What guests really want in a villa...

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Gazpacho

What guests really want in a villa...

Post by Gazpacho »

Interesting thread on the Mumsnet forums about what people want in a (luxury-ish) villa! One wonders what people are prepared to pay for all these features....
http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/shorthaul/2 ... ctor-draws
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Interesting...but also pretty normal stuff. Sounds like some have learned from experience, in so much they have stayed in places that have slightly mis-sold (they mention the word luxury being over used).

Don't think there's anything there I was surprised about apart from the person who wanted all evidence of previous people removed. We do leave stuff that is still useable (fruit, eggs etc) and that does include packets of pasta BUT I know that people do use them.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
annedab

Post by annedab »

Well, nothing outrageous there, but it would be interesting to find out how the op (the mumsnet one) feels after her first season when many of the lovely must-haves have been broken/accidentally taken home and the expensive towels and linen are covered in make-up and sun cream. Don't get me wrong - all those things sound great, but as gazpacho says, they do come at a price. I'm just pleased that I don't have a sticky, germ filled box of Lego to sort out every changeover :roll:
Regards

Anne

If there's no such thing as co-incidence, then why is there a word for it?
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

But nobody mentioned a salad spinner :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nor a dishwasher - and I would certainly want one on a self-catering holiday.

Sufficient lighting to facilitate reading, both in living room and in bedroom/s is a must, I agree.

And as for the "comfortable looking sofa so I can read in the evening" - surely it would be better if it actually was comfortable, not just appeared comfortable? :roll: Some of those rather square-shaped, low backed sofas with large pluffy cushions look good, but do my back no favours whatsoever. :shock:

I understand about not wanting to find all the old oddments of foodstuffs abandoned by previous renters - I think leaving half used bottles of mayo or marmalade is not a good idea. We remove all the opened packets of cereals, jams, sauces, etc - but sometimes leave (for guests we know) rice or pasta as it will be cooked.

Interesting to note the comments about not liking to see other people in the photos of the property....
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

PW in Polemi wrote: I understand about not wanting to find all the old oddments of foodstuffs abandoned by previous renters - I think leaving half used bottles of mayo or marmalade is not a good idea. We remove all the opened packets of cereals, jams, sauces, etc - but sometimes leave (for guests we know) rice or pasta as it will be cooked.

Interesting to note the comments about not liking to see other people in the photos of the property....
I agree about the half-used packets of food and half-used bottles. We remove such things, but make an exception for salt and a pepper grinder. We also keep the sugar canister filled as also the olive oil flask (we are in Greece). Last season we took away enough half filled bottle of balsamic vinegar to keep us going this year and next, so I think we will make an exception with that too, because I believe it is expensive. Also on change-over we put new toilet rolls straight out of their wrappers and leave a supply.

I don't like seeing shots of other people when they are inside the accommodation in a photo gallery. Nonsense perhaps, but I get the feeling that they are "invading my space". Looking at one or two OD photo galleries for properties in our localities, I have seen photographs of people which make me cringe and laugh at the same time. There is one with a big full-face photo of 'mine hostess' - nice person I don't doubt - but no oil painting. The shock makes me physically pull my head back from the computer screen. There is another with a fully dressed man wearing farm boots lying back on a sunbed, with a look on his face that he shouldn't really be there.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

The fridge at my place only ever contains the new items that form part of the welcome pack, but occasionally dry goods are retained in the cupboard (sugar, salt, pepper). Nothing that could conceivably have had people's hands in it though. If I find that stock has started to build up I will ruthlessly chuck things out.

I do tend to leave olive oil because it's cheap in Spain and vital if you are going to get straight out and lob a few things on the barbie but easily forgotten in the initial shopping spree.

I agree that photos advertising your property should not show any people because that completely spoils the 'selling the dream' thing. I have seen some absolute horrors on some listings. I also don't like highly personal items such as family photos in the property itself because it does make me feel like I am intruding into somebody else's space.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Annedab I thought that! Aftr one season her bubble will burst :lol:

As for foodstuffs...can I ask what the problem with bottles of balsamic, tomato sauce etc are? The tops are not open so the contents can't be tampered with so I don't understand the issue :oops:

pondering Mousie
x
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Mouse wrote:
As for foodstuffs...can I ask what the problem with bottles of balsamic, tomato sauce etc are? The tops are not open so the contents can't be tampered with so I don't understand the issue
With bottles, jars etc. you don't really know how they've been stored. Mayo needs to be refrigerated but the fact that it is in the fridge doesn't mean that it wasn't languishing on a garden table in full sun for three days before being popped back into the chiller as the guests were leaving. Also how long have they been open for? The use by date on a jar is for the unopened contents but once opened they usually have to be stored in a fridge and consumed fairly quickly. As a visitor I would not want to eat half consumed stuff and would not welcome finding sticky jars lurking in fridge and cupboards. I know it's a waste to chuck things away, but I'd rather clear out the contents and recycle the containers.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

I remove all unused food except things like salt and pepper etc but must admit to leaving a bottle of tomato sauce. We have a local chippie and got fed up of guests knocking on the door asking to 'borrow' some sauce.

I know someone whose main advertising photo is a family picture including dog. I've always thought it odd, off-putting and irrelevant. Now it's confirmed.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I'm not talking about jars Casscat, I mentioned only containers that can't be tampered with ordinarily.
I also exclude those out of date items in my question as I certainly wouldn't leave those for guests.

Mousie
x
p.s. HP sauce, balsamic vinegar etc. doesn't need to be refrigerated (and often isn't judging by the amount of bottles I see languishing on tables in cafes around the world ) :lol:
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Not sure about the piano though :?
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

M leaves the Oil, vinegars, and mustard as well as Salt and pepper. There is usually some Yorkshire teabags too, which have been very popular.
I have a selection of herbs and spices there which i replenish if necessary when we visit. (actual contents of the spice rack. varies depending on what I have cooked). Other unopened and non-perishable stuff is left in the cupboard. Open bags of pasta and rice are transferred to an airtight container, and have proved useful for late arrivals.
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

kyreniagirl wrote:Not sure about the piano though :?
Oh please don't let it be a villa near mine!
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
Bree

Post by Bree »

I actually have been asked for a piano not too often but they do ask?
We don't have one so you are okay Sam...
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

I had guests in for a couple of weeks in between house moves - they brought with them two large keyboards. They obviously couldn't survive without them!