Chancer or bribery?

Come for a relaxed chat about anything at all and meet your fellow rental owners.
Jemima Copping

Chancer or bribery?

Post by Jemima Copping »

Got an enquiry for the cottage through the website which states clearly 'sleeps 2', asking if available for 3 adults and one child, and do I give discounts to Visit Scotland staff! A chancer or trying bribery? if I'd had my wits about me I should have said, 'no discount unless I get a Free entry with 5 stars to Visit Scotland and we'll make up some pallets on the floor for the extra 2 people and bring your own sleeping bags as well'.

http://www.bluebellcottageisleofskye.com :roll:
Better to be mutton dressed as lamb than mutton dressed as mutton!
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

This sounds outrageously unethical to me. I think I'd be reporting the member of staff involved to Visit Scotland. I like your suggested reply!
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

I don't see any bribery in that she was not offering you anything in return for the discount.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Jemima Copping

Post by Jemima Copping »

Very true Richard, but why should I give him a discount just because he works for Visit Scotland? Why mention it at all?
I have had no dealings with Visit Scotland for many years when I had a completely different business.
It begs the question, has he tried this before with other people and got away with it.
But I didn't even think of reporting him to VS Bunny! Probably won't do it, too much trouble and I just looked at the jobs on offer at VS and the pay isn't all that great for the lower echelons. So he was just trying it on I guess.
edinburgh

Post by edinburgh »

I'd resent a Visit Scotland employee asking for a discount on the basis of their employment.

Not least, because I dislike their organisation. They seem incredibly inefficient, and exist mostly as job creation. Their rating scheme is unnecessary for most properties, too.
Jemima Copping

Post by Jemima Copping »

Yes I agree with you there Edinburgh. We had a wee shop in Broadford for about 20 years and eventually stopped our membership because they got too expensive. I also was told at the time that they dictated to people what kind of furnishings to have in their rental properties which was a bit too controlling for my liking.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

It's not bribery, but it is unethical and pretty much 100% certain to be against the terms of his/her employment.

"Dear enquirer. 'Sleeps 2' means that the property accommodates two people, not four. As an employee of Visit Scotland I would have expected you to be aware of issues relating to maximum occupancy and how this is not only impractical but will invalidate my insurance.

I do not give discounts to Visit Scotland staff but I will be happy to contact your boss to ask if this is something he or she is encouraging. Perhaps you can let me have their name and email address."

If you have the benefit of the yet to be invented 'audio mail' you will hear the unmistakable sound of someone pooping themselves :mrgreen:
Essar

Post by Essar »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
Jemima Copping

Post by Jemima Copping »

I like it Casscat! :D :lol: :o
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

I like Casscat's reply, too.

Actually this reminds me of reading through CVs for a job application and one had written at the bottom: PS I know Teddy Taylor (Southend's MP at the time). Needless to say we didn't interview him!

TC
Debut novelist at http://tinyurl.com/or89jle

http://wivenhoewriters.blogspot.co.uk/
Contributor to anthology 'In a Word: Murder'
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

That reminds of many years ago I went for a job interview in London and was actually offered the 'casting couch' option. It wasn't even a particularly attractive job and I didn't want it, so he was out of luck! :lol: