Ironing Boards

Come for a relaxed chat about anything at all and meet your fellow rental owners.
Bunny

Ironing Boards

Post by Bunny »

I'm about to buy a new ironing board to try to speed up the job. I've seen extra wide ones and ones with square ends but not a combination of both. Has anyone any experience of either type and can you recommend? Thanks as always...
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Can't help on the recommendation of where to find one but just to say that I got an extra wide one (no square end) from Lidl years ago and it was the best thing I ever did.
It also has an extra high setting which is perfect for me as I'm tall but also is very good when ironing king sized sheets.

They are quite rare here so I was very lucky. Most Spanish women are much smaller and so it follows I think that the boards are narrower and lower.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Normandie

Post by Normandie »

I have an extra wide, extra long one and it is excellent. I wouldn't want one with square ends (assuming you 'pull' stuff over the square ends) because they'd snag (I'm guessing) whereas you need stuff to slide on smoothly and the pointy end enables that.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I'd agree normandie; pointy ends are fab for fitted sheets. Makes ironing the fitted bit so much easier.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
GRL

Post by GRL »

I bought an extra wide ironing board for my birthday last year (I know how to treat myself) - best thing I ever did and speeded up ironing so much.
GRL

Post by GRL »

I bought an extra wide ironing board for my birthday last year (I know how to treat myself) - best thing I ever did and speeded up ironing so much.
SandyBeaches

Post by SandyBeaches »

Mouse wrote:I'd agree normandie; pointy ends are fab for fitted sheets. Makes ironing the fitted bit so much easier.

Mouse
x
You iron fitted sheets? OK, so our laundry does the cottage ones but I just fold mine at home. :oops:
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

SandyBeaches wrote:
Mouse wrote:I'd agree normandie; pointy ends are fab for fitted sheets. Makes ironing the fitted bit so much easier.

Mouse
x
You iron fitted sheets? OK, so our laundry does the cottage ones but I just fold mine at home. :oops:
Ditto SandyBeaches. We have a nifty folding trick that helps them fold well, that my OH showed me how to do, but ironing sheets? Not for me. :wink:
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

I've no intention of ironing sheets! The problem with pointy ends is that you miss a bit every time you move the item forward to the next section when ironing large items. Apparently you can also iron a whole shirt front with the square ended ones, but I really want to be able to iron quilt covers quickly as most of the time I don't currently bother at all. Hum, sounds like the wider ones are more advantageous?
ellerhow

Post by ellerhow »

How about ironing on the table?
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Nemo wrote:
SandyBeaches wrote:

Mouse
x
Ditto SandyBeaches. We have a nifty folding trick that helps them fold well, that my OH showed me how to do, but ironing sheets? Not for me. :wink:
Is it possible to explain this trick, without the need of a video demo, Nemo? When I try to fold fitted sheets they just end up all screwed up.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

ellerhow wrote:How about ironing on the table?
EEk! My dining table is my most prized piece of furniture which will be with me until my death bed. It's big enough but I'd get tired out walking around it! :lol:
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Bunny wrote: Is it possible to explain this trick, without the need of a video demo, Nemo? When I try to fold fitted sheets they just end up all screwed up.
Well I just searched and found this which is a slightly different version of what we do. It's basically the process of putting one corner inside another that makes it flatter. Start the video 40 seconds in. I couldn't explain it without a video no, I just don't plan to star in one! :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z5k9nWcuFc
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Nemo wrote:
Bunny wrote: Is it possible to explain this trick, without the need of a video demo, Nemo? When I try to fold fitted sheets they just end up all screwed up.
Well I just searched and found this which is a slightly different version of what we do. It's basically the process of putting one corner inside another that makes it flatter. Start the video 40 seconds in. I couldn't explain it without a video no, I just don't plan to star in one! :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z5k9nWcuFc
Wow, I think I'll have to watch it a few times to grasp it! Thanks.