Happy Ironing

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Ju

Post by Ju »

Sorry for the late result, it was my birthday yesterday so I decided to take the day off.

I've timed my ironing this morning, I ironed 2 single sheets (one fitted and one flat), 1 double sheet (fitted), 2 single duvet covers, 1 double duvet cover and 4 pillow cases. Total time 30 minutes flat.

Crystal, I couldn't work out from your post whether you had just ironed the sheets, or whether you had done the duvet covers as well.

Joanna, I normally work on two to three hours for my 5 bedroomed house; That includes for loo breaks and dealing with small childrens requests. Jon has taken the girls out this morning (peace at last!) so my time trial was just ironing for once.

I'd better get on with the rest of it I suppose.

Happy ironing.

Ju
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Who is the Forum's champion for the shortest time taken to do the ironing for the Gites? Joan of course - time taken is zero.

Stances may be taken on the ironing -v- non-ironing question but judgements can't be made until one has seen and experienced the end product.

The arbiters are Joan’s guests and they are very happy.

Fluffy
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Crystal, I couldn't work out from your post whether you had just ironed the sheets, or whether you had done the duvet covers as well.
A belated Happy Birthday for yesterday Ju!

No..I ironed just the sheets...although I would have preferred pressing flat sheets than the fitted ones!

Looks like your'e the winner!! :lol:
Last edited by Guest3 on Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ju

Post by Ju »

That is all well and good Alan, but I have a total of 22 beds, each with at least two sets of bedding. I cannot afford to replace all my bedding with non-iron bedding. On top of that all my bedding has been bought to carefully co-ordinate with the interiors. Even if I could find genuine non-iron 100% cotton bedding, I doubt very much that I could get them to co-ordinate with my bedrooms.

So for now I'll just have to stick to ironing.

Ju
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Ju,

I agree, the cost of replacing everything would be prohibitive. We chose non-iron at the outset so can replace as and when necessary.
Even if I could find genuine non-iron 100% cotton bedding….
I think you have put your finger on it. Most of what is advertised as non-iron but doesn’t stay that way for long. Genuine long-term non-iron is not a cheap alternative.

Our furniture, floors and decorations are relatively neutral so colour co-ordination is no problem.

Alan
enid

Post by enid »

Most of what is advertised as non-iron but doesn’t stay that way for long.
Yes that's my concern I have met Joan and seen Alan's place so I am sure the sheets are the best quality and that the beds look lovely - but I have bought expensive non-iron in th epast and been disappointed. I like white cotton sheets as they feel cool and look clean and for that look I am prepared to do the ironing. Am I mad? :D
Ju

Post by Ju »

Crystal wrote: No..I ironed just the sheets...although I would have preferred pressing flat sheets than the fitted ones!

Looks like your'e the winner!! :lol:
Looks like I'll be sticking with the ironing centre then. Shame I can't use it sitting down (actually lying down would be even better, failing that getting someone else to do it!).

I like white cotton sheets as they feel cool and look clean and for that look I am prepared to do the ironing. Am I mad?
Enid, No I don't think you are mad, any more than I am mad for co-ordinating everything. Heaven forbid if the wrong duvet cover got put in the wrong room!!

Ju
A-two

Post by A-two »

I went ahead with the Elna Alize for $178 including shipping. No tax because I bought out of state, and it will be here in 2-3 business days. So I'm very pleased with that deal.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Enid,
enid wrote:
Most of what is advertised as non-iron but doesn’t stay that way for long.
Yes that's my concern I have met Joan and seen Alan's place so I am sure the sheets are the best quality and that the beds look lovely - but I have bought expensive non-iron in th epast and been disappointed. I like white cotton sheets as they feel cool and look clean and for that look I am prepared to do the ironing. Am I mad?
Many thanks for the comments.

I agree, it's not easy to find genuine long-term non-iron material. So often the treatment washes out and you finish up with the ironing you were trying to avoid.

Are you mad? Not in the slightest. In the UK, Joan had a home-help who absolutely adored ironing. Was she mad? Not in the slightest and, because she adored ironing, she did a fantastic job.

As a final note, I think that ironed sheets always feel a little cooler and a little crisper than non-iron (and I hate nylon sheets with a vengeance).

Fluffy