm/dd/yy) for a UK website/domain/holiday.
The prices page is very confusing for UK guests as a result.
I'm glad you have 2.0 bathrooms rather than 2.1 bathrooms!
Robin S

Post by Robin S »

Hi All

Thanks for the feedback, appreciated. I think i'm one of MyVR's first customers outside of the US, and they're still very early doors (and are v. responsive to feedback), so please feel free to keep it coming :)

R
CSE

Post by CSE »

kevsboredagain yep that may be the case, but it does illustrate that one should choose wisely who you use to to make a website.
How would someone who is not into the code side of things is going to find out is doubtful, unless they read this forum first.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
elena

Post by elena »

Hi ...quick first visual impressions (no time just now to read it all)!

Love the clean, clear feel of the site.

From a purely personal point of view I find the large "wallpaper" photo ( lovely as it is!) a bit distracting - it detracts from the smaller photos of the rooms etc positioned on top. I'd keep it for a landing page and leave the background clear to showcase your property photos.

Agree with Casscat that the table would be better shown for 6 - it looks good for 4 but leaves me feeling you've shown it like that because 6 is a bit cramped.... and yes I'd dress the living room table as the photo looks a bit empty.

I admit I'm a bit OCD with details so maybe not the best person to judge but I think the bedrooms could benefit with some "dressing"...there's no bedside lamps and I can't see any light switch on the wall so my first thought is that I'm going to have to read in the glare of the full light and then get out of bed to switch it off.....and I'd pull the duvet covers taut to get rid of the wrinkles which makes me feel that someone has just got out of bed and pulled up the covers and I really want to see a pristine newly made bed....( sorry, I can't help it :oops: )

Agree too that the American dates on the rates page is confusing especially as the booking form has a UK date format.

I think the place looks really wonderful and you have some great reviews - well done!

Elena
Dordogne holiday cottages
Tales from our Dordogne gites
keep in touch with Les Crouquets on Facebook
follow us on pinterest
NEW!! Dordogne Holiday Villa with private pool
man who stand on side of mountain with mouth open waiting for roast duck to fly in have long wait....