tour de yorkshire

Come for a relaxed chat about anything at all and meet your fellow rental owners.
Marks

Post by Marks »

It is typical UK over-reaction to everything in pursuit of 'elf & safety and the fear of being sued if little Johnny gets his big toe run over by a cyclist. As long as the minority are catered for to hell with the majority.

Friends of mine lived on the route of La Vuelta, no-one was trapped indoors, roads were closed just prior to the bikes arriving and straight after they had gone. No-one died, no-one sued anybody and local residents were able to enjoy the spectacle.

It's the same as closing a motorway for hours on end when there has been a crash. Why? I live not far from an autovia which is notorious for crashes, it doesn't get closed, the police work quickly to get one lane open, the grua removes the wrecks, the dead and injured get taken away and the motorway opens. How many stories do you read of UK motorists being held up for hours whilst The Plod faffs about doing who knows what into the night?
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Marks wrote:How many stories do you read of UK motorists being held up for hours whilst The Plod faffs about doing who knows what into the night?
Not that many years ago the same would have applied in the UK. Wreckage would just be dragged to the side of the road and the motorway reopened. Unfortunately, the 'faffing about' nowadays is a result of the UK's blame culture and the Police being sued for anything and everything. Result - they have to ensure they gather every miniscule bit of forensic evidence to satisfy the aftermath. You can't have blame claims without consequences for all.
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Moliere wrote:
cysgod y coed wrote:The roads were closed, volunteers manned every junction and crossing and thousands of people came out to enjoy the spectacle.
I found the residents to be very friendly, supportive and enthusiastic.
Trouble is, for every person lining the route for a flash of lycra, there were others trapped in their homes and prevented from going about their normal business simply to cater for some sort of sporting competition. It wouldn't be permitted for other purposes. Is it fair that people should have their lives messed up like this?

M
My feelings exactly. They don't care that other folk still have lives to live and work to go to. I'm sure if you are involved it's all great fun but to many of us it's a pain in the a**.

And yes all the wannabees are out on the cycle route in the days before. Last year I inadvertantly found myself on the cycle route in Dorking area the day before the race - it was swarming with cyclists & was actually quite scary & dangerous.

Post by Guest »

:?:
Last edited by Guest on Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cysgod y coed

Post by cysgod y coed »

Fair point
I only marshal British Cycling events
If you can keep your head when all around you are panicking.......you have probably not seen the whole picture.
CrabtreeBarnYorks

Post by CrabtreeBarnYorks »

Hi Nuthatch, just read your post and seen you're about 7 miles from us, we're just at Scammonden outside Ripponden and have the tour de yorks coming along the top of the main road too. Exciting, the tour last year was great... We're only 6 month into the self catering game so nice to see some other locals on here.
ever hopeful!
www.crabtreebarn.com
Nuthatch

Post by Nuthatch »

Hi Crabtree Barn, nice to meet you!

Call in on us if you're passing - we're always happy to show people around.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

[quote="kyreniagirl"
And yes all the wannabees are out on the cycle route in the days before. Last year I inadvertantly found myself on the cycle route in Dorking area the day before the race - it was swarming with cyclists & was actually quite scary & dangerous.[/quote]

You forgot to mention the abuse - the swearing, the gestures, the spitting - the sheer anger with which they assail motorists - even the most considerate driver, who dawdles carefully behind them until it's quite safe to overtake, can expect a torrent of filth and rage.
I really cannot understand them, from where does this visceral hatred stem?

Mols
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

"And yes all the wannabees are out on the cycle route in the days before. Last year I inadvertantly found myself on the cycle route in Dorking area the day before the race - it was swarming with cyclists & was actually quite scary & dangerous."

Kyrenia Girl and Mols

Unfortunately for those of us who live there it is a year round hazard. :(
Fleur
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

I'm sure it's pretty bad, Fleur - it was bad enough round Cobham. On top of that of course you've the motorised variety - the Dorking Dorks we called them - roaring round the Mickleham bends at the weekends. Perhaps the cyclists could use the same route and they could all play nicely together? :roll:

Mols
kg1

Post by kg1 »

It wouldn't be so bad if they rode single file but it seems they like to chat and ride 2 or 3 abreast, thereby blocking the road & stopping anyone overtaking.

I did mention this to a 'cycling' work colleague who told me it was not against the law to ride in packs - no, bl**dy anti-social though!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Actually, Kyreniagirl, it is against the law. Rule 66 of The Highway Code states:
You should never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends.

So quote that to her next time.

Mols