How do I increase mid week bookings?

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Yes, some of us use PMP. Kev doesn't.
Alexis

Post by Alexis »

kevsboredagain wrote:
Alexis wrote:I notice most of you use Promote My Place for your websites.
Ermm no we don't :shock:

I'm at a loss to know why you name one of your places quirky apartment. Surely that puts people off?

Edinburgh has a lot going for it (I used to live there) and your website needs to contain some of that information to stand a chance of being found. That and prices of course.

How well do other apartments do there for holiday rentals? If better, what are they doing differently?
My comment regarding Promote My Place was just in relation to the people who had replied to my post which I believe was all but one.

As far as calling it quirky goes, it is quirky!
tavi

Post by tavi »

I think I'm quirky. I think your apartments are fab.

But I agree with the others - many people would move on if they can't see the prices... they might just assume like "if you have to ask the price you probably can't afford it".

I also use PMP and had a nice compliment from a recent booking who said how clear and easy to navigate it is.
Alexis

Post by Alexis »

tavi wrote:I think I'm quirky. I think your apartments are fab.
Haha, thanks, i'm pretty quirky too!

:lol:
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Kev, you do yourself no favours with your criticisms of PMP. Some of us may at some stage wish to move on from there but would probably not consider someone who has been so negative about our current choices.
Alexis

Post by Alexis »

HelenB wrote:Kev, you do yourself no favours with your criticisms of PMP. Some of us may at some stage wish to move on from there but would probably not consider someone who has been so negative about our current choices.
Thanks Helen, this is my first time here and I definitely sensed hostility in Kevs comment then I realised he runs a holiday rental web design company and it all became clear! I agree on putting off potential future customers... I'm put off.

Saying all that I've been really blown away that everyone has taken the time to answer my question and share their expertise with a noob! Thank you all!
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Hi Alexis, I'm with PMP too and very happy with it. I've actually got two websites but will soon ditch my original one in favour of the PMP one.

I've just been reading your FAQs. Could you lack of mid week or full weekly bookings be to do with the poor/costly parking arrangements during the week? I'm not sure how much discount you are offering but would it be better to say that you offer free parking at the NCP car park and swallow the cost instead of calling it a discount. I would be very put off by having to find a metered parking space and constantly having to return to top it up (presumably the meters have limited durations). Obviously this is not a problem for those that fly in so how many of your guests arrive by car?
Alexis

Post by Alexis »

Bunny wrote: I've just been reading your FAQs. Could you lack of mid week or full weekly bookings be to do with the poor/costly parking arrangements during the week? I'm not sure how much discount you are offering but would it be better to say that you offer free parking at the NCP car park and swallow the cost instead of calling it a discount. I would be very put off by having to find a metered parking space and constantly having to return to top it up (presumably the meters have limited durations). Obviously this is not a problem for those that fly in so how many of your guests arrive by car?
Thats a really good point Bunny. Parking in Edinburgh city centre is a real nightmare. I'll look into what other options I can offer. Thanks
other

Post by other »

. .
Last edited by other on Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alexis

Post by Alexis »

RuuElisa wrote:I'm not in Edinburgh, but was letting in an urban area. I found the vast majority of my midweek stays were from working / studying guests, often booking from Monday evening to Friday morning. If you think those are the people that would stay, you need to have some way to market to that. Perhaps a page on your site that offers "workday deals", highlights the proximity to transport and the city, mentions nearby supermarkets and restaurants (not tourist attractions) and shows off how someone could work or study in the apartments.

I personally LOVE your site feel and the decor :) I love quirky and fun stuff. But it seems as if business travellers like... practical. :? Photos of writing desks and bus stops and reading lamps.
Thanks Elisa, More great advice! I've got my website editor open as we speak and I'll create a page geared towards those working guests... and i'll be adding prices too of course!

Sometimes all it takes is fresh eyes... x
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

HelenB wrote:Kev, you do yourself no favours with your criticisms of PMP. Some of us may at some stage wish to move on from there but would probably not consider someone who has been so negative about our current choices.
kevsboredagain wrote:
PMP

For:
- Low startup cost, just £69 to get going
- No technical knowledge required to make a rental site based on their template. You chose the colors and the content and you'll be live in no time
- Their template has all the elements required for a standard rental site and works well
- All the content can be maintained by yourself
- No need to buy software, learn programming or pay for a designer
I'm sorry if you view that as criticism. It will be a sad day when people are no longer allowed to discuss the pros and cons of many different options, simply because of the large following of one particular solution on this forum.
JanB

Post by JanB »

Firstly, your apartments are amazing..... they certainly have that wow factor which set them far above the usual holiday let. Well done!

Have you considered Laterooms? I wouldn't normally suggest that site for holiday lets but as you are city based, I wonder if it would fill some last minute gaps for holiday makers as well as the business market. I used them for my previous business and it worked really well.

I like the way you describe the apartments as quirky and eclectic, that appeals to me very much and marks them as being different, unique.

I do agree prices are a must, even if just a guideline.
"It's a funny old world...." but full of the most amazing people. :-) Sense of humour essential!
annedab

Post by annedab »

"Quirky" is one of the words I almost always include at some point when searching for accommodation...... glad to hear it's not just me :lol:
Regards

Anne

If there's no such thing as co-incidence, then why is there a word for it?
lorca

Post by lorca »

Another vote for quirky

Personally I think origami towels shaped like swans are a bit quirky Kev (nothing wrong with that either ;) )
If not now, when?
kg1

Post by kg1 »

kevsboredagain wrote:
kevsboredagain wrote:
PMP

For:
- Low startup cost, just £69 to get going
- No technical knowledge required to make a rental site based on their template. You chose the colors and the content and you'll be live in no time
- Their template has all the elements required for a standard rental site and works well
- All the content can be maintained by yourself
- No need to buy software, learn programming or pay for a designer
I'm sorry if you view that as criticism. It will be a sad day when people are no longer allowed to discuss the pros and cons of many different options, simply because of the large following of one particular solution on this forum.
I am PMP as well - but in Kev's defence he has often generously tried to help LMHers with their IT problems, me in particular twice when I had problems. We all know he runs his own website business but I don't feel he is on LMH to promote it.