B****y Ruinair

Come for a relaxed chat about anything at all and meet your fellow rental owners.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

I have flown Ryanair many, many times - even when they were universally perceived as sh1te before their recent 'aren't we cuddly' campaign. I have to say - and I am tempting fate as I have a booking pending :mrgreen: - that I have actually never had a bad experience. My flights have nearly always departed on time - or at least departed slightly late but still arrived within the very elastic Ryanair version of 'on time' - the planes are modern and acceptably clean, cabin service is no worse than any other budget airline and they get me from A to B at a price that others cannot match. They know their market, and at last they are addressing the fact that they are not the only player in it.

However on the point about access, one of the reasons I did not buy my holiday rental in certain locations was because the only UK/Irish carrier flying to the nearest airport was Ryanair. I had heard too many stories of a grand falling out between Ryanair and the airport (usually about money of course) which resulted in Ryanair simply pulling the route. For some people the promise of a 30-40 minute transfer became one of a 2-2.5hr transfer and that can be a bookings killer.
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

I have travelled on Ryanair several times in the past and have to be fair never had any kind of unacceptable experience - it is what it says on the tin

What I object to on this occasion was the clearly deliberate attempt to obfuscate the insurance issue - I don't think it is unreasonable when told to select 'don't insure me' from the drop down box to expect to find it at the top (or even at the bottom) of the options for country of residence - not in an alphabetical slot!!
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com
Marks

Post by Marks »

Casscat wrote:or at least departed slightly late but still arrived within the very elastic Ryanair version of 'on time'
I think most airlines have the same elasticity. ALC - LGW is 2 hours 10 minutes on average, as fast as 1 hour 50 minutes on a couple of wind assisted occasions. All the airlines that offer that route schedule 2 hours 30 minutes.

Ryanair no longer offer that route but their early morning slot (8am) has been taken by Norwegian - very new aircraft, free Wi-Fi on board and excellent service. Price wasn't bad either, I booked the early flight for last Thursday about a week beforehand for 18 Euros :D
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
pambon

Post by pambon »

Norwegian is making big strides down our way. Last August I flew to Copenhagen with them on an all inclusive one week stay so I don't know how much the flight actually cost. The aircraft was almost new, left punctually, charming Scandinavian crew; all told I was impressed. They only fly here during the summer months unfortunately.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Yes Norwegian started on a route here last summer and it was well spoken about.
We also have BA running a route from London City all year. It is bringing many city people to live on the island and commute...some places on Ibiza are like Chelsea on Sea :(

Sadly places in the North and Midlands rely on Jet2 and Ryanair as the main airlines. Easyjet just does the school holidays.
Scotland and Ireland flights are dreadful....and I have lost bookings through poor flight options.

You are spoiled having Alicante airport :lol:

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Marks

Post by Marks »

Mouse wrote:You are spoiled having Alicante airport :lol:
Provided I only want to travel north, for anything else it's a PITA going via Madrid/Barcelona.

Last November I went to Gran Canaria, amazingly no direct flights only Iberia via Madrid. Quite frankly if I never flew Iberia again I would be very happy. The world's worst couldn't give a sh*t airline.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Casscat wrote:However on the point about access, one of the reasons I did not buy my holiday rental in certain locations was because the only UK/Irish carrier flying to the nearest airport was Ryanair. I had heard too many stories of a grand falling out between Ryanair and the airport (usually about money of course) which resulted in Ryanair simply pulling the route. For some people the promise of a 30-40 minute transfer became one of a 2-2.5hr transfer and that can be a bookings killer.
Absolutely, that happened to Granada a few years ago. When we chose our location we took into account the 6 airports within 2 hours' drive, plus a TGV station, plus three autoroutes, all giving convenient access.
Perhaps that's a piece of good advice we should make a point of passing on in future to those just starting out who ask our assistance.

Moliere
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
Peggymac

Post by Peggymac »

I fly Ryanair fairly often, about 4 return trips a year. They are cheap, courteous and efficient. No complaints at all ...
Peggy and Lionel

Always do Cooking, Bed Making and Website design with Love and the rest will follow.
www.casteldecantobre.co.uk
www.casteldecantobre.fr
www.facebook.com/CastelDeCantobre
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

I would love to believe we have that sort of power! :lol: :lol: :lol:
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com
lorca

Post by lorca »

Interesting that over two thirds say they still wouldn't fly with them (although for some I guess there's little option)

I've only used them a couple of times. The last was a year ago when I was bringing my post-operative, adult son back to Spain for some R and R. They were the only available option at short notice (and not cheap!). I booked priority boarding and seats as he was still very weak and needed an aisle seat (6ft 3in and a partially healed scar from an op for a perforated ulcer).

We were about to board, the priority boarders were taken down to the runway to wait by the plane. But there were some sort of problems with loading the luggage and we ended up waiting 30 minutes in freezing fog. I asked if we could go back into the warm with the "non-priorities" but was refused point blank. Finally we got on to the plane but as it was only half full we weren't allowed to sit in the seats we'd booked as they had to "balance the weight". The result was a free-for-all. Finally managed to get my son an aisle seat thanks to the kindness of other passengers.

Hate them
If not now, when?