Last Minute Early Check In Request .... Again

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
ianthy

Last Minute Early Check In Request .... Again

Post by ianthy »

Hi

I seem to getting more and more guests that simply do not check their flight arrival times. Our check in time is 2pm and check out is 12 noon. I can be a little flexible by a hour or so but last few guests arrived 5 am and 8 am.

As the requests usually come a few days before arrival - it involves a lot of running around, changing meet and greet with our local property manager etc.,

I keep stressing this point in comms to guests but it does not seem to be getting thru. I would welcome ideas of how to reduce these incidences.

Thanks for reading and your advice.

[/list]
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Offer them a guaranteed early check-in or guaranteed late check-out when they book - at a rate high enough to cover your hassle factor, but lower than your cheapest rate for 1 night (i.e. if your cheapest rate minimum stay is 3 nights for €90, then 1 night = €30 so offer the guaranteed check-in/out at, say, €25), a bargain for them and you book out another night so less hassle with changeovers.

If they don't take up your offer on booking, but give you early arrival/late departure times before they actually arrive, you can either stick to your advertised check-in/out times or (if it's still possible) tell them they can arrive early/leave late for the extra fee.
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
Cassis

Post by Cassis »

I agree with PW - and your times are already remarkably accommodating!

If you really want to be even more flexible but feel you and/or your manager are being "put on" (checking in at 5am and 8am is taking the micky in anyone's book, regardless of the guests' daft travel arrangements) then I would go down the route of "earlier check in may be possible, but only by prior agreement 48 hours in advance and at a fee that my manager will be happy to get out of bed for."
Real name Phil
Moved to France in 2004
Likes ducks, nature, gardening, furniture restoration, DIY, rugby, blah, blah.
ianthy

Post by ianthy »

Thanks both - I agree the check in and check out times are generous - possibly too generous.

I have amended to check in remains at 2 pm and check out 11 am. Plus £100 for either late check out or earlier check in. An hour either way no worries but guests that suddenly realise that they are arriving at 5.30 am! Sorry these last minute changes are just too disruptive.
Last edited by ianthy on Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I can understand...we are getting this more and more. It isn't always the fault of the guest as it depends on what the flight companies are doing.

One of the services we offer for free is bag drop and/or storage and late collection.
Of course we are on site so it makes it easier but for those who don't hire a car this is a lifesaver as they don't have to trail around for hours with their cases.
If you can't offer this then maybe there is someone who offers this service? We have a couple of companies who do it.
For very late flights I also have a list of places they can go with a shower or pool they can use all day. With families I give them suggestions where the kids can be entertained (like the tourist train).
I have even negotiated a 'day rate' with a local hotel for those who have no choice but to fly at midnigh'tish (Northern Ireland flights for example)

They all help to ward off the 'can we get in at 10am' / leave at 11pm request. People just don't understand what is involved with back to back bookings.

We do try and get people in asap...and often shave a couple of hours of the check in time...but I always say that the usual service may be compromised i.e. I might have missed something. Every one is appreciative - especially when there are young children involved that have been up since 'daft o clock' for the flight.

Mouse
x
p.s. we also say on our advert that arrival/departure can't be changed but we do offer free bag drop/storage
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
ianthy

Post by ianthy »

Thks Mouse

Unfortunately, for security reasons we can not allow guests to drop bags at our apt building. Yesterday I also checked out a couple of bag drop options for guests - to be honest if they pay those rates they may as well pay for an early check in... assuming it is still available.

I don't want to be difficult with guests but contacting day before arrival with 8 am arrivals is not on. Our housekeeping team try to be flexible but these last min changes create more opportunity for something to be missed.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Yes I understand ianthy. People should appreciate it is similar to a hotel, where many don't allow check in until the afternoon no matter what time you turn up. For some reason it is expected that as owners we will work a miracle.

One thing I always do, is ask for the flight details when I request the final balance. This helps me on Changeover day as I always check the flight is on time, but it can also help to see what their arrival time is. That might help you prompt them if they don't prompt you.

If you can offer the early/late check in/out service and charge to cover the hassle then I am sure it will be welcomed by your guests.
We are back to back and our cleaning time can't be moved so we have no choice.

Mouse
x
rammy100

Post by rammy100 »

I have the same approach as Mouse in that I ask for flight arrival and departure details at least a month in advance of guests checking in to allow me to follow flights in real-time online on the arrival day.

This has also given me the chance to plan, avoid any surprises and address any awkward arrival/departure times to see how I can best accommodate them.

Have you considered charging an extra nights accommodation if someone wants a really early arrival or late departure time? I just think that might be more easily digested than what may be taken as a punative £100 surcharge for an early arrival when there is no control over flight times. I'm not sure whether that will work for you but it might be worth considering.
Here we go again........
ianthy

Post by ianthy »

rammy100 wrote:I have the same approach as Mouse in that I ask for flight arrival and departure details at least a month in advance of guests checking in to allow me to follow flights in real-time online on the arrival day.

This has also given me the chance to plan, avoid any surprises and address any awkward arrival/departure times to see how I can best accommodate them.

Have you considered charging an extra nights accommodation if someone wants a really early arrival or late departure time? I just think that might be more easily digested than what may be taken as a punative £100 surcharge for an early arrival when there is no control over flight times. I'm not sure whether that will work for you but it might be worth considering.
Hi Rammy

Thanks - my thinking was that £100 - 150 max would be acceptable for a guaranteed early check in/late check out. I do take your point for really early arrivals - I have had a few at 3 am! There has to be a cut off point that means it's a full day extra charge. I think the following could work;-

Normal check in is 2 pm
for check in's from 8 am a charge of £150 the charge applies.
for any time before this full appropriate day rate

Normal check out is 11 am.
for check out's up to 3 pm a charge of £150 applies.
for check outs after 3 pm the full appropriate day rate applies

I can also confirm locations for bag drops for early/late arrivals then guests can decide which option best suits.

I welcome feedback on the above.

Thanks all.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

If I was planning to arrive somewhere at 5am, I would expect my booking to include that night so I could just fall into bed on arrival.
I wouldn't really want to be hanging around for hours in the middle of the night, but nor would I expect to get the room for nothing.
rammy100

Post by rammy100 »

I expect that because you are in Dubai you are subject to a lot of early arrivals/late departures so understand the problem. I've transited many times in the Middle East at silly o'clock on the way to/from Oz or the Far East. Dubai is a busy airport throughout the night.

I actually thought £100 was a lot but I have just found your website and see your rates are in a higher bracket than I was expecting. So, having re-evaluated my thoughts, I consider £100-£150 to be completely reasonable.

And yes, I think an arrival time before 3am merits a full night's charge although I expect you will have one or two people hanging on until 3.05!
Here we go again........
ianthy

Post by ianthy »

rammy100 wrote:I expect that because you are in Dubai you are subject to a lot of early arrivals/late departures so understand the problem. I've transited many times in the Middle East at silly o'clock on the way to/from Oz or the Far East. Dubai is a busy airport throughout the night.

I actually thought £100 was a lot but I have just found your website and see your rates are in a higher bracket than I was expecting. So, having re-evaluated my thoughts, I consider £100-£150 to be completely reasonable.

And yes, I think an arrival time before 3 am merits a full night's charge although I expect you will have one or two people hanging on until 3.05!
Hi

On reflection I think the cost of £150 is reasonable. Based on leaving luggage at Dubai Mall across 6 guests with 2 cases each the cost is £150.00. Dubai airport is £160 inclu onward delivery to your hotel/apt based on max time of 12 hours.

Thanks again for the feedback.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

yes I agree with rammy...it is reasonable.
If I was planning to arrive somewhere at 5am, I would expect my booking to include that night so I could just fall into bed on arrival.
I wouldn't really want to be hanging around for hours in the middle of the night, but nor would I expect to get the room for nothing.
Ah but you are sensible Helen! I can't tell you how many young people I have had who book the cheapest flight that arrives at daft o' clock on the Saturday morning and ask how early they can arrive at the villa (and they are looking for me to say 9am or earlier!)

Or alternatively fly home at 2am and expect to stay later than 10am in the villa.

This happened with a group of girls only last year and I put them in my friends empty villa, FOC, for the day. They were very grateful but I told them that they were extremely lucky as 99% of villa owners wouldn't or couldn't do that...and to think on next time they were choosing flights.

Mousie
x