Low memory messages in Windows 8

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
La Chouette

Low memory messages in Windows 8

Post by La Chouette »

In the last couple of days I've been getting Microsoft Windows warnings telling me "Your computer is low on memory - to restore enough memory for programmes to work correctly, save your files then close or restart all open programmes"

Normally I've been able to have Windows Live Mail & Open Office (plus other stuff!) open while surfing the web in Firefox, with no problems at all but now it seems to send this message when I've only got 1 tab on FF open and WLM. More often than not FF crashes just after this message if I close the message.

I haven't installed anything new. Does anyone skilled in the art of understanding the ways of the computer have any ideas what's going on, or what I may have done to cause this?

Thanks in anticipation,
Jan
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Do a Ctrl-Alt_del and start the Task Manager. Click on the processes and order by memory usage to find what is using so much.
La Chouette

Post by La Chouette »

Thanks Kevin.

I've only got FF with 4 tabs open and according to Task Manager 73% of memory is being used with FF using244MB, followed by Dropbox at 66MB, then a few things between 20 & 30MB and loads of stuff at less than 10MB.

Hope this means more to you than me :?

Jan
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

La Chouette wrote:Thanks Kevin.

I've only got FF with 4 tabs open and according to Task Manager 73% of memory is being used with FF using244MB, followed by Dropbox at 66MB, then a few things between 20 & 30MB and loads of stuff at less than 10MB.

Hope this means more to you than me :?

Jan
I assume you mean 73% of cpu, which is not normal. 244MB for memory sounds ok with 4 tabs. I am Win7 here so maybe the Task Manager is slightly different.

I would wait until you see the message and then look.

If you have 73% cpu with Firefox, then there's a problem. You can select the Firefox process and end if but if it's always FF where the problem lies then it could be a plugin problem.
La Chouette

Post by La Chouette »

Thanks for your reply Kevin.After I'd posted I decided to restart the PC and Windows updated itself, and so far so good....I haven't had the low memory message again.

If the message pops up again, I'll open TM and look again.

Thanks for your help.
Jan