Do you invite criticism?

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I had some IKEA ones that didn't seem to survive the dishwasher too well. Brought them back to the UK, where I still have all of them , 5 years later. Meanwhile, the 6 I bought in a French supermarket have all survived intact. Shorter stems.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Seems like I better buy some then. Trouble is it just takes up more cupboard space in the kitchen. How about if I keep them elsewhere and say 'champagne flutes available upon request'? I can't imagine they would get used that often.
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Bunny wrote: How about if I keep them elsewhere and say 'champagne flutes available upon request'? I can't imagine they would get used that often.
I understand what you mean, but if your guests decide spur of the moment to invest in some bubbly on the way back to your holiday accommodation, then they won't be keen to wait till you arrive with flutes in hand. After all, if he's trying to be romantic and woo her............ "just hang on till I get hold of some flutes" sort of ruins the moment :oops: :lol: :lol:
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
tavi

Post by tavi »

yes, I supply flutes (shortish stem ones). No idea how often they're used but I like the idea that they give of a properly equipped kitchen(ette). No oven but definitely champagne flutes :)

I just did a restock of the glass cupboard on last changeover and moved the water glasses onto the shelf with teamugs etc.. can you have a rethink of your glass cupboard?

Now off to put vegetable steamer on my shopping list.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Ho hum, it's a balance between being really well equipped and compromising on food storage space. I already supply 10 wine glasses so another 10 flutes is going to take up a lot more space. I hadn't really considered spur of the moment champagne. I do get people coming for celebrations, so I assumed they would know in advance that they planned to need them and could just ask. Perhaps I'll just put them in the cottage then. From what I've seen, a lot of people don't put their food away in the cupboards anyway and leave a lot of it piled up on the work surfaces.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

It is a pain Bunny....but I do supply wine glasses (non stem ones), beer/long drink glasses, whiskey type glasses and cava/champagne glasses.
Prosecco is a popular drink now, so I think flutes are now becoming a must have.

I have a whole cupboard filled with glasses and it is a pain because we have hard water and very few guests seem to adhere to our advice to top the dishwasher up every wash with rinse aid and salt :cry: so I spend hours washing the damn things or rinsing with vinegar :roll:

Mousie
p.s. I have been asked for schnapps glasses and also sherry glasses but I draw a line at those
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Orsonthecat

Post by Orsonthecat »

How many people provide kitchen scales? I currently don't but keep thinking I ought to in case someone wants to make something from a recipe book (I do provide a couple of nice looking recipe books). It's down to space really as others have said, it means less food space for guests.
So much to learn....so little time!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I have kitchen scales. They are digital metal ones, and hang on my magnetic knife rack.
mi casa

Post by mi casa »

We supply all types, wine, flutes, beer and water/juice. We have a lot of cupboard space so are lucky. We buy them in the local supermarket and they are not expensive. We leave enough of each to cater for 10 and leave plenty of spares so our Manager can replace if any get broken. It's just a thing I have about having loads of glasses,crockery, pots, pans and cutlery. Also evertime I visit I buy more clothes hangers and really have too many at this stage. I always hate when renting to find two hangers in the wardrobes.

No egg slicer or salad spinner but nobody ever asked for these. I don't use a salad spinner myself as I always buy bags of washed rocket leaves. Lazy I know!
Would love to retire but can't so will have to keep doing the lottery!
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Definitely don't supply scales. I wouldn't even contemplate doing any sort of cooking that required scales on holiday, but then again, I don't bake or cook much at home either. I haven't got the patience for anything that requires measuring. Whenever I've done self catering I've mainly just eaten breakfast in the cottage but eaten out for all other meals. I'm always amazed at how much cooking goes on in my cottages.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I have champagne flutes and wine glasses. One year when catering for a French group I had to supply another set of wine glasses because they wanted a glass for red, a glass for white in addition to the champagne flutes. So 36 'wine' glasses in total (house sleeps 12). Plus a few additional in case of breakage. They also insisted on a pressure cooker.
Orsonthecat

Post by Orsonthecat »

Bunny at Christmas our guests asked for a rolling pin - the cottage since has one - as she wanted to make some pasta. :roll: I don't know how she did it without scales but then I've never made fresh pasta!
So much to learn....so little time!
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Orsonthecat wrote:Bunny at Christmas our guests asked for a rolling pin - the cottage since has one - as she wanted to make some pasta. :roll: I don't know how she did it without scales but then I've never made fresh pasta!
Rolling pin! :shock: What are these mad people doing? Not my idea of a holiday.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Bunny wrote:Seems like I better buy some then. Trouble is it just takes up more cupboard space in the kitchen. How about if I keep them elsewhere and say 'champagne flutes available upon request'? I can't imagine they would get used that often.
I have a stack of them in Spain - cava country :D
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

On the subject of glasses, I have a sideboard in the dining room which houses most of the glassware (and that includes every glass known to mankind from pint glasses to shot glasses...) but in the kitchen there are wine and champagne glasses lack of storage space means everything else lives in the sideboard. One guest emailed me after their stay to say that they wished there had been some tumblers or juice glasses, which made me realise that they must have spent a week decanting juice into a wine glass for their four year old. But hey, at least he could amuse himself with the salad spinner!