UK driving Licence changes

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
teapot

UK driving Licence changes

Post by teapot »

It seems that from June 2015 the UK, counterpart (the paper bit) will no longer be valid, so you may find yourself with no valid licence especially if you are trying to hire a car and need to prove no driving suspension etc

Any older paper versions (pre photo card licence) will remain in force.

The details are here. https://www.gov.uk/government/news/driv ... ce-changes

Could seriously ruin a guests holiday if they don't know.
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I have both the card and the paper licence, but had known for a long time that the paper part on it's on was frankly irrelevant. The critical part was always the photocard as without it car hire companies wouldn't hire to me anyway.

Now at least we don't need the bit of paper hanging around. It's only been of use to show as proof of address to various companies!
teapot

Post by teapot »

To a point Nemo, but the card on it's own doesn't have the points/penalties should you have any as they couldn't be added to the card at the time (so the Gov) website says so now you have to print off the sheet of good behavior before going on holiday or hiring a car and take it with you. Can see problems for those that don't and very irate guests wanting compensation as the holiday was ruined etc.
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I see what you mean. From the gov.uk website (link as you've posted above)
The service will allow you to download a summary of your licence record which can be printed or shared.

Alternatively you can call DVLA and leave permission for your driving record to be checked verbally by a nominated person/organisation.
So in theory you could call them if you're on the spot, assuming it's in working hours.

If you need to do this one wonders why they're abolishing it then!
teapot

Post by teapot »

It may mean anyone with a bad driving record but with any desk top publishing software can falsify the record and carry it to the hire company?
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Am I wrong in thinking that most other countries have only had a photocard for decades. The paper part was peculiarly British and essentially a Neo Georgian relic.

I have rented cars in USA, Europe, New Zealand, South Africa and from memory I have never needed the paper part, so what is the issue?
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
other

Post by other »

. .
Last edited by other on Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

I only have the paper licence. My name is spelt wrongly - Phelicity - because evidently they didn't know how to spell in Swansea at the time.

I recently thought I had better change this, kill two birds with one stone, and get a new card photo licence (for the car hire reason abroad as I thought they would prefer a more recent looking one although nobody has ever questioned my paper version) and discovered that in order to do so I would have to send it off to the DVLA with my passport and that it could take up to six weeks!! I don't hold a British passport, but an Irish one, so I am officially an alien apparently, so can't get a passport check over at the post office.

I can't ever be without my passport because I go at least once a month, if not more to Ireland and I have two children and two grandchildren who live abroad and might need me in an emergency. I asked if I could drive to Wales and do it over the counter.....but NO was the answer. I am completely stuck!
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

FelicityA - bureaucracy at it's best. Don't you just love it! Some people don't have a passport so there must be a way round it but whoever you asked didn't know how. Easier to say no than try and find out no doubt!
teapot

Post by teapot »

e-richard wrote:Am I wrong in thinking that most other countries have only had a photocard for decades. The paper part was peculiarly British and essentially a Neo Georgian relic.

I have rented cars in USA, Europe, New Zealand, South Africa and from memory I have never needed the paper part, so what is the issue?
Yes it was laughable when the plastic came out you had to carry the paper one with you (Only Britain :roll: ) But having never hired with just the plastic portion I wondered how you'd get on?
teapot

Post by teapot »

FelicityA wrote:I only have the paper licence. My name is spelt wrongly - Phelicity - because evidently they didn't know how to spell in Swansea at the time.

I recently thought I had better change this, kill two birds with one stone, and get a new card photo licence (for the car hire reason abroad as I thought they would prefer a more recent looking one although nobody has ever questioned my paper version) and discovered that in order to do so I would have to send it off to the DVLA with my passport and that it could take up to six weeks!! I don't hold a British passport, but an Irish one, so I am officially an alien apparently, so can't get a passport check over at the post office.

I can't ever be without my passport because I go at least once a month, if not more to Ireland and I have two children and two grandchildren who live abroad and might need me in an emergency. I asked if I could drive to Wales and do it over the counter.....but NO was the answer. I am completely stuck!
whilst I am sure it could I did this for friends recently and it was only 7 days, maybe that's a record? Can you not produce the document to the staff at one of the local DVLA vehicle licensing offices assuming they still exist?
Essar

Post by Essar »

FelicityA wrote:I only have the paper licence. My name is spelt wrongly - Phelicity - because evidently they didn't know how to spell in Swansea at the time.
Why do you think so many Americans have very odd surnames? Because all the immigrants going through Ellis Island had their names mispelt by the officials who couldn't understand them. Most of which were from Swansea too! :lol:
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

teapot wrote:
whilst I am sure it could I did this for friends recently and it was only 7 days, maybe that's a record? Can you not produce the document to the staff at one of the local DVLA vehicle licensing offices assuming they still exist?[/quote]

I think it is all centralised, but I will check. I don't even like being without it for 7 days, and they did tell me "up to six weeks" - just to cover themselves I suppose.
CSE

Post by CSE »

welcome to the real world. Sorry meant the UK is at last getting in line with the rest of the EU on this one. :D
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
edinburgh

Post by edinburgh »

I've always found the counterpart strange.

It doesn't "prove" anything. It's not uncommon for drivers to "lose" their license and pay for a replacement, so that they have a "clean" counterpart for when required.