Limiting the size of e-mails

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Ciapolin

Limiting the size of e-mails

Post by Ciapolin »

Is there a way of limiting the size of incoming e-mails on Outlook? I have been having problems with very large e-mails taking ages to download (particularly since the Italians won the world cup!). I am on dial up so if I could stop large e-mails coming in it would really help.
Carole-Anne
Cascina Ciapolin
www.piedmont-holidays.com
dmjarvis

Downloading large emails

Post by dmjarvis »

On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the Mail Delivery tab. Select the Don't download messages larger than check box, and then enter a number in the box.

You may also be able to do it at the ISP end if they allow you to block the download of large files.

Hope this helps!
Martin
Alan Knighting

Re: Downloading large emails

Post by Alan Knighting »

dmjarvis wrote:On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the Mail Delivery tab. Select the Don't download messages larger than check box, and then enter a number in the box.

You may also be able to do it at the ISP end if they allow you to block the download of large files.

Hope this helps!
Martin
Martin,

I suspect that is the way it is done in Outlook Express? The method in Outlook is more complex but can be found by going to the Online Help System and searching for "Stop downloading large messages".

Alan
dmjarvis

Re: Downloading large emails

Post by dmjarvis »

Alan Knighting wrote:
dmjarvis wrote:On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the Mail Delivery tab. Select the Don't download messages larger than check box, and then enter a number in the box.

Hope this helps!
Martin
Martin,

I suspect that is the way it is done in Outlook Express? The method in Outlook is more complex but can be found by going to the Online Help System and searching for "Stop downloading large messages".

Alan
It is likely to be release-dependant, as I have Outlook (not Outlook Express) 2000 and I can stop downloading large messages by following the above instructions. Indeed, by using my Outlook Help Facility it tells me to do it like this. So I guess the moral of the story is to use Outlook help and it will let you know how to do it for whatever flavour of Outlook / Outlook Express that you are using :)

Martin
Ciapolin

Post by Ciapolin »

Thanks to both of you. There is no 'mail delivery' tab on my version of Outlook, so I presume I need to look at the ISP or online help.

Off to try that now!
Carole-Anne
Cascina Ciapolin
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Martin,

It must be as mine is Outlook 2003 and the method is:-

On the “Tools� menu select “Send/Receive� then “Send/Receive Settings� then “Define Send/Receive Groups�.

Highlight the Group you want to change and click “Edit�.

Under “Accounts� select the account you want.

Make your choice between “Download item description only� (item description means message headers so you will still be aware of the e-mails and can download those you wish to read), or

“Download complete item including attachments� It is here that you can limit the size of e-mails to be downloaded. Click in the “Download only item description for items larger the xKB� check box and enter a number in the box.

It sounds complicated but it’s not really, just long winded.

Alan
Ciapolin

Post by Ciapolin »

Thanks Alan.

I have Outlook Express 6, which of course is different! However, thanks to your suggestions, I have managed to find the place to amend it.

Under 'Tools', select 'Message Rules' and then 'mail'.

Then select 'new rule' and work through the options and set the size limit.

Hopefully this will work!
Carole-Anne
Cascina Ciapolin