Departure Procedures

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Bunny

Departure Procedures

Post by Bunny »

Just had another set a guests leave half an hour late which I wasn't happy about but I assumed they were busy leaving the cottage spick and span. So I was dismayed to discover that they had literally got up and gone and done absolutely none of the checkout procedures as detailed in the welcome brochure, all of which delayed me by over an hour and seriously impacted on my changeover timeframe. Just the usual stuff like didn't empty bins, didn't strip beds, dishwasher full, furniture moved and not put back etc, etc. Prior to arrival I email lots of info/instructions on the cottage (not that they took any notice of that either) but I don't email the checkout procedures. Do others email their check out procedures? It seems a bit inappropriate before they have even arrived but just how do you get people to read stuff? I know they at least read some of it because they all manage to find the internet password. Maybe I should hide/embed the internet password into the checkout procedures.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Because my guests have flight times to adhere to they don't tend to depart later than anticipated and I don't have official check out procedures to speak of. I kind of rely upon people not to leave the place in a complete mess but my property managers tell me that pretty much everyone departs without emptying the bins. All refuse has to be taken by car to the nearest waste collection area and guests will pass one on the main road as they head towards the airport so it's no big deal to take the rubbish with them but they never do. Probably the biggest job for my caretakers in the summer is cleaning the barbie - it is always utterly filthy.
tavi

Post by tavi »

If they're using the internet whilst staying, they're prob checking their emails too? Could you email them a reminder of check-out procedures, disguised as a "hope you are having/had a fab stay" 24/48 hours before they depart?

Do you take a damage deposit?
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

tavi wrote:If they're using the internet whilst staying, they're prob checking their emails too? Could you email them a reminder of check-out procedures, disguised as a "hope you are having/had a fab stay" 24/48 hours before they depart?

Do you take a damage deposit?
Hum, could do, but could it offend those who had read it in the brochure and had every intention of complying? Being on site, I'm very wary of not wanting to come across as nagging or making it seem like I'm assuming that they are not going to observe my house rules. The majority do leave on time but I have lots who just get up and go.

I do take a damage deposit, and although often tempted, it would take a lot to make me use it. Not because it wouldn't be justified but because the money involved wouldn't be worth the publicity of a bad review. And what better way of prompting a review! Although I often wonder if some can't believe their luck when their get their full deposit back.
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

I think its part of modern day life. Some people don't think of staying in private accommodation as any different to staying in a hotel, their checkout procedure is to ensure they haven't left anything behind and close the door. Luckily the vast majority of guests have more respect, but you always come across those that don't.

And you're right Casscat, the barbie are the worst things at one stage last year I thought about getting spare ones so they could be cleaned without impacting on the changeover window. The problem is, if the new arrivals see you cleaning the bbq when they arrive they think its alright to leave it in a mess.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Dusty wrote:their checkout procedure is to ensure they haven't left anything behind and close the door.
These people couldn't even manage that. By chance, I went to the dustbins on their third day and discovered they had all gone out and left the front door wide open. Their front door is not visible from my house but is in full view of the road, so it was lucky I spotted it. I did tell them what they had done and I didn't even get an apology!
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

By chance, I went to the dustbins on their third day and discovered they had all gone out and left the front door wide open
:roll: We have had that too. It's amazing how many people default from normal (necessary) activities they do when at home.

Bunny I have them in the welcome brochure/house info too but always used to leave another copy of departure instructions after our mid week clean...and that helped focus their attention. I stopped the mid week clean last year so I called round quickly on the Friday to talk them through departure.

Given you have short breaks...and so calling round might not be appropriate, then I would talk them through it as the last thing on the meet n greet. Or send a quick text the afternoon before they depart. Or both.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Yes, I think I need to man up a bit and spell it out to them at the end of meet and greet, although I'm not quite sure how to tactfully word it. I try to keep it brief because I find they just glaze over and even then are not really listening to anything I say. I expect they just want to use the loo and put the kettle on!

My T&Cs just say that the cottage has to be left in the same clean and tidy condition as they found it. Maybe I should detail the check out procedures in the T&Cs. Could it be that people object to being asked to empty the bins etc, when it wasn't specified before booking? Although, I thought such things were generally accepted as common practice with rentals.

Post by Guest »

:?:
Last edited by Guest on Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Like that idea Aspire and how you've written it. It spells out your perfectly reasonable expectations but without sounding draconian. I email information for once they are in the cottage and driving directions but nothing actually called 'Arrival Instructions'. I think I will incorporate it into my Directions document and write something similar to what you have written. That way I can also remind people of their chosen arrival time etc. Hope you don't mind if I use some of your text as a basis. :D
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

In the back of our house information book I have a 'Before You Leave' page which starts by reminding them to check the drawers, the pool area and the washing machine for any of their belongings and then goes on to explain what I expect them to do in the way of cleaning which is very similar to Aspire's notes.

I then explain where they should leave the key and that someone will be at the house shortly after check-out time.

I take a damages deposit and our T&Cs include an 'optional' cleaning charge which they can incur if they really want to get up and go. I reserve the right to charge some or all of it if the house isn't left clean enough and it is hefty enough, I think, to encourage them to clean before they go.
teapot

Post by teapot »

Can I add a point to the discussion? What options do we leave our guests? please leave it clean and tidy or what, we feel slightly guilty about using some of their deposit as extra cleaning costs because it may cause a bad review or feeling.

I can't remember who or where but at some point this happened to an owner. They introduced a third option from the two above and said if you need to leave early for travel or simply prefer it we can do a clean up for you for €xx. Strange as it may sound this third option has been used on numerous occasions, the guests agree to it which is good and unlike finding the place not as we would like it generates a bit more income rather than more work for 0 income unless you deduct it from the deposit?

Our guests frequently have to leave quite early to make ferries and are generally ok. The rubbish sacks left behind is becoming the norm though, something we need to find a way round.
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Teapot, I tried that option a few years ago in my small sleeps 2 cottage. I had two tick boxes on the rental agreement. One was agreement to clean the cottage etc before departure and the other was agreement to pay a cleaning fee. Only one person ticked the box to pay the small fee. For all the others who committed to leave the cottage as they found it, the majority still failed to do so. Maybe I should try it again with my larger cottage which obviously has slightly different guest make up.
CarolineH

Post by CarolineH »

I also tried this a few years ago, the problem is that some people left with food still on their plates on the table ... I couldn't seem to find a happy medium. Now I say that I'm coming to inspect before they leave and most people leave it as I would expect.
GRL

Post by GRL »

This is what we offer guests and they tick the relevant box on the booking form for us to clean or them to clean:
Cleaning is not included. The gite should be left clean and tidy on departure, or, if required, final cleaning can be arranged at a cost of €40. In this case the gite should still be left tidy; everything should be put away and the washing up done. Untidiness will be invoiced for the cost of cleaning.

About 50% opt for us to do the cleaning and of those who don't most leave it tidy enough and only once have I retained the cleaning money from the security deposit when the place was filthy. They didn't complain.