Surcharge for cheque payment?

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
oasiscouple

Post by oasiscouple »

French Cricket wrote:No.

This is France :lol:
In 30 years I have always sent cheques by post together with a paying in slip unless I happen to be going into town and can easily go to the bank. I have never had a problem and sign the cheque on the back before sending as required.
Honi soit qui peu y boit
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

oasiscouple wrote:
French Cricket wrote:No.

This is France :lol:
In 30 years I have always sent cheques by post together with a paying in slip unless I happen to be going into town and can easily go to the bank. I have never had a problem and sign the cheque on the back before sending as required.

Okay - I revise what I said originally: this is the Ariège!

We've only just moved on from writing cheques with quills :lol:. In the supermarket, I'm probably the only person in the entire department who doesn't write a cheque.

My bank - SocGen - is reputedly going to start making monthly charges for holding a current account next year, at which point I shall make an excuse and leave for one of the internet banks.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

GillianF wrote:What 'charges' do you incur for paying in a cheque at your bank?
It's a Business account. They even make a charge if they smile at you when you go in.

Interesting thoughts - thanks all.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Currently it doesn't cost me in charges to accept a cheque. I live in a town so it's a couple of miles to my bank so it's not a big deal to get there. Lots of my guests are older or just still wedded to cheques, so I'm happy to keep accepting them. If I was in a rural locality as you are GB, I'm sure I'd feel differently. I suspect most that post cheques have no idea how big a deal it is for you and others like FC to get to the bank to pay it in.

I've recently opened an account with the TSB that means I can also pay cheques in via the Post Office which is a help as I have a small one just a few hundred yards walk away.

If you have a post box nearby and nearer than any bank branch, then I'd use a postal account, simply post the cheque and then transfer the funds across to an account of my choice.

I think in your case it's not unreasonable to add a charge, perhaps with an explanation that it simply contributes to the time and cost of petrol to go and pay it in.
vacancesthezan

Post by vacancesthezan »

French Cricket wrote:No answer either, GB, but the same grouse.

I have a deposit cheque sitting on my desk that arrived over two weeks ago - a French cheque sent from the UK! - that won't be paid in until I can get to the town where my branch is during working hours. That's a round trip of 30km, in hours when I'm supposed to be working ... it really doesn't make sense :?
Our bank is in the next village so less of a problem. However still no out of hours banking of cheques. We just fill in the slip and put it in their envelope and then post it through their letterbox.

Would never accept a UK cheque after we had one bounce on us (several years ago before internet banking was really popular). Caused lots of hassle until we got the Gendarmes involved - bouncing a cheque is illegal in France!
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

We accept cheques if the booking is more than 2 weeks away. However, my bank has just announced that they'll be closing my local branch in the summer. I can pay in via the post office, which I pass most days but it takes longer for the money to reach my account. I guess we'll start saying cheques only if more than 3 weeks away when the branch closes.

I'm always surprised at how many people still keep sending cheques. I thought they would have died out by now. I suspect that many people aren't comfortable with bank transfers and we haven't got credit card payments sorted out yet.

As for paying a surcharge for cheques - as a guest I wouldn't like it. How about not mentioning cheques and keep it as a last resort only for those who ask for it? That's what we do with PayPal.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth

Re: Surcharge for cheque payment?

Post by Guest »

:?:
Last edited by Guest on Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

7 Aspire wrote:
greenbarn wrote:...how do I dissuade people further from sending these paper relics?
Don't accept them at all.

In this day and age, is any guest, having decided they want to book a particular property, then going to change their minds just because one doesn't accept cheques?
Possibly. I've just had an older guest not only insist on paying by cheque in the post, they also wanted to hand deliver the rental agreement separately when they were next in the area in 6 weeks time. Despite them finding me on the internet they were just not prepared to even try to complete my simple on line booking form. So I had to post them a booking form and just wait.... I wouldn't have agreed if the booking had not been for weeks away. When I tried to explain how easy my booking form was to complete she just cut me off and said "oh no, I couldn't possibly do that" :roll:
edinburgh

Post by edinburgh »

Bunny wrote: I've just had an older guest not only insist on paying by cheque in the post, they also wanted to hand deliver the rental agreement separately when they were next in the area in 6 weeks time. Despite them finding me on the internet they were just not prepared to even try to complete my simple on line booking form. So I had to post them a booking form and just wait.... I wouldn't have agreed if the booking had not been for weeks away. When I tried to explain how easy my booking form was to complete she just cut me off and said "oh no, I couldn't possibly do that" :roll:
You're a nicer person than me. I'd have told them to find another place.

It just smells like trouble. But then I'm grouchy and intolerant.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

edinburgh wrote:
Bunny wrote: I've just had an older guest not only insist on paying by cheque in the post, they also wanted to hand deliver the rental agreement separately when they were next in the area in 6 weeks time. Despite them finding me on the internet they were just not prepared to even try to complete my simple on line booking form. So I had to post them a booking form and just wait.... I wouldn't have agreed if the booking had not been for weeks away. When I tried to explain how easy my booking form was to complete she just cut me off and said "oh no, I couldn't possibly do that" :roll:
You're a nicer person than me. I'd have told them to find another place.

It just smells like trouble. But then I'm grouchy and intolerant.
She even suggested that if I wanted the rental agreement any sooner I could take it to her daughter to complete who worked in the village! When I, in turn, suggested her daughter could complete the on line booking form for her she said "oh no, she's far too busy; I couldn't possibly ask her to do that" :o

Don't worry I'm fully bracing myself!
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Bunny wrote:I've just had an older guest not only insist on paying by cheque in the post, they also wanted to hand deliver the rental agreement separately when they were next in the area in 6 weeks time. Despite them finding me on the internet they were just not prepared to even try to complete my simple on line booking form. So I had to post them a booking form and just wait.... I wouldn't have agreed if the booking had not been for weeks away. When I tried to explain how easy my booking form was to complete she just cut me off and said "oh no, I couldn't possibly do that" :roll:
I think it's question of knowing your market and that sounds familiar Bunny. :wink: I had to create a paper booking form for the latest property as there are always the odd few that won't do it online. I had to post one out recently and it was being returned with a cheque. It didn't arrive, had to chase it, it still didn't arrive. Just when I was pondering what to do (as this was a regular guest of many years) she rang me to say she'd been ill and hadn't been able to get to the post!

For me it's all part of the service I offer and I'm happy to do it. Providing a very personal service gets me lovely returning guests and good feedback. All we can ever do is what feels right for us and our market.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Cheques are a PITA but they are getting fewer and fewer thankfully. All my UK guests (and international guests) pay online via Payboxmail - it is only some French guests who still insist on paying by cheque. ANd more and more of them are coming around to paying on line. It isn't a huge hassle for me paying in cheques as I have to go into the town to take the kids to school every day anyway (it is only 5 mins drive away, I couldn't handle being further away from the nearest bakery than that).
I don't think you can charge people extra, just don't advertise that you accept them and try and encourage them to pay in another way.
edinburgh

Post by edinburgh »

Has anyone else had the classic "I refuse to type my credit card details into the Internet, but I am happy to phone you and read them over the phone" ?

"Not a problem Sir" *loads the same website they'd use to provide card details* "the long card number when you're ready"
Normandie

Post by Normandie »

I had a cheque for payment of a deposit yesterday. From guests in the Channel Islands who have a French € a/c. The dates are some way away and as it is a FR a/c, I'm not bothered - well other than they've spelled my name slightly wrongly - but yes, despite the fact I offered PayPal and bank transfers in euro or GBP, some people still like to post cheques.

Although, it is worth noting that they didn't say they were going to post a cheque, the cheque arrived 12 days after their enquiry and I did not (as I said in writing at the time) reserve their dates, it could have gone wrong for them.

Other than a bit of time at the bank, there is no cost to me to pay in this cheque but if there were charges, I would pass them on. If it was really inconvenient for me and I wanted to disuade cheques, I would apply a surcharge and that would be stated in all communications. Or I'd just say bluntly "We do not accept cheques in any currency for the payment of deposits and balances".

If you don't want cheques, take the bull by the horns and forbid them.
Last edited by Normandie on Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

:?:
Last edited by Guest on Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.