Forum Newbie/Pembrokeshire Coast National Park

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
CatNewHome

Forum Newbie/Pembrokeshire Coast National Park

Post by CatNewHome »

Good morning all,

I have been running a holiday let business for a year and I would like your help and your expertise with the following please.

I have achieved 82 days of rental (2013-14) but I'm worried,

1) I only have 6 bookings for 2015? I currently advertise with OD. In March I have had in excess of 245 viewings but hardly any enquires. Are people booking late? I have checked the local properties but not many in the same category. Is my pricing not correct?

2) Is not accepting pet an issue? but from last year, I've only had 3 people with dogs.

4) I have opened it for short stay 3 nights

5) I'm looking for a cleaner and a keen gardner near Little Haven...Can you recommend one please?

I speak fluently French and I lived in France... I'm happy to help.

I look forward to reading your posts
Outdoor play...keeps the doctor away.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I have more forward bookings for this year than any previous year. However I've been a business a few years and spent a lot of time and effort on a new website plus general marketing last year. So it's not necessarily true that people are booking late.

Just from your area, I would say short breaks from dog owners would probably be a big market for you, so by not appealing to that market, you're going to make life a lot harder for yourself. You would need to target other niche markets such as walkers to find your target market.

One listing site is not going to bring in all your business; so start using keywords to find other sites to list on. Do you have a website? If not, it's worth the time and investment if you want to build a year round holiday business.
CatNewHome

Thank you

Post by CatNewHome »

Thank you for your feedback.

I will modify my advert to include "dog welcome" I do advertise on AirB&B and that helped greatly with short breaks.

I have decided not to build my own website yet due to exposure rate but I'm currently working on a Facebook page and also Twitter.

Kind regards
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I'd put your effort into a website first. If you are in this for the long haul it will reap dividends from the outset. It doesn't have to be expensive or too fancy but a website should be the hub for all your marketing efforts including facebook and twitter. You can expand it as the need arises. Promote my Place is used by many members here for a cheap way to get a professional looking site up very quickly.
CatNewHome

Post by CatNewHome »

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I agree it's critical for long term success of the business.

I look forward to hearing from people from that part of the world.
tavi

Post by tavi »

Hi Cat,

I'm not in your part of the world so no comparison, though I do advertise through OD, one other site and also have a website and FB page.

I've been letting my main apartment (of 2) for 4 years - I think every year is different. I have less viewings on my OD listing but this year many more UK bookings and much, much earlier. Each year is different and it's often difficult to know why.

You could consider linking to your OD listing to ask here for constructive criticisms? Sometimes just improving the lead photos or highlighting your USP can be enough to tip the balance back in your favour - especially when there's loads of competition.

And put the thread somewhere visible not in "the Cafe"...

welcome btw :)
anya752000

Post by anya752000 »

Hi Cat,
I am also in Pembrokeshire - there are a few of us on the forum.

I have 180 nights booked for this year and a lot of those are people with dogs. It is definitely a big market for us.

I also only advertise on OD but also have a number of repeat bookings.

If you add a link to your OD ad we can have a look at the property.

I love little haven, it's a great area and I would have thought you would have been busier.
CatNewHome

Post by CatNewHome »

Thank you for your feedback. I have planned to take more photos of each bedroom, garden (now is maturing) during a sunny day.

We offer our guests a tray for their first drink...Milk, Tea, Hot chocolate and coffee beans (grinder machine available) for a fresh cup of coffee...sorry, I love my coffee. It is too much???
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I don't think your welcome tray has any influence on your lack of bookings, I know that much. :wink:
CatNewHome

Post by CatNewHome »

Thank you Nemo...I'm sure it does not but I thought it might be too much...
kg1

Post by kg1 »

CatNewHome wrote:Thank you Nemo...I'm sure it does not but I thought it might be too much...
It depends on your price range. Does it cost much to supply it?
I really don't think it matters to guests booking - it's just a 'nice to have extra'.

We don't make up a tray but do provide tea, coffee, sugar, milk & wine.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

CatNewHome wrote:Yes, I agree it's critical for long term success of the business.
Hi

I'm afraid I'm not in your part of the world. Having your own website is crucial for early success too and not just long term. You cannot rely on just being on a listing site/s. Most guests will want to verify your existence and will do a google search in the hope of finding your own website etc. A website is a must in this day and age as it boosts consumer confidence in you. You can sell yourself so much better on your own site, especially when listing sites often restrict word counts. Google analytics proves how many guests click through to the link to my own website from OD. I'm not saying other factors aren't involved but a lack of website will definitely be a major drawback.
tavi

Post by tavi »

As I said upthread, if you really want some in-depth advice as to why you might not be getting the enquiries you'd be better linking to your listing (or website when you get one). I do appreciate you might prefer to maintain your privacy at this stage though.

We can advise on random things like welcome tray etc. but for more bookings - or at least more enquiries - you need someone impartial to look at your listing as a potential guest might.

I see you mention you're taking more photos soon - certainly good photos will help enormously.

No I don't think a welcome tray as you describe is too much. Creating a good feeling the moment they walk through the door is well worth it the effort.
brightmike

Post by brightmike »

anya752000 wrote: I have disabled my website direct link after advice
Sorry to go off topic but why have you disabled your direct link?
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

That's actually a good question brightmike - I have no inkling :?