Do you invite criticism?

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
teapot

Do you invite criticism?

Post by teapot »

We like to ask our guests via email usually if they enjoyed their stay and if they have any needs we didn't meet or suggestions they would like to make.

The results have been positive and minor changes adopted where we can. Blackout blinds on windows were our first requests.
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

No I don't invite criticism but I ask for feedback. :wink:

I have a guest book on site, a second book to report breakages, faults etc and I send an email on their return. The only recent request I has was for tea and coffee which I don't offer and also for tea towels. All valid requests but they know before they go that I don't provide them!
teapot

Post by teapot »

Doesn't asking for feedback invite criticism? :lol:

Salt and pepper grinders are this years must haves :wink: apparently one of the most frequently forgotten items on the guests shopping list. happy to oblige of course
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

I leave a 'questionnaire' for guests to fill in but some will also make comments in the Visitors' Book. The odd guest leaves a little note for me.

The first comment we ever had was that the kitchen was "poorly equipped" because it didn't have a salad spinner ....
teapot

Post by teapot »

Simple enough to rectify, I usually smirk at little comments like that but always comply with a little wish for another piece of kitchen paraphernalia.

We had one couple who were ........from the start, they couldn't find the house but they are the only ones in 8 years who didn't follow the written instructions and preferred to say the road didn't exist :roll: They wanted instructions for the microwave, it's the most basic variety Power turn knob, minutes turn knob.

They rewarded us by taking our Chateau guides home.

But they are the only ones we have had (sitting with crossed fingers and toes)
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

Nemo wrote: I have a guest book on site, a second book to report breakages, faults etc and I send an email on their return.
Ditto to Nemo's comment.

I don't invite feedback (except to have a note in the visitor's book that if they feel like it, a review on any one of various sites is much appreciated). I don't ask for a critique either! But I am on site and I see them from time to time in passing (and on leaving) and I do ask them if everything is OK and if they are 'missing' anything (eg. foreign adaptors, which tend to go walkabout). That would be their opportunity to say "the cottage really needs....". After reading recent posts, I realised the cottage didn't have that all important egg slicer. I think I now have every kitchen implement ever invented, including a pizza cutter which was not used in the whole of its first year of existence (I left it on its card as a test).
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

GillianF wrote:
The first comment we ever had was that the kitchen was "poorly equipped" because it didn't have a salad spinner ....
:shock: Had the exact same comment last week. I have absolutely no more space to put something so big.
Normandie

Post by Normandie »

GillianF wrote:The first comment we ever had was that the kitchen was "poorly equipped" because it didn't have a salad spinner ....
:lol: I have some sympathy with that observation, though, because the salads in French markets are so wonderful our salad spinner is rarely put away during summer.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

I have a salad spinner, but no egg slicer, so you can have lovely spun salad but no sliced egg to go with it. I have yet to be marked down for this, but I can surely expect it to happen at some stage :mrgreen: I tend to get constructive comments from guests via email but the reviews they leave online and in the guest book are always 100% positive. Blackout blinds/curtains in the master bedroom were requested but I have yet to address this :oops:
teapot

Post by teapot »

What's wrong with a tea towel and spinning that? The washing machine has 1400 rpm would that do :lol:
RichardHenshall

Post by RichardHenshall »

FelicityA wrote:... I think I now have every kitchen implement ever invented, including a pizza cutter which was not used in the whole of its first year of existence (I left it on its card as a test).
But did you have the implement that you need to extract other implements from their packaging? :D
tchn

Post by tchn »

We leave a 'feedback' form, which I adapted from one a kind LMHer sent me. Amongst questions that lead to positive responses, we ask whether anything needs repair (I think guests tend to just say no for fear that we might blame them, which is unfortunate and means things go unnoticed) and whether anything would have made their stay more enjoyable. Those who fill these out well have provided some very helpful advice (and some crazy ideas), and if they do, I tend to follow up with an email thanking them and saying what we are doing about it. As we are remote, there is an automatic cooling off period in that we only collect the forms every couple of months.

So far it has meant that reviews have not been filled with trivial matters, but I have no confidence that will remain that way!
teapot

Post by teapot »

We were glad we carried out some of the requests. We took bookings for a few people who have married since they stayed or simply booked under a different persons name. It's only afterwards we find out they had been guests before and remarks like thank you x or y item come up when we have often forgotten about such things.
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

Re the salad spinner, it appears that it is a French requirement (poss law?) for self catering properties to have a salad spinner, a vacuum cleaner, an iron and ironing board... but bizarrely only 2 rings to cook on and no oven :shock:
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Casscat wrote:I have a salad spinner, but no egg slicer, so you can have lovely spun salad but no sliced egg to go with it. :oops:
Well, I have an egg slicer - but no salad spinner. Sigh, guess that has to go on the shopping list now ...

At least it is now possible to buy those collapsible metal mesh ones, for those with storage limitations :D - but yet another item to have to check for cleanliness on changeover, sigh :shock: :D
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!