How do I increase mid week bookings?

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
tavi

Post by tavi »

also in Kev's defence, I wasn't aware that he sells websites. Which is surprising given how often I'm on here!

:)
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

+1 for quirky!

Parking in Edinburgh is a nightmare, isn't it, Alexis! We are going up there in a few days (we have a four-weeker in the cottage - bliss, no changeovers on the next 3 Saturdays, just the laundry) and my son lives in the West End. Fortunately he has a small flat in Leith with parking (he lets out the flat but the tenant does not need the car space) so we are going to leave our car there for the duration.

Generously 'giving' parking (but including it in the rent) would be considered a godsend for the car owners!
Alexis

Post by Alexis »

FelicityA wrote:+1 for quirky!

Parking in Edinburgh is a nightmare, isn't it, Alexis! We are going up there in a few days (we have a four-weeker in the cottage - bliss, no changeovers on the next 3 Saturdays, just the laundry) and my son lives in the West End. Fortunately he has a small flat in Leith with parking (he lets out the flat but the tenant does not need the car space) so we are going to leave our car there for the duration.

Generously 'giving' parking (but including it in the rent) would be considered a godsend for the car owners!
A four week booking! what bliss!
EdinburghCityApartments

Post by EdinburghCityApartments »

Hi Alexis,

What a coincidence - I was just looking at your flats this week online as I'm looking at purchasing a 2nd flat around your area and while looking on Google, saw your details. Even showed your website to a friend and said this is how I'd want my next flat to look! (well, the same idea - not ripping off your design or anything!!)

Anyway...mid-week bookings. Not great for me either. I've a studio in Tollcross. But I was wanting to beat my targets and lowered all prices down so at worst for March was taking £35 a night for a 2 night stay.

I'm not a location someone's going to look for on a map so have to rely on those filtering by price but it's worked well to fill gaps last minute.

You've got the benefit of people looking for location.

I personally just work out how much it costs me for a changeover (cleaning/laundry/hamper) and make sure I'm getting an ok profit on top of that for any mid-week gaps.

What are you trying to charge for mid-weeks and do you take 2 nights or do you look for 3/4 night stays?

Thanks,

Lisa
Alexis

Post by Alexis »

EdinburghCentralApts wrote:Hi Alexis,

What a coincidence - I was just looking at your flats this week online as I'm looking at purchasing a 2nd flat around your area and while looking on Google, saw your details. Even showed your website to a friend and said this is how I'd want my next flat to look! (well, the same idea - not ripping off your design or anything!!)

Anyway...mid-week bookings. Not great for me either. I've a studio in Tollcross. But I was wanting to beat my targets and lowered all prices down so at worst for March was taking £35 a night for a 2 night stay.

I'm not a location someone's going to look for on a map so have to rely on those filtering by price but it's worked well to fill gaps last minute.

You've got the benefit of people looking for location.

I personally just work out how much it costs me for a changeover (cleaning/laundry/hamper) and make sure I'm getting an ok profit on top of that for any mid-week gaps.

What are you trying to charge for mid-weeks and do you take 2 nights or do you look for 3/4 night stays?

Thanks,

Lisa
Thank you for your kind comments, that is a coincidence!
Currently I am offering week nights at 20% less than weekends but I'm rethinking that.

Post by Guest »

:?:
Last edited by Guest on Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alexis

Post by Alexis »

That was incredibly helpful, thank you!
I'll have a think about your suggestions and take another look at my prices, min nights etc.

Also just want to let everyone know that I now have a page of prices on my website so hopefully that will stop potential guests from moving on without enquiring!
waterwitch

Post by waterwitch »

7Aspire - really useful stuff. My experience was similar - when I changed tactics to 3 night min. weekend the majority of enquirers went ahead and booked and that made a significant difference to revenue. It's a godsend over the winter months.
Crossways

Post by Crossways »

Alexis your apartments and website look fab. I particularly like the kids bed above the adult one!
Alexis

Post by Alexis »

Crossways wrote:Alexis your apartments and website look fab. I particularly like the kids bed above the adult one!
Thanks so much! I've made a few changes thanks to the great advice from the lovely people on here and I got a professional photographer in to do them justice... I'm hoping that pays off!

I love that little bed too... When your up there at night with the little light on it's a lovely cosy wee space.

Thanks again,
Ax
charles cawley

Post by charles cawley »

You can use a simple excel spread sheet system to apply percentages of a full weekly rate for any combination of days. Say Arrive Saturday depart Wednesday. Or standard Friday to Monday and Monday to Friday.

There's no doubt that weekend nights are considered substantially more valuable in country locations... but this may not always apply in towns and cities. The impact of the seasons will also be different.

Some use the simple rate ratchet method by reducing rates radically and pushing them up to meet demand. This is much better than no income and, although it might cost a bit to get to the optimum net income, it is a tried and tested system.

I can send you that Excel Spread sheet. It is a very useful bit of kit letting you change percentages for any permutation of arrive and depart days as well as, of course, permitting changes in period weekly rates.
No web-site for now.
Advice about holiday letting