Property Location

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Angiey

Property Location

Post by Angiey »

Hi all. Looking to buy first holiday rental property. Have a choice of two. One is three bedroom single storey semi detached in quiet cul de sac with fenced garden, off road private parking for 2 vehicles and approximately 10 min walk into town centre. The other is a two bedroom flat with upstairs and downstairs so steps to get up to front door and living room, bathroom and kitchen and two bedrooms upstairs. Nothing above this and an office below which closes at 5pm. Has parking for one car and is located centr ally in town but in quiet side street.
I was just wondering with all the knowledge on here which one would be the best to go for to maximise bookings ie 3 bedroom with garden and 10 min walk or 2 bedrooms and no walk but trade off is access. ie steps and no garden.
Thanks.
tavi

Post by tavi »

Hi angiey,

I think we need more information...

the semi in a cul-de-sac sounds better for families but is the area a place where families want to go?

The two bedder sounds great if it's the city that's the attraction - guests can leave their car and walk everywhere?

Is the town/area seaside, countryside, city hols, historic?

Does the area attract nature lovers, party goers, families, young people, retirees?
Angiey

Post by Angiey »

Hi. Thanks. It's an Island off NW coast of Scotland. Isle of Skye and Town is Portree. Its only a small town. There are only limited shops etc so the main reason people would stay in Portree is to probably use it as a base to tour the Island and enjoy the pubs and restaurants at night. There are lots of visitors who do a lot of walking and climbing etc.
The area attracts all of the above.
tavi

Post by tavi »

just had a quick Google - Portree looks so pretty!

Of course none of us can actually tell you what's best out of the two. Have you checked out the listing sites, Trip Advisor, restaurant reviews...see what kinds of places are available and what people are saying about them? Look at the rates people are charging for 2 bed town flats compared to 3 bedroom houses. There may not be much difference in the rates, but your costs would be higher for the house?

A two bedroom town flat would suit both couples and small families - whereas a couple may be less likely to want a three bedroom house.

My place sleeps two, has a sea view and guests can walk easily into the village to eat and drink. I could sleep four but choose not to (really not enough room in fact), - less wear and tear - lower laundry costs...etc. So you can see where I'm coming from.

Hopefully some of the others will be along to help give a broader view.

:)
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

Hi Angiey
Seeing as it's Portree, my feeling is that the house with garden would be better for you. People go to the Highlands and Islands get away from city life and a lack of a garden to sit out in on a nice evening (yes, I know... midges, but they tend to be conveniently forgotten when they're booking) will likely impact on bookings. Perhaps it's out of your price range but the ideal would be any cottage in the countryside - I can't speak for the whole of the Highlands, but certainly where I used to live round Strathspey and further west in Glencoe, it was the detached cottages in the countryside that got the most bookings (and repeat bookings). Easy walking access to the nearest village was useful but not essential as everyone in the bracket of wishing to stay in a holiday let needs a car to get around.
Angiey

Post by Angiey »

Thanks gitemontjoly. They are both roughly the same price. My own way of thinking is probably the same as yourself though if I was personally booking either one I would pick the flat. I have to try and think it is not what I would pick that matters but get it from other peoples point of view. There is some cosmetic work that would have to be done on 3 bed ie new doors, painting etc but flat is more or less ready.
I suppose the trade off is a 10 min walk as opposed to location.
Decisions, Decisions.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

My instinct says house over flat because of the type of market you will be appealing too, but make the house as quaint and cottagey as possible to appeal to the romantics as well as the outdoorsy types. The mental image of a semi-detached bungalow in a cul-de-sac is not really hitting the 'desire' button for me. Is it an old, stone built house or something modern?The town and surrounding areas look lovely though!
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

My two centimes worth ... there's a lot about Scotland, and in particular the isles, that I love - but one thing I don't love (understatement) is the preponderance of bungalows!

If you're going to let successfully, you need a USP. That might be an exceptional location, it might be an unusual property, it might be real island character. You need to put yourself into the shoes of someone looking for a holiday in Portree - what do they think when they see your headline photo? Do they take a sharp intake of breath and go "wow!"? Or do they move on because there's nothing to make your property stand out?

A 3 bedroom semi on (I suspect) an estate is never going to have the wow factor; not, I suspect, is a flat with an office underneath.

Sorry to be a dampener, but buying a holiday rental is a huge decision and a huge investment. Lots of people will tell you to buy with your head; I'll tell you to listen first to your heart, and only then get your head involved! Find a property that makes you jump up and down for joy, even if you have to wait - because if it doesn't do that to you, it sure as hell won't do it to anyone else!
kg1

Post by kg1 »

I'm with FC on the flat - I wouldn't want to holiday over an office/shop (Also what guarantees do you have that the office will stay just that? If they move on/ go bust you have no idea what would replace them.)

I really would wait until something more suitable becomes available.
Angiey

Post by Angiey »

Thanks all. I can appreciate what you all say. The thing here though is that I have looked into properties in Portree itself and a lot of them are semis, bungalows, flats etc so the majority are let regardless of looks, wow factor etc.April to October is the main season and according to letting agency are pretty well booked up. To get a traditional croft houses with views you have to move out of Portree and the rental price and occupancy levels are much the same if not a little less.
It seems that people want to be in Portree regardless. I was looking to do short term breaks etc in winter in off season to maximise income hence the original question. I have spoken to an independant local letting agency and they were very upbeat about the location of the flat. The office underneath the flat is actually the tourist office. Maybe that is a plus point!!

This is one example
http://www.ihcottages.com/property/?id= ... startdate=
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

We once rented what was essentially a flat over the fishing tackle shop in Brixham, Devon. It's USP was the bay window overlooking the harbour and view of the replica Golden Hind. We had a lovely holiday as we could either wander about the town and harbour or drive elsewhere We seriously considered purchasing another nearby flat for a rental which had far less character.
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
Beachcondo

Post by Beachcondo »

From my point of view I would prefer the flat.
More likely to rent to smaller and medium groups (better for off-season rentals, where you'll probably have more couples than families)

For me the garden would be an obstacle.
Unless you live close by, (and enjoy gardening) it will be an added stressfactor during change overs.
Pessimists only get positive surprises.
other

Post by other »

. .
Last edited by other on Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

:?:
Last edited by Guest on Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by Guest »

:?:
Last edited by Guest on Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.