tour de yorkshire

Come for a relaxed chat about anything at all and meet your fellow rental owners.
bessie

tour de yorkshire

Post by bessie »

I was coming to the conclusion our cottage is not in a tourist area ,but suddenly our little village is on a map.
The tour de Yorkshire bike race is coming past our cottage.
Nuthatch

Post by Nuthatch »

Same here! We're a back-of-beyond place and suddenly we had the Tour de France coming up our road last year, and we're one of the few places to get the Tour de Yorkshire this year too. If only we had a bit of flat land to offer glamping as well (it's a bit hilly in the Pennines!)
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

How awful. I used to live in Surrey and first the Olympics and then lots of other bike races took place around the roads - it was a nightmare. All the roads were closed, people couldn't get in or out of their homes all day - they couldn't shop or even go to work, nothing. The police were really rude and very strongarm if you dared protest or venture out.
We had huge protests, but "they" didn't pay any attention, it was "sport", therefore we just had to suffer it for some bloody-minded officious County Council decision - just wait till the next elections, then they'll see what a hornet's nest they've stirred up.

Mols
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
impasse

Post by impasse »

Moliere wrote:How awful. I used to live in Surrey and first the Olympics and then lots of other bike races took place around the roads - it was a nightmare. All the roads were closed, people couldn't get in or out of their homes all day - they couldn't shop or even go to work, nothing. The police were really rude and very strongarm if you dared protest or venture out.
We had huge protests, but "they" didn't pay any attention, it was "sport", therefore we just had to suffer it for some bloody-minded officious County Council decision - just wait till the next elections, then they'll see what a hornet's nest they've stirred up.

Mols
Yorkshire is more civilised! The people are more friendly. We accept the Tour de Yorkshire with pleasure. Also the scenery is much better here than 'down South'
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

impasse wrote:
Yorkshire is more civilised! The people are more friendly. We accept the Tour de Yorkshire with pleasure. Also the scenery is much better here than 'down South'

Typical Yorkshire b*llocks! I've been down to Yorkshire many times and it's not a patch on Surrey, neither for scenery nor for people (or "tykes" as the local dialect has it).
And just wait till some police thug tells you that you can't go out to work or the shops or the doctor and then see how you get on (rather like your miners did back in the '80s).

Still, the good news is that while the wallies are biking around you, they're not bothering Surrey, so that'll be a relief; and if you enjoy it, so much the better.

Mols :lol:
Essar

Post by Essar »

As a Yorkshireman living in Dorset - I am not exiled, just avoiding clingy children - I can sympathise with Mols; Dorset is beautiful and the Poole harbour fantastic. However, having worked in London whilst living in East Yorkshire and having had to defend my northern roots and the beauty of north gainst the "southern 80ll0ck$" - "you don't have the theatres like what we have" - "the weathers better in the south".

I can only say that the "Republic of Yorkshire" is getting stronger and stronger and mainly because it's got the big feller on it's side; after all it is "God's own country".
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
bessie

Post by bessie »

I am Yorkshire born and bred and proud of it.Well actually Holderness.
I did not expect my comment about the bike race to become so hostile about Yorkshire.
We all defend our area and it would be boring if each county were the same.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Quite agree, Bessie, but it's just a bit of rivalry and banter, and just for the record, I'm from Durham!

M 8)
kg1

Post by kg1 »

We suffer the Surrey cycling Mafia too plus the Woking half marathon going past the end of our road. Our son had to park 2 streets away last year so he could get out to work. Even worse is the New Forest. The council there are going to make cycle events get a licence as the place is overrun with cycling events and the Marathon has been cancelled this year because the huge numbers couldn't be controlled safely on the small roads.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Yeah, Kyreniagirl, I used to live in Cobham, so you know what it was like when the bikes were out!

M
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Yep. We're gearing up already. Adverts on radio. Maps being shoved through doors telling you where and when you can't go.
cysgod y coed

Post by cysgod y coed »

I was a motorcycle marshal for a three mile section of the Surrey race. The roads were closed, volunteers manned every junction and crossing and thousands of people came out to enjoy the spectacle.
I found the residents to be very friendly, supportive and enthusiastic. Even got a booking from my business card.

Hoping to be on the Tour de Yorkshire too.
If you can keep your head when all around you are panicking.......you have probably not seen the whole picture.
Wonkeye

Post by Wonkeye »

17 Reasons Yorkshire Is The Wonderland You Never Thought To Visit
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/1 ... 49016.html
No comment.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

cysgod y coed wrote:The roads were closed, volunteers manned every junction and crossing and thousands of people came out to enjoy the spectacle.
I found the residents to be very friendly, supportive and enthusiastic.
Trouble is, for every person lining the route for a flash of lycra, there were others trapped in their homes and prevented from going about their normal business simply to cater for some sort of sporting competition. It wouldn't be permitted for other purposes. Is it fair that people should have their lives messed up like this?

M
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

One or two days of the route being closed for the race is one thing. The biggest problem for some of us who live there is all the wannabee "super cyclists" who come and practice in these areas, hurtling down the hills at speed and /or clogging up the narrow lanes and roads.
Fleur